Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Has anyone tried removing the cheap no extra cost hub caps that come with the Y ?

don’t want to damage but need to temporarily remove

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Yeah, they're pretty easy to remove just give them a firm tug. I replaced mine with a set of black ones

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭ModelWhy

Buying a Tesla? -> Get €500 off your order by using my Referral Link - Please DM me for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

Anyone know how much supercharging 7500 points gets you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

If you redeem 5000 points then you get 5000kms.

If you redeem 1500 points then you get 500kms.

No in between...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭ModelWhy

To add to this, be aware that you have 12 months to use any super charging Kms you get. 5000km is a lot in terms of being in a situation where you aren't charging at home and need to or can get to a SuC unit.

Buying a Tesla? -> Get €500 off your order by using my Referral Link - Please DM me for the link.

Once you redeem miles then you only get 6 months to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

• Registered Users Posts: 37 cdn16

As new Tesla owners, do we get any SuC Credits?

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭JOL1

If battery charge level os below 50% on collection you get 160km free ...thats it..

• Advertisement

If you click 'Redeem' on the app it then states that Supercharging kilometers will expire 6 months after being added to your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭DrPsychia

For those of you with 2023 Model 3's and Model Y's, how are you finding your motoring experience so far without Ultrasonic parking sensors? For me at present, the lack of functional parking sensors in a 40k+ new car is unacceptable. I won't consider buying a new one until they reintroduce USS(if ever).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

It is all a personal choice. I drive a 2021 Model 3 with USS and a 2023 Model Y without. I see no difference as in the cameras are so good I basically need no beeping to tell me what I see on the screen/mirrors. I do agree though the Tesla Vision is no better than USS. I find though USS redundant to my own vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Haven't found it much of an issue TBH. Drive an old van daily with only mirrors to rely on so the cameras and vison on the 3 is a major step up. Have a ID3 with sensors but again would rely on sight and cameras as much as the sensors.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'm not finding it an issue at all. The mirrors and camera are more than enough to make parking straightforward, the vision based sensor helps out a bit for the front of the car. I mainly reverse park.

Of the 4 cars I've daily driven, only the Mini had front parking sensors so I'm somewhat used to parking manually.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You have to remember the USS stop working at 30cm exactly like Tesla vision.

The sounds to close objects are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Tesla Vision is comically bad - absolutely no way you could rely on it to accurately gauge distance to an object close in front. And that's before you get to the many annoying bongs and bleeps - my favourite is the continual "bing BONG" when a stopped car in front of you moves away in traffic and TV tells you to go and then almost simultaneously to stop coz it's not intelligent enough to know what's happening. That it's so crap just underlines how much camera only Full Self Driving is a pipe dream.

Having said that, the rear camera is great so no real worries reversing anywhere - just watch the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭JOL1

I have owned Tesla's with USS and now without. Personally I would prefer if it had USS but its a minor issue for me and I don't understand how/why others make a drama out of it. At the end of the day USS and Camera are aids and you are in control. Cameras are great and I am sure in the next edition a camera on the front bumper will likely feature. It appears as though your mind is made up...which is fair enough ...we are all free to make our choices

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Blup Blup Blup

As the others have said, the rear isn't an issue as the camera is so good. The front is a real blind spot from the drivers seat. While I don't have a huge amount of confidence in what Tesla Vision is displaying in terms of front measurements, I think it's performing better than expected. It'll alert you that something's there but I wouldn't be running things tight. The car's other benefits outweigh that negative.

Tesla Vision bugs out sometimes in the rain, but I find it's usually accumulated rain drops on the rear camera that's the culprit. Don't know if anyone else has tried putting a hydrophobic coating on the rear lens?

The Y is a wide car so that takes a bit of getting used to. One thing to watch for is the rear integrated spoiler protrudes beyond the bumper which is a bit of an odd design choice and a hefty repair bill if you inadvertently back into a poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

What's people's views on the stereo?

I have a LR Y. I'm underwhelmed by the quality of the stereo.

It's better than the stock stereo in the 530e that it replaced. However it's not a patch on the stereo in our other car 2021 KIA soul (HK 10 speaker with subwoofer)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Blup Blup Blup

I'm really pleased with it - surprised you're underwhelmed. Apparently they hired a bunch of B&O engineers to develop it. You can tweak the equalizer settings if you want - there's a customisation button on the left hand side volume button. Took me a while to find as it's not in with the other car setting options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭talla

I'm convinced its down to the source being used.

I find radio and bluetooth sound quality to be generally good. Can't comment on palying off USB as I dont use it. The big let down for me is anything streamed from the infotainment using the cars data connection app e.g. spotify / tune in - can't comment on Apply Music.

The steaming quality seems to seriously gimped comapred to using spotify drectly over phone even on bluetooth.

To experiment, go into the equalizer settings and try and move around where the sound plays from when using different sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭DrPsychia

I suspect Tesla stream at low bitrates to save money on bandwidth costs.

I think with tidal you can choose to download music at high bitrate so it should make a difference to the sound quality. Try playing with immersive sound and the EQ settings to see if it makes a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭lau1247

If you are streaming from Bluetooth, check your Bluetooth setting on the Android phone (Not sure about iphone). There may be an option in Developer Mode to turn on HD Audio as well as selecting a better codec. My phone is a bit old and only have the basic SBC codec. At the end of the day it is really the source and quality of the original file.

I'd imagine if you stream from the phone via bluetooth, you'd lose some quality when it get to your phone and by the time it transmit via bluetooth lose a bit more again, if the quality setting is done properly. Using USB seems to be the most ideal but inconvenient I suppose.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 37 cdn16

Extending @irishgrover ’s question, did anyone find any difference between Spotify and Tidal services? I’ve used Tidal for a brief period of time on my iPhone and I was really surprised how crisp the audio was, compared to Spotify. Is that the case with Tesla audio system as well?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Try .flac files on a USB stick, there is no higher quality source option

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Would you need access to the source sound or how would one get flac files to test these things out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Ideally yes and rip from source to FLAC, usually about 3 times the size of 320kbps MP3 files, but as always there are places these files can be found on the interweb if you don’t have the ability to rip music you already own 😉

All my music collection is on 12” vinyl 😭

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 PGTips 25

Hi All,

Just looking for a suggestion on Tyre Inflators. Heading to Spain with the car and don't want to get caught out anywhere. Problem I see is that most just go to 36psi for cars. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Advertisement