Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Devil is in the detail. Is that 2:1 to 5:1 done by reapportioning the total pie or is it simply a statistical fudge of slashing the roads side. So far it seems the latter.

Edit: Changed former to latter. My Latin is not great on Friday nights.

Post edited by PommieBast on

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

And why are the words " but you're not a climate scientist.... " NOT applied here to his statement ?

( Oh , I forgot , agenda / narrative and all that ..... ) .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

the photo alone is so off putting, it’s surreal.

But what has this got to do with the thread’s title?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

I will make it very easy for you to understand: the Green Plan is..simply..not..going..to...work. It cannot work as the numbers don't add up. It is based on wishful thinking or Hopium if you will. Ive used the grid as a prime example. But the greens seem deliberately vague on the precise details which you absolutely need. They want to replace a working system with a faulty one. We are used to energy systems getting better. That is progress. Who in his right mind would suggest something worse? I tell you who. It's those believing in an Armageddon. A climate apocalypse. So then anything goes. The 3 monkies. And i will finally tell you something else: IF rapid climate change is happening this new system is going to make things worse, much worse. People are going to die. The Green Agenda won't be saving people. It is going to KILL people. The Greens are increasingly losing support everywhere. With all the current global problems climate change is simply not an issue except for those in the cities w a secure income and the energy ignorant who are being lied to by the msm.

I rest my case. Im done with you. You are on IGNORE.

Ps: more irony: you use the name 'electricus'. You need to school yourself on that front..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Those panels tend not to work very well when covered with snow though.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

I posted a link a while back showing how far behind Eirgrid are on their 2012 transmission reinforcement plans. They are a decade behind and showing no signs of improving. This talk of 30 GW of wind by 2030 is physically impossible as we will not have the grid ready to connect them too.

The other insane part is that EU policy actually allows gas to be used as a bridging fuel until the right solutions can be found. SMRs are being developed with reactors in the 500MW range, which is perfect for our grid. Currently the largest generation unit is ~400MW so it would tie in nicely to our conventional transmission system.

Is that 2:1 to 5:1 done by reapportioning the total pie or is it simply a statistical fudge of slashing the roads side.

I don't think that matters, the important aspect is the increased resources and focus. Whatever way the funding is sourced doesn't make a difference to me, it will to others but not to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

I take it 2-3 times a week and believe me its a great form of transport at mass movement of people. I can get a train direct to a station, walk across and onto a Luas. It actually is the first time Ireland reminds me of when I was living in European cities and you could do similar

In terms of my suggestion for the Luas to airport, thats just a mid term solution while the metro gets built but its better than nothing and you could link Swords to the city

A train line would be far better and also from a tourism point of view make it alot easier to travel around Ireland than car rental etc.

It would also be a lot quicker

Of course it makes sense to invest in public transport. How can anyone honestly think it doesn't? we have a country that nobody can get around without a car. We have spent billions and billions on roads. We do a bypass of a town and the traffic just moves down the road to the next. At some stage the penny might drop with politicians and people that roads are not the answer

We have an extensive road system, I can drive all around Ireland and get to every nook and cranny

Now we need a public transport system to do the system.

It ridiculous how little of the country is covered by trains, which is the best form of transport to mass move people. Big game on this weekend but how many people will be able to take trains from all over Ireland to go and have a few pints and enjoy the game. Then travel home safe?

I know you are totally obsessed with the Green Party, plenty more on boards we well. This has nothing to do with the Green party and the thread is about Green policies which all parties have. Plenty of thread to bash the Green Party on. I will join you by the way. What I am talking about all parties in Ireland should be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭electricus

The grid needs major improvements regardless of power source, but we need to get over nimbyism for that to happen, never mind nuclear generation!

SMRs as you say, are in development. Hopefully we’ll have those soon, along with fusion generation which is also in development.

Do you think we should just stop using gas in the EU? I don’t think that would be sensible right now. Using gas is a lot better than coal.

• Advertisement

Yes back roads are coverage. I drive all around Ireland all the time. The chance of getting a pothole filled road is slim. Like a lot of things in Ireland people exaggerate

Now when I was growing up the roads in Ireland was a disgrace. Its a millions times better now

I suppose we could do nothing, continue as we are, take a chance on you being right, and hope for the best. Hopium indeed.

You correctly said the numbers don’t add up, but does progress always mean greater consumption without a thought for efficiency? If that’s the case, we’re still on a path to run out of power and resources regardless of climate changes.

The evolution of computer CPUs is a good example. Manufactures who continue to develop legacy designs are reaching their limits. The rest of the industry moves on with more efficient designs which consume less power, producing less heat with longer battery life in mobile devices,

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Of course it is a viable mass transit system. Light rail is used all over the world and is a perfectly sensible form of mass transit. Doesn't need to solve every problem all on its own

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

A spotlight on your nonsense more like. Yet another link dump to a puffed up opinion piece with not a shred of scientific evidence. You probably wrote it yourself, it's that bad. Plus it's behind a paywall so coining it for a click bait driven greenwasher.

There should be some rule in this thread that dumping a link and a one liner, without any furthering of the debate, results in a ban on further posting of links for a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,385 ✭✭✭prunudo

The Luas works great as it is intended, a street level tram service. Anything more than 10km and the line is too long in my opinion.

Start trying to increase frequency and capacity and the model starts to falter. Just look at the constraints the current green line faces due to the short sightedness in its initial design and thinking the solution is to add longer and longer carriages. To design and build a Luas to the airport instead of Metro would be a farce and tbh, if that happens we may as well give up on any aspirations of having a modern public transport system.

Also regarding the the 5:1 split in funding, I've no problem with that, as long as road funding stays the same. The idea you can reduce spending money on roads as the population heads to 6m is laughable.

its not a replacement for metro

Its a temporary solution while we build metro which is years away. You could “cheaply” install a Luas line was the point the guy was making and it would do till metro comes online

Temporary, you make it sound like putting up some crowd control fencing or hoarding. Is this really how you think large scale public infrastructure should be implemented.

There would be nothing cheap or temporary about it and would be a complete waste of public money.

If you think so, I’m more realistic after seeing years and years of delays. Even if metro is built a Luas line to airport/sword would be used daily by commuters into Dublin instead of the sword express bus link

Even quicker, improve the bus service using the same space a LUAS would require but without requiring rail or wiring, just add sheltered stops, contactless payment, and the necessary infrastructure to make use of the 129 electric buses mothballed by TFI since last year.

In the meantime get on with building a coherent and connected metro system like other cities have had for decades. Forgot about the piecemeal line here, line there, connect later nonsense.

• Advertisement

One of the reasons for delays is because the 'I've got a better plan' narrative is given too much credence, it muddy's the water and delay projects, often leading to it being canned due to so many objections with people falsely believing there are other cheaper options.

This is usually the consequence of poor planning and bad design.

Post edited by electricus on

Conventional and 'green' electricity and the grid clearly explained.

To me it seems that the best thing f Ireland would be to improve current grid infrastructure issues and not bank on an energy transition as it stands. We can go ahead w insolation projects without the whole system of heat pumps etc. Let people put in solar panels and purchase electric cars if they wish.There are developments in both green (batteries) and nuclear technology that have not completely fleshed out to be called reliable. I for one would not at the present time put my trust in SMRs completely. Let others make the mistake. We are a small country and can learn from others' mistakes. We cannot afford to be wrong and we have to keep all options open including connections with the UK. Economy of scale is also an important factor so i wouldnt bank on big nuclear facilities as it stands.

Just..be...patient. This of course in complete contrast to the climate action army which includes the head of the UN and now alas our own president. He should know better. Well, the clever ones can be mislead even faster as is clearly the case..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,055 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Look, it no longer matters whether the science is right or wrong. It only matters whether a) anything effective can be done to offset the damage at this point and b) whether the cost of this action, socially and economically, is worse than the problem.

My personal opinion is that a) no probably not and b) yes it would be.

And so, the World needs to focus on two things. a) dealing with the effects b) thinking about the long term elimination of commoditised fossil fuel and replacing it globally with local renewable energy and getting rid of disposable crap.

Other than that, the genie is not going back in the bottle. Humanity will not de-innovate. People will not give up cars and planes and so cars and planes need to be fuelled sustainably and that transition is already underway.

If you want to be a real green promoter, a real agent of change; deal with the possible and practical, not the pie in the sky stuff and the imposition of the social and economic penalties on those least able to bear them. Because if you don't bring ordinary people along with you, all over the World, they will come for you and burn you out.

In London, for example, ULEZ is going to be this decade's poll tax. It is going to end in social disorder. It doesn't matter if a majority agree to it, a large enough majority can and will cause chaos over it. Because they poorest paid have the oldest cars and the least ability to pay this penalty.

And that demonstrates the burden of measures all over the World and why the platitudes of the likes of António Guterres will fall on deaf ears.

On the contrary, we should be transitioning the likes of Moneypoint to a CCGT site instead of this green hub shïtê Eamonn and Co are talking about. I'm saying for a more secure reliable grid we need more gas turbines on the grid. There's an open cycle peaking plant coming online some but that is only scheduled to run for a max of 500hrs per year to help with peak demand. We need more, not less, thermal plants on the system. But, Eamo see's gas as another great evil that must be quashed at all costs so until we start to see sensible government policy we are going to keep going backwards.

It's taken over 100 years to build the current grid around centralised generation nodes on the network. To try change that to a distributed grid in the space of a decade is plain stupid and unachievable. There's a serious lack of joined up thinking from government and Eirgrid on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,110 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Again you are refusing to answer what I asked and where did I say it made no sense to invest in public transport ?

It is not the state`s responsibilty to spend taxpayers money to grant everyone their wish list. The state`s responsibility is to spend it where it will, to use that Americans expression "Get the best bang for your buck"

I have no problem with the report compilers. If anything I compliment them on their honesty. But it is difficult to believe they were not handed a wish list on rail and told to come up with a plan for it`s entirety. And that as what they did, but were honest enough to include the cost and point out that even after spending €35 Bn. it would make no discernible difference on moving freight or passenger numbers away from road usage.

Had the compilers of this report been left to their own devices they would most likely have identified areas where rail would have given that "bang for the buck". Navan being one as has been mentioned here, but when you see the likes of a Letterkenny to Derry rail link costing €3.5 Bn as well that makes absolutely no logical sense using any metric, (and one you keep avoiding to make any justification for), then it makes the whole report nothing other than an uneconomical unviable wish list.

You say this plan is one that has the backing of all parties not just the Green Party, but from Varadkar`s comment when first seeing it and Ryan`s reaction after presenting it to cabinet, then it`s difficult to see it.

This report, similar to the report on energy security, was commissioned by Ryan`s department where both sets of compilers were hamstrung by The Irish Green Party wish list from day one. For the energy security report, no consideration was allowed for a LNG land based terminal, but in fairness to Cambridge Economic Policy Associates they pointed out that for energy security we should be able to avail of LNG, and to get around the remit they were given went with floating LNG terminals.

So no, the wish list fingerprints all over this rail report and the energy security report are no other government party`s other that those of Ryan and the Irish Green Party.

The grid needs to be upgraded and improved, it makes sense to future proof at the same time. Same goes for transport infrastructure, plan for the future.

Converting Moneypoint like you say makes sense but that doesn’t mean that plans to connect offshore wind to the grid at Moneypoint should be abandoned. It’s an important source of power which reduces our reliance on imports and one we should take advantage of - no matter what you believe about climate change or the Green Party.

I don’t see it as choice between one way or the other and arguments for solutions based purely on green and traditional ideals accomplish nothing - as this thread proves.

1: any electricity system needs to be reliable, stable and affordable. 2: it needs both a base load and peak load capacity. Wind and solar might be in a mix (coupled w battery tech) but point 2 remains paramount. So, it is an added energy source not a replacement. Gas is better than oil which is better than coal or peat. But, LNG needs to be imported and is costly (especially in a market where everybody wants/needs it). Nitrogen and especially Green Nitrogen gas is even more lossy and expensive so not worthwhile at all. Nuclear is the obvious extra card in the deck but is long term and needs state sponsorship. Probably not ideal for little Ireland.

Then we come to point 3 which is coupled w point 1: a reliable LONG TERM strategy. That would be one in which multiple sources and variability can cater for local and national needs. The key word is flexibility. Another one is connectivity. Both factors need to be met.

The longer you think about it the more you come to the conclusion that solar and wind are simply not a solution to ANYTHING. It can be added AFTER everything else has been settled, certainly not BEFORE. The Greens dont get or want that.

Post edited by deholleboom on

Green Party and Eamonn Ryan, it's odd the obsession across a number of thread people have with the Green Party.

FYI the LNG base was blocked by multiple parties

I do find it hilarious the obsession with Green Party on these threads.

• Advertisement

You might find it hilarious but the Green party sits on top of the Green Agenda pyramid and has been able to infect other parties with their ideology which then led to green policies which now meet the real world with a bang. Not only that, the Green party has many affiliates in the world who are determined to enforce zero Co2 emissions by 2050 plus the 2030 agenda rolled out en masse. This is increasingly seen by people as the road to destruction. To use Biden's words in my own way:' the climate change POLICIES are a clear and present danger'. The pushback is well on its way although you wouldnt think so by following the msm.

The Green Party will end up on the scrapheap of history. The other parties are removing their involvement bit by bit. Maybe they can salvage something by making mr Higgins top dog and hope for a feelgood factor.

Advertisement