Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭hogans heroes

For me the defence is excellent. Mikey lawlor tommy,

Blamch reid paddy

Then our problems occur,

2 midfielders needed and 2 or 3 forwards, as for writing off the older players I would have started some ahead of younger ones who continually havent turned their potential into the players they might be .word for paddyy deegan after last year he had a grwat game last sunday IMO and was our top scorer from play I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Butterbeans

Agreed, Paddy Deegan was much improved this year, better distribution of ball and calmer on the ball and he always gives 110%.

Would Paddy Mullen be an option for midfield? He played a few league games but didn't see much of him after that, thought he was decent, just needed more game time.

Carey back next year will be a great addition. Drennan, Clifford and Dunne and others will need plenty of games in the league as we will need more options come Championship next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I’m glad you said alleged county, that mask has slipped a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Rebelside

a statement of fact that we’ve won one AI this year & are in another. That’s all. What’s the problem, jealousy?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Rebelside

Rather than concentrating on a possible twentieth for us you could focus on your 4 in a row last Sunday- something we’ve never done. Yet anyway

• Advertisement

…….

This will be ye getting lashed by all the rival fans ye have psychologically damaged in a few years shocs….😁

We lost the final but they’re still not happy 😁

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Kilkenny isn't "medium in pop size" (the average county population is over 200k, Kilkenny's population is 104k and they are in the bottom dozen of the 32 counties in terms of population). And if your logic above is sound then why haven’t Cavan (tradition, football only, geography etc) not won an All-Ireland in over 70 years, why haven’t they replicated Kilkenny's hurling success?

Kilkenny are a total outlier, so let's park them and look at the stark fact that after tomorrow, not a single county with a population under 100,000 has even reached one of the last 50 All Ireland finals. Other than Kilkenny, Clare are the only county with a population under 150,000 to have won an All-Ireland of those 50 played.

12-13 years ago a group got together in Dublin and decided a county of over 1 million should be able to win All Irelands at a vastly higher rate than previously, and they set about making that monstrous advantage count, add in massive financial clout and we see the results, the dam finally burst and Dublin became a winning machine.

It has always been an uneven playing field but it's now a chasm and is going to get worse, counties that can’t hope to compete with the big counties, will just get utterly demoralised and fall off a cliff in terms of competitiveness and we will be left with a tiny elite group of contenders in both codes in perpetuity.

The genie is out of the bottle, the disparity in population is already a major issue with regards to retaining competitiveness, throw in massive financial muscle on top of that and the inter county model breaks asunder. If we stay with the county model, the GAA has to be innovative and develop some form of equalisation formula to incentivise smaller counties that they can compete.

btw

Kilkenny's golden age under Cody ended a full 7 years ago, with defeat in the 2016 AI by Tipp. They have done remarkably well to stay very competitive since and would have won at least one more AI if it wasn't for this great Lim team. No one in Kilkenny believes we have a golden crop of senior hurlers and should be winning All Irelands billyo.

Finally, your last comment is snide, but at least it reveals to readers, your true colours.

10 Champ defeats in 5 years, by KK standards, not great in fairness. Still, what about Tipp? Aside form their epic win over the Mc Donagh Cup runners up this year, one win in their last 11 Championship matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭Rosita

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

This is what you get when you out statistics in hands of people who can't deal with them. Included in the 32 counties are counties with Unionist majorities, significant Unionist, minorities, counties with huge immigrant and student populations, and dual counties with accepted hurling and football areas. All that considered Kilkenny probably have access to more hurlers than any county. Limerick's population includes the city but that's a soccer town with huge swathes of disadvantage. The West of the county produces few hurlers. You should go to Abbeyfeale, Rathkeale, Monagea, Tournafulla, etc. and ask about hurlers. It a a great achievement to get Nicky Quaid and Séamus Flanagan from that hinterland. The real population the county can pull from is probably less than Kilkenny.

Good man M, some things never change over 20 odd years. Any perceived slight of the Premier, and the mask slips.

Your're no more Limerick than Babs Keating, so spare us all your parlour games.

Hope your prediction on Kilkenny is more accurate than the one you made over 20 years ago when proclaiming that the new championship format for 2002 would see the rate at which Kilkenny won AI's drop off a cliff (they won 10 of the next 14 All Irelands). As if this wasn’t enough, it was soon topped by you laughing at a young lad in a 2001 challenge match as typical of the type of poor hurler Kilkenny were then producing (JJ Delaney).

Some of us have long memories.

Bye for now M.

You're being a bit weird now. But glad to acknowledge the population thing is not defensible. 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

There's a couple of "probably"s bearing a lot of load in that post, surely there's no place for them in a post lamenting what happens when "you out statistics in hands of people who can't deal with them"?

I just use 'probably' because I don't have a census figures broken down by townsland beside me. There's room for reasoned speculation surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Brian Ryan is our only GAA development officer in the county while some counties have dozens to develop hurling in weaker parts ,Wexford must have at least six officers . Now there is a few people on here worried about our football status if this is the case why aren’t the GAA throwing funding at us to develop football here just like they do with weaker hurling counties. I await a response from these people, I am still waiting for a response from my last two posts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Brian Ryan is not the only development officer. PJ Ryan, Sean Kelly, Cora Delaney off the of my head are all directly employed by Kilkenny GAA as far as I know. Unless they're all part time but I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

I believe the squads teams have done well over the last two weekends. Also, some real special talent at the Lisdowney 7s with an excellent O'Loughlins team winning the cup final. Freshford won the shield final.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,827 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mod Note

There are only 3 GAA Mods, myself and 2 others. Unfortunately, for various reasons, recently only myself are really active but this will hopefully change going forward.

Any poster who feels they might be interested in stepping up, please PM.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,827 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mod Note

Several warnings have been issued to posters for posts over the last couple of days. Thank you to those who Reported them - I was away on Hols and as outlined above, we are a bit light on Mods currently.

Rosita is now Permanemtly Thread Banned from this thread.

Simply Report Any further post by them in this thread and it will receive a Warning and then be deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Comerman

It really wasn't meant as a dig at the mods ShamoBuc, just hoped some posters would cop on. Alas 🙄🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

Ah Cavan has 25k less of a population than kk for starters. Geography and tradition both fail Cavan. Cavan have not appeared in a final let alone one it in living memory.. therefore it's history. Kk have won an all Ireland in every decade since the 1900s(sometimes multiples) and lost another 25. That's tradition. Geography of Cavan means poorer land, less accessibility and investment in infrastructure. Kk has good land, a port, industry and motorway access direct to 2 large cities. Added to that it's pop centre (about 25k probably more now) is highly accessible and centrally placed. Also the population of Kerry has only just broken 150,000 2hile it's was closer to 100k in the 70's. Offaly's pop was 60 to 70k in the 1990s so unfortunately your idea that kk are outliers is busted. I would suggest that kk certainly punch above their weight when medals to population is considered but again geog/tradition help to "mind the gap"

Dublin have done very well to reverse the fortunes of gaa especially football and money has no doubt helped but money alone without those with the foresight to use it is pointless. Dublin (with a pop of over 1mill) and stacks of euros still can't get hurling anywhere near the standard in truth.

I whole heartedly agree with your view on the golden ones. However many in your county do not see that. A quick flick through the pages here proves that.

I don't see how my final comment is snide. Many will tell you that the financials of the county are good and some even believe the potential is there to increase that yield. If anything was snide it was my reference to the garlic cheese chip cup.. which ironically is the very thing keeping those demoralised counties going I might add!

Post edited by The Birchfield Boy on

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

God you are having a mare with the truth this week. As mentioned above by JJ, Brian Ryan is not our only games development officer. The fact you don't even know this questions are you even involved in a club at all, certainly not at underage level anyway.

Every county has a coaching and games committee whose job it is to promote all gaelic games in that county. Central Council, Leinster Council and that counties own county board determine the budget for that counties games promotion programme. Why do other counties have more games development officers and in my opinion, better organised games promotion for young players. It is because they are more proactive than Kilkenny. The reality is the gaa will not throw money at a county to employ more coaching officers. You must be proactive and go to them with a plan. I doubt Kilkenny ever asked for more funding. Cork have being begging for more and I think recently announced 8 more positions.

What will cork do with those positions and their budget. Will they concentrate on just hurling and abandon football. Will they split their activities between the two. That is up to them but if they concentrate on just hurling like we do they are less likely to get funding going forward.

Wexford are a very proactive county and that is why they currently have 14 games promotion officers I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 AhBoyDelaney

Janey Marooned

would you not not just give credit to Limerick. They are possibly on the edge of throwing the ball but it’s not their fault it’s not been blown. It’s up to the ref. And that bullshit comment about rugby is not what a KK man should be saying. We in KK have always taken our beating. Kudos to Limerick a super team and the best team won on the day.

• Advertisement

Why not ignore him as the vast majority of posters do accept that the best team, by far, won. The throw ball, steps, frontal charges etc are being brought up across most media sites - many Kilkenny folk are almost afraid to mention such issues for fear of being accused of sour grapes and worse. And if they do bring it up I think most, if not all, are pointing the finger at the GAA/match officials and not Limerick.

Limerick have changed the hurling landscape in many ways - there is no point in the GAA reviewing it at this late stage, the horse has bolted. It's up to the other counties to adopt the changes and to ignore any likely response from the GAA..

If Kilkenny posters wish to highlight issues from the Final on this site they're quite entitled to do so.

Advertisement