Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollywood labour disputes

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,461 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Woosh. Interesting times ahead, not that productions could do much without writers but maybe now the actors are involved it'll hasten a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,599 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The strike has already effected Ireland.

Disapointment for those at The Galway  Film Fleadh

• Registered Users Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Jesus, the studios wanted to be able to bring in background extras for a day, scan them, and be able to use their likenesses in perpetuity...

Don't care if the strikes last 10 f*cking years so long as the writers/actors win.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hope the actors and writers take the studios for all they’re worth and get a stellar deal. A long overdue rebalancing of power in studio production is much needed.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Just reading a couple of different reports there and it seems the British equivalent of SAGAFTRA are "standing in solidarity" with their US pals. So when it comes to making shows for streamers it might not be as simple as Netflix (or whoever) just turning to other countries.

The cast of Oppenheimer walked out of the London premiere apparently, as the strike was confirmed. Quite a few of them aren't American. They may still be SAGAFTRA members though. I'm not sure how that works.

And I've seen some criticism for actors who kept filming on House of Dragons or whatever its called, even though its filmed in the UK under Equity rules.

So... all in all quite a messy few days ahead while people figure out exactly what it all means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,902 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Even the ******* dragons will be on strike at this rate.

Ah I hope the guilds triumph here.

Although a break in new content may allow us to catch up on backlog of material.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,525 ✭✭✭brevity

Agreed

They are well within their rights to challenge the threat of AI

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

What about promoting films they've already made? I think they can still do that.

I have no idea. I think promotional obligations are part of studio contracts, so I guess they don't have to fulfil them if they're on strike?

As mentioned The Oppenheimer cast walked out of the premiere in London and Nolan had to do the Q&A or whatever on his own afterwards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

All promotional work is off for SAG-AFTRA members. Simple as that. No red carpets. No festival appearances. No publicly tours. No Q&As or talks or masterclasses.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,461 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I hadn't read that; that's nuts and yeah no shít they're striking. Now if somehow the FX industry can get a strong union together? It's not just about money that all these FX studios are spread globally; harder to coalesce some collective bargaining tactic that way.

Another reminder why corporations are not our friends, and unions will fight far harder for us than any CEO ever will. Both are imperfect, but only one gives a shít about the worker.

I do think the actors striking will force hands far quicker than writers. God knows writers are seen as the lesser species along the hierarchy of talent in Hollywood - but actors walking out is basically the top tier say No Thanks.

Saw people suggesting online that the only reason the studios extended talks with SAG was to try get promotion of some of the films out of the way before they inevitably went on strike.

I agree SAG going on strike will force the studios hands quicker, as it means no promotion of movies. And there are plenty of film festivals and award shows coming up, which is definitely going to sting the studios.

The worry of course is that the studios reach a deal with SAG, and considering the Directors guild also did a deal with the studios, that would leave the writers on their own. I think SAG need to show full solidarity with the WGA, and even if a deal is agreed with one, the strike stands until both guilds reach a fair deal.

^ the idea they extended negotiations to ensure promo was done does make sense when you consider Barbie and Oppenheimer are sort of the last of the big blockbusters to open this summer. The squeezed Mission Impossible in there too. There's nothing major left to be released bar maybe Gran Turismo.

They've also had the entire chat show circuit taken away in the US because of the writers strike, so they were already missing a huge portion of their domestic promotion.

It's the festivals that will be the biggest issue for the studios. The Oscar campaigns start with Venice/Toronto, they've probably already spent millions on campaign strategies. They're not going to want to miss out on them.

Speaking of the promotional stuff, I didn't pay attention at the time, but what happened with The Flash? I usually see videos pop up on youtube suggestions like they have with Mission Impossible and others, yet I don't remember seeing anything for The Flash.

There was a premiere that all the stars were at, but the usual thing of sitting down for 5 minute interviews with everyone didn't happen because of Ezra Miller. They couldn't risk putting Miller in front of cameras for interviews, nor could you just do it with the rest of the cast because they could still get questions about it and Miller is too integral to the film to do it without them.

Even without the Miller stuff, the fact they'd already basically announced they're rebooting that entire universe makes it very hard to promote it as anything people should care about. Do any of these people still have jobs going forward? I think the Miller problem probably saved a lot of awkwardness for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

War never changes, motherfucker - Ron Perlman, probably

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

As so much information is coming out about the progression in the development of AI in the Science and Technology industry at the moment; I really cannot blame the writers and the actors for going ahead with this strike for the sake of preserving their jobs. The studios must not be seen to lose the room among the public over this major issue as we the public are going to continue to talk about it over the next few years. If the studios really do not understand how big this threat of AI is going to be for them and everyone else in the near future. They have truly lost the crucial argument in how they will be making valuable progress on any sort of a major deal with the unions in how they are going to avoid this phenomenon from this point in time.

Progress in Science & Technology can sometimes be seen as a tool for preserving the common good. But too much progress can have the opposite effect if it goes unnoticed if it doesn't have an opportunity to go through some crucial checks to see if everything is working as intended. However the amount of progress in AI just shows how dangerous it can become for the good of the planet. AI is the biggest indicator in how dangerous it can be for the world around us if we don't look at the consequences of it's actions. I would be very relieved if the whole thing was just shut down in an instant.

The way I see it right now with this strike in the Hollywood industry is that a rebellion is going to have to be sought among the unions until this issue is resolved for good. There must no compromises sought under any circumstances until the parties have a realistic solution to this strike to keep everyone on both sides happy & satisfied. And if the studios don't offer that level of commitment to them; there would hell to pay for everyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I dont get her complaint, In the piece she says she might get 3 guest stars in a year that pay 5-8k each, by definition its a side gig, isnt it up to her to leverage those jobs into other things?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 31,682 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

A big part of the issue is the residuals drying up - the system was built on the idea that if you were a part of something that continues to make money, that you keep getting your share of that money. So you get your fee for this years jobs, but also your cut of your previous jobs whenever they air. Streaming has effectively done away with that and broken the model, making it unsustainable. Only 13% of SAG actors earn more than the 26k income required to get health insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,276 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The studios have way, way, too much power these days. It's almost gone backwards to the Hollywood of yesteryear where an actor was considered the property of the studio and producers held sway over everything. This is not a good development as producers and bean counters don't actually create anything. They merely provide facility for the creatives to do their job. At least that's theoretical idea behind such a position. The reality is is that they often stifle creative activity and interfere in processes that are beyond their ability far too often, which has resulted in the mediocre level of the Hollywood product that has been evident for some time now, and that's putting it kindly.

It's very telling that someone like Bob Iger is enthusiastic about the "future of AI" in the Hollywood context. Of course he would be. You don't have to pay and AI a base figure, never mind a royalty cheque, and that type is only ever be interested in the bottom line.

I think it's a good thing that the writers and actors have banded together to make their concerns known and they're entirely correct to make a stand now. This AI malarkey is growing too fast, too quick, and the potential ramifications of its use are wide and varied in a detrimental manner. It's something that needs to have the brakes applied to now, while conditions are investigated into the limitations of its use in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,682 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It sounds like the production department (producers, production assistants, coordinators, production supervisors, bidding producers etc etc) are going to join IATSE, creating a whole new slew of negotiations which may add an extra wrinkle to the strike.

I see the strikes are starting to have an impact on releases.

Kraven The Hunter which was supposed to come out in October has been pushed to August of next year. They wanted a world wide press tour for it.

The Ghostbusters sequel is moved from December to March, and the last Spiderverse film has now got no date as the voice recording wasn't finished before the strikes.

The Ghostbusters one being moved is, I assume, to cover the Spidey shaped hole in the release schedule, rather than them thinking the strikes will still be on in December.

And it's only gonna get worse from here: not seeing any indication there's a hint of thawing between the unions and Hollywood so we could be looking at a long grind. And with that delays will soon become cancellations in some cases.

They move Ghostbusters a few months but Kraven nearly a full year? Strange decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,599 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Brad Pitt & Viola Davis who had waivers to work on movies have both stepped away in solidarity with the strikers.

Pitt's one is a big deal I think as it was Apple's big money Formula One film.

Well Ghostbusters, I think, has just been moved to fill the spot vacated by Spiderman. Maybe they have nothing planned for release next August, or know more films will be delayed, so they want Kraven in an empty spot on the calendar. I think it's going to flop regardless of when they release it.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭GSBellew

AI is not the issue for the actors as such, for them it is more that they can be replaced by CGI, actors will become obsolete and we will watch advanced cartoons that cost a lot less to produce

Just meant why not move Kraven to Spider-man's slot. It's even keeping with the Spidey theme. Then Ghostbusters to the later spot. Personally I think Ghostbusters would do better as a summer movie, if they're not going to release it at Halloween. Will definitely do better than Kraven.

But who am I to think I know better than the decision makers.

• Advertisement

If The Flash is anything to go by, there's no fear of us mistaking digital actors for real.

Advertisement