Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not covered to test drive private vehicle

• 28-07-2023 10:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭

I am Insured with ivernia through chill.ie

I don’t have open drive.

I called chill and asked what I could do to test drive this private vehicle I’m considering purchasing and they said I can’t drive it with the policy I’m on. Not even for 10 minutes.

Do I pull out of a 25k sale because of this? The seller does not have open drive either.

What do?

Post edited by Henry Ford III on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mulbot

Have you asked about a temporary transfer.?,would being a passenger not give you just about all the information you'd require?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Open drive refers to the people who are covered to drive your car. What you require is driving of other cars, which is not on every policy. As mentioned above, ask for a temporary transfer to the other car for a short period. Remember, if granted, all cover to your existing vehicle is removed for this period

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Unfortunately temp transfer is not possible with Ivernia

looks like I’m goosed on this one. What a joke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,162 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Are your concerns over the general feel of driving the car or that there may be a fault with the car or both? Could you instead test drive a similar car at a car dealer and if all good arrange a mechanic to inspect the car you are thinking about buying private?

I know it's a tad sneaky with the car dealer but you could put future servicing their way on the private purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭MikeCairo78

Hi there. Temporary substitutions are allowable under the wording. So if you are being refused it is because the car you are looking to go across onto is radically different from what you have / your own driving experience / you only have third party fire and theft cover and they will not temporarily increase it to comprehensive(which is the cover you would be required to have for the test drive, I assume)

Whomever you are purchasing the vehicle from maybe able to accomodate - if a garage / motor trader they would have some level of demonstration cover.Arrange to temporary add you to their policy something like that.

In any event, it is not correct to say Ivernia don't do temporary transfers

• Advertisement

Thanks AD.

I’ve already driven same car before so I know how it feels but it would be nice to get a feel for this particular one but not to worry. It’s a little bit insane you can’t temp transfer your insurance with this crowd. I’ll make sure not to go with them again and chill in general.

The vehicle is much the same as my current vehicle.

2 customer reps told me ivernia do not offer temporary transfer and it wasn’t possible and that’s before even giving my details/reg once I mentioned ivernia they said nope on the 2nd attempt. (Customer service rep)

Note: This was the temporary transfer dept I spoke to via chill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭screamer

I’d check if they will fleece you if you change to this other car full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭MikeCairo78

Their wording says otherwise. I work in insurance and have never come across an Insurer that blanket bans temporary transfers.

Their wording notes the the following for what is insured.

Insured Car

The Insured Car described in the current schedule and Certificate of Motor Insurance and

any Insured Car you have given us details of; •

we have provided a Certificate of Motor Insurance for; and for which the insurance is still in place; or •

any Insured Car we have agreed to temporarily transfer cover to

So it is in the Ivernia wording. Check your own wording.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Moving this one too.

• Advertisement

I went and viewed the car anyway. Still annoying. I looked up ivernia on google and the reviews would put anyone off. Won’t be going with them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭honda boi

Bonkers that.

Previous policies I had would charge an admin fee for temp transfer .

So when hunting for a car it could be quite costly if viewing a few cars!

Delighted my current policy covers me to drive any other car as long as it has NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

You say what a joke.You have chosen a cheap policy and expect to have the benefit of a more expensive policy.You get what you are prepared to pay for. Yet you are considering purchasing a e25,000 car

I went with chill. I chose the policy that usually provided me the best protection for the best price. So NCB protection and that kind of thing. At the time I think RSA was even cheaper. I sense jealousy in your post not sure why the cost of the new vehicle should come into it if anything it should be about the cost of the old vehicle which is the one insured last year but you chose to point out the what you consider large amount of money that I’m possibly planning on spending. Jog on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,480 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I think it's a case of you get what you pay for. I'm with Axa, they have never charged me for a temporary transfer. Which I got on several occasions, typically when I rented a 'replacement car' from a garage when my own motor was off the road for repairs. That's where you rent a car but you provide the insurance. And when I rang them once to make a permament transfer to a car I had just bought, the Axa guy asked me if had sold the old car yet. When I said I had not, he said that would give me two weeks additional third party cover on the old car for no charge That was very handy as it meant that I could drive the old car to meet a prospective buyer and he could then take it for a test drive, using his 'driving other cars' cover.

Yeah I agree. But never had any issues doing this with other not so well known insurers. It’s such a small ask, anyway no biggie at this point in time.

Advertisement