Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Magic Midget

I don't think it's the worst summer I ever remember, although memory plays tricks. 2012 was terrible across most of the country bar the north west. I remember 1980, 1985 and 1986. 1985 was very, very bad after the 25/26 July thunderstorms. Had a lovely September. 1986 was a really cold summer aswell as wet. August had a mean temp like October. 1986 was a very cold year all round. February and April stand out for coldness. Feb was mostly dry and cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Interesting you mention June 20 Gonzo. That’s my recollection of June too. I’ve heard and seen on here people declaring the whole month of June to have been glorious. I don’t think it was. The final 10 days were very very mixed.

Def would agree it’s not the worst summer ever. It’s shite though and July has been pretty bad even by Irish standards. No amount of 18 degrees and showers makes it good for me sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Billcarson

The last 2 summers were decent for most, it was too much to expect 3 in a row in this country and indeed it was too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Humid dry morning.

Intervals of drizzle and bursts of rain since 2pm. Breezy.

19⁰ Meath

Normally the folk in West always saying it's raining there😆. This must be what it feels like. A poor July here anyway. Back in June there was banter about their temps and sunshine hours compared to the East which was lacking in comparison.

Event at home in West cancelled this Sunday as conditions of the ground in Galway are poor after this months rain. Not to mention forecast Sunday looks like the worst of the days this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭OldRio

Showers today and it's getting rather windy. 17C.

Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭obi604

East Galway. Rain, cold. Sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

From June 20th weather was fairly showery but temperatures were still in the 20s in the West. Compare that to July mixedness and 14 to 18c in the West. A vastly different feel. Can feel the Autumn chill coming now. Seems we will need the heating oil bought in August this year. 12 to 16c could be our lot some of the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Magic Midget

I notice a lot of friends with colds and sore throats etc. Usually you might get those in September when the days are warm and then temperatures drop in the evening. July is very early for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

What’s the science behind that it’s generally nice and sunny early morning but this gives way to muck late morning

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Very basically, during the morning the sun heats the land, which warms the (moist) air, warmed (moist) air rises, condenses and forms cloud. Once the sun/heat is gone, the cloud dissipates/disappears.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Wow, its windy, cool and damp in West Limerick this morning, it feels like an Autumn morning!! How can this be July?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Noctilucents observed at 04.10 (Dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

And its only going to get colder next week...this global boiling is terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

The eternal optimist in me is holding out for a good August/September - maybe even one of these long-mooted, but rarely seen, "Indian Summers".

But looking at the long term forecasts, as uncertain and unreliable as they are, wouldn't inspire confidence..

If anyone has anything positive to cling on to, I'm all ears 😁

The positive to cling on to is that Ryanair might have a flash sale again soon and we’ll be able to get off this rock for a few weeks of good weather not the pretend stuff that breaks out here every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭muchos04

Any idea where the best place to view it from without getting caught in all the crazy traffic? Coming from West Wicklow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A warm and dry September is entirely possible after a cool washout summer, it has happened before. It's entirely possible that September could finish up warmer than July if we get very lucky with warm high pressure ridging throughout the month from the south or south-east. Septembers are generally decent months in Ireland but we can get some cool washout Septembers like last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 board silly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Billcarson

First bit of Halloween stuff already on the shelves autumn is coming.....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

The weather gods can be really cruel.

As others have said, a very good September is entirely possible and I expect this will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Sunny and breezy and feels humid as well after an early morning shower. Not a bad day at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I was away on the continent in the heat for a couple of weeks up to last weekend. Gotta say the past week here in Dublin has not been bad at all. Few days in low 20s and mostly dry. Expected far worse after what I was hearing while I was away. Even today in Dublin is very pleasant.

While July has clearly been very poor, important to remember May and June were lovely. Getting three months in a row was always going to be a tall order.

Met a lot of people from UK on holiday and they said weather in England and Scotland has been atrocious since latter part of June

The weather in Ireland has been atrocious in Ireland since the latter part of June slasher. Were you in Dublin on Monday and Wednesday? I was and I got wet both days. Not sure about May being lovely either. it was dry. Not in Dublin today but sun in and out and it’s very windy bordering on blustery for July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Windy and frequent heavy showers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The weather in general has been poor since June 20th. Plenty of rain final 10 days of June with the final day of June itself a complete write off. July has been mostly awful with the exception of the weekend of the 7th/8th of July where we got low 20s and sunshine. We've had 2 washout July weekends since that nice weekend and we had another washout on Wednesday. Every other day has had showers or rain of some description of various intensities and it's been mostly cool. Today is not as bad as recent weekends however it still not very pleasant outside, we've had several heavy showers already and a very strong wind but I suppose at least there is a bit of sun to go with it.

The outlook on the bbc yesterday was poor, strong jet stream. Find it quite cold today. Waiting anxiously for a decent spell for hay making, if we get one. Remember roasting last year around middle of august.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 samyo30

I didn't see anywhere that it was going to rain too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭OldRio

'May and June were lovely'

Seriously?

'getting three months in a row was always going to be a tall order'

One will do.

People in England and Scotland saying the weather has been atrocious since the latter part of June.

And the weather here has been?

Advertisement