Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of building PC after gaming laptop woes

Options
  • 29-07-2023 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

In 2017 I forked out for a MSI GS65 Stealth Thin Gaming laptop. Had the CPU & GPU fans replaced in 2019 under warranty.

Those fans flaked out a couple months ago (late March) and I replaced them myself as the laptop warranty is gone.

Since then I've been playing Gloomhaven, Diablo II Resurrected, Solasta and now Diablo 4 and Baldurs Gate 3. Guess what the fans are going again!

I don't really want to replace them AGAIN. But may have to just to get more life out of this laptop.

Anyway the writings on the wall and i'm thinking of building a gaming pc. I have built computers in the past, like 10+ years ago.

I'd have a budget of around 1500, maybe 2k at a push.

I'd want the build to have a quiet case and quiet case fans, though I don't think i'd go liquid cooler (just never trusted it).

Don't need a monitor or keyboard & mouse, already have those.

Can anyone make any suggestions as to what my build include?

I suppose I prefer Intel cpu but that's just because I don't really know about AMD equivalents.

One of the reasons i'm stressing a quiet case & fans is that i've been having to bear listening to a very loud cpu fan on this laptop for way too long. And i'm in the habit of going into Nvdia Control Panel and setting the Max FFS way down to 20 fps for all my games just to try and keep a lid on the fan noise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/9BvKHG

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor (€229.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock 2 Black CPU Cooler (€41.80 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Motherboard: MSI PRO B650M-A WIFI Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard (€172.94 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory (€117.63 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Storage: Western Digital Blue SN570 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (€79.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Video Card: Asus DUAL OC GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card (€666.99 @ Caseking)

Case: Jonsbo D41 Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case (€72.89 @ Caseking)

Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€111.22 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Case Fan: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 87 CFM 120 mm Fan (€9.60 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Total: €1520.27

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-07-29 15:45 CEST+0200

Modern, focused on quiet components. Fan config: 2x 120mm in bottom intake, 1x 120mm in rear exhaust.

Would pair well with any 1440p 144Hz+ monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

Ill have to get a copy of Win 11, but how will i install it?

Boot to USB?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Yeah just make an install from Microsoft site.

Then buy a cheap key online. Works 97% of the time.

Post edited by K.O.Kiki on

Advertisement