Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Not a Mayo man but is James Carr injured? Find it hard to believe 6 of Mayo’s forwards are all better than him, get you a goal too. Anytime I’ve watched him I’ve been impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

The handling was bad in the second half as they were out of gas and tired. The games added up. Agree totally that we have a problem in mid field and centre back. Guys like ruane coen eml O'Hara have a place but maybe it's time they become panel players rather than definite starters as some people make you believe. If we can't find players that offer more we better get used to results like yesterday.... Mcstay has a job on his hands.

Consistency is the issue. He is a nice footballer and has lots of admirable qualities. He just needs to be more consistent. This has been his best year but it is disappointing that he tailored off when the quality of the opposition improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gigantic09

I don't think we can really compare the 2017 team to the current one.In 2017 we had players who had a lot of credit in the bank and we kinda new we could count on them to perform on the big days even if we were struggling to put away inferior opposition. ultimately they fell short but more often than not they gave 💯.

The current team has no such credit in the bank Most of us hadn't a clue what to expect from them yesterday.A few lads are in their 1st season so they can be given a pass but we have too many players who are good one day and average or poor the next.

The last 3 championships have seen us rarely put in convincing displays.Even the great victory against the dubs in 2021 we weren't by any means convincing till the last 10 mins of normal time and extra time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

A terrible season for Connacht. I think the players of Mayo, Galway and Roscommon are spending too much time acting like the hardy bucks of Castletown instead of being out on the training fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Be-Jaysus

That year we played Donegal in a knockout 7 days before that hammering.

A 2 week break would have probably have prevented both hammerings imo, but the result would have remained the same ( 5/6 point loss with the victors pulling up )

Mayo need to unearth a few more players this winter & the management staff should now know at this stage what they need to do to try and bridge the gap.

Anyone else hearing of the impending retirement of cillian O’Connor? Wouldn’t blame him with all the recent injuries.

His physicality will be a big loss got mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

It will in theory, but he has played what, one full season of the last four? Theyve already figured out how to play without him I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

no, but it would be a pity for him to retire with ROD coming into his own. would be great to have 2 scoring options! albeit his tendency towards injuries would warrant he consider his future.

overall, MAyo have secured their position as the 2nd best team in Connaught, behind Roscommon. leaving Galway well down the pecking order, somewhere between London and New York. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Soft chat I'd say, I'd imagine none of them lads know themselves yet, not the kinda decision you make the day after a loss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

I didn't hear anything but father time will march on with a few of the boys.

As a Dublin fan, I was watching Dean Rock kick his score when he came on and the half arsed block that COC put on it, basically not a block but just more jumping in frustration and i thought to myself, with a minute to go, is that his last effort in a Mayo jersey but sums up a 'just not enough' block on one of his biggest adversaries down the home straight. As a Dub i never liked his antics but can't argue with the score tally, it's black and white, but never was the ultimate prize.

It's nearly a harder and longer winter to endure now with the shorter season. I think Lee Keegan / Boyle did right to leave when they did and probably have been afforded a great opportunity that AOS or COC would have likely slipped into with the punditry.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭TagoMago

It's sad to say but after Sunday you'd have to think that we definitively say that it's clear that the '13 Minor/'16 u21 have not and will not provide us with the platform for success that many of us thought they would. The likes of Ruane, Coen, Carr and Loftus (not to mention Boland, Plunkett and a few others before them) are good players but all (except maybe Carr) have regressed since '21, when they were all around 25/26 and should really have been hitting their prime.

Even Diarmuid O'Connor, undoubtedly the best of them and the only one I'd hope will be a mainstay for the next 5 years, has probably not hit the potential expected of him. For sure he'll be remembered as a great servant to the county, but not an all time great for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

Neutral watching the game on Sunday and I thought there was a lot of similarities between this game and Roscommon game. In both games Mayo looked the slicker attacking outfit untill the concession of soft goals. With scoreboard pressure acrrued the opposition packed defence and played on the counter. Essentially Mayo couldn't chase a lead on both days. If the solution is not conceding goals or a plan B in attack or both is the question for the Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Watching us implode on Sunday was a bit like how McStays Roscommon team imploded against us in 2017. That came just one week after they should have beaten us in the drawn game. Our up and down form this year especially in championship is very reminiscent of that team as well. It's very worrying that we can show such wildly varying form. It smacks of too much focus on small details and letting the big picture look after itself. Let's hope that we can find the improvements next year or else it will be along few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Did he really drop off when the quality improved? He had a good game vs Kerry in Killarney iirc, some great points off both feet, himself and RO'D our highest scorers from play.

Didn't score against Louth, but I wouldn't be quick to blame the FF line on that day. Taken off against Cork at HT.

It all points to the management team not having enough conviction imo.

They threw out Loftus and Carr after they had been playing them all year. Whether either are good enough (I think Carr is, Loftus not at CB), it shows a real weakness in management to either leave it so late or not stick by the players.

When the pressure came on, they threw a half back in at half forward. All the talk of backing the forwards, letting them express themselves from earlier in the year was out the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I presume that Eoghan Mc was in the half-forwards cause they had intended for him to be tracking Jack McCaffrey. But Jack didn't actually start.

Or maybe there was a different plan.

I still cannot understand why Mayo did not set-up ultra-defensively for the first 15 mins of the second half, to try to shut Dublin out and give ourselves a fighting chance going into the last quarter. Is it just me, or are we just always naïve in the crunch moments - especially on the sideline. We have seen over the last decade, that Dublin will come out after half time, and put all of their energies into blitzing teams away, so that they avoid getting into a dogfight. Why not try to soak up that pressure by retreating the lads, and hope to get a point or 2 in counter attacks. At least try to limit Dublin picking of score after score until they get out of reach in less than 15 mins of the second half. We know that most of the Dublin team will not try a pot-shot for a point outside of 30 years.

Even if we were only 3 or 4 points down with 10 mins to go, at least it provides some hope, and would keep Dublin a little uneasy. We probably won't see Monaghan that naïve on Saturday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

From the Mayo news.

There’s a lot of talk about timing your run and not peaking too soon in discussions around form at various stages of the year. But it’s too simplistic a way to look at Mayo.

Consider a league that started with two draws; followed by explosive wins over Tyrone and Kerry; a game they nearly blew against Roscommon; a handy win over a Donegal team in disarray followed by a final round defeat to Monaghan.

That was the precursor for a league final win over Galway, but not an impressive display.

The following week Mayo were made to look like minors by Roscommon in Castlebar.

The response to that was to go down to Killarney with a showcase win over Kerry before falling over the line against Louth. Lose to Cork, beat Galway, lose to Dublin.

The problem is not peaking too soon, it’s too many peaks and troughs.

He wasn't to the fore for Galway and Dublin. These were the crunch games and this was when the quality started. The other games were not do or die games for SAM. This has been his best year so who knows for next year.

Either way, management lost confidence in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Good luck to Mayo v Galway in Salthill today, hopefully it's less windy than the last game or it could ruin it. Galway slight favourites with the bookies but would be nice to follow up our Connacht final win against them

• Advertisement

Sweet way to win it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

This is an odd one from me.

The ladies are playing in Thurles on the 29th v Kerry, it's either at 5pm or 7pm, more likely 5pm because Dublin v Cork will likely be the late game.

Anyway, does anyone know of public transport options to get back to Mayo that evening ?

It's easy get their by train earlier in the day, just change in Portarlington, but getting back will be a pain.

Is there a supporters group that run busses ?

Note this is for Kerry fans who want to take a day out of their holiday in Mayo to go to Thurles to see Mayo v Kerry, and return to their holiday.

Kerry people don't do semi finals

Mayo very lucky to be there, daylight robbery in Salthill, another match Galway left behind them this year

League down to the semi finals next weekend, first of at least two and maybe three meetings between Castlebar and Knockmore. we're down 7 or 8 starters so any result would be a surprise. Westport likely to make the final too. Funny that Knockmore and Westport have never really played in league or championship in a long time

Five in for the U-20 job apparently

Peadar Gardiner

Pat fallon

Damian Egan

Tom Mulderrig

Sean Deane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

I am seeking a ticket for hurling final tomorrow if anyone comes across one and looking for a home. Long shot I know!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Fairly scarce in Limerick I'm afraid....I scraped one through the club and then randomly got 3 for the missus and kids via a completely random source in Tipp.

Oh ya. I know its a long shot. But shure if dont try, I'll get nowhere. I'll keep chipping away at some websites today and tomorrow morning.

Knockmore pipped by Castlebar again, second year running in the league they should have closed out the game and didn't. Still no look at what Westport are like for our lads.

Talking to an ex westport player he seemed to think it was a fairly experimental side they put out against Garrymore

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

James Fallon Mayo Gaels not Pat from the big club next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

So is there any word about McHale leaving the setup? Not living in the county so have limited contacts.

• Advertisement

Was listening to the Ah Ref pod during the week and heard that one of the young Hurley lads from Claremorris is playing at wing back for them - it's no wonder we struggle for inside forwards ffs!!

On a separate note, I'd love to see King from Knockmore having an injury free season, he'd be worth a look at 6 for Mayo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

As a friend of mine once said, if David Clifford was born in Mayo he would be a half back!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭crusd

We did try our best to turn Andy Moran into a wing back.

Living outside Mayo I am always asked how come we produce so many good half backs. I always answer, its because we always play our more talented footballers in the half backs. When I was underage more that a few years back, if you were tall and good on the ball you played midfield, if you were shorter and good on the ball you played in the half backs. The best of the rest on the ball made up the forwards, and the toughest the FB line. I dont think much has changed in Mayo. Involved in coaching underage in a Galway club now with the young lads (u9, u7) and what I see from the older age groups is the more skillful players will always be played where they can do most damage on the scoreboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Did Andy Moran not start out as a defender and was converted into a forward I think similar was done with Monaghan's Conor McManus.

Good luck to the Mayo ladies today, tough game against Kerry who looked v good against Meath

Exactly. Our first port of call was to try to turn our most instinctive forward of the generation into a wing back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Thought it was the other way round. Was a defender and turned into a forward and from 2011 to his retirement he was Mayo best scoring forward from play.

Played in the forwards when he was a minor, and on the u 21s. How much did trying to convert him delay his progress is the question

Basic skills on the forwards killing the ladies too. Would be right in this if they had half the shooting ability of the Kerry forwards

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Be-Jaysus

Congrats Dublin, worthy winners.

9 All Ireland's for some of the old guard now, and they'll hang around until 10 is achieved.

As for Mayo , our management team has a big job on their hands if they want to challenge the Big 2 moving forward.

Need to see more next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭spakman

Why would we be congratulating Dublin!? A tougher edge needed for Mayo imo, **** every other team

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭MattressRick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭spakman

Not bitterness, just selfishness. What's the feeling in Galway!?

The feeling from me is fair play to Dublin. Some of those players like McCarthy really deserved a ninth all Ireland. Galway were too predictable in their forward play this year, they're a step below that Dublin team. It's good to have this reality check before the winter training starts, hopefully our management will take stock and get a proper forwards coach. So yeah, I want us to be as good as Dublin, we can only hope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭HBC08

The All Ireland final was on today,Kerry playing Dublin,you're from Galway and you're sniffing around the Mayo page?

Have I got that right?

Clicking on a forum 3rd from the top? Yeah why not see what's being said in other counties.

You're very sensitive tonight! Get a grip.

We don't have enough high quality players to win it and it's drifting further away...

Anyone going to the league final? Probably the handiest spot for it but the crowd will rattling around in mchale park for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Trying to buy the season pass on Mayogaatv for my Dad and it doesnt seem to be available yet? Logged into his account and could see it advertised but i couldnt get any further than that. This the message i get

CHOOSE YOUR PRICE

There are no price options for this asset.

Website is an absolute mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I believe the season pass will be made available after this weekend

Advertisement