Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollywood labour disputes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

this is going to kill subscriptions down the road when customers work out no new stuff will be forthcoming

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

A lot of people don't pay that much attention to that kind of thing. I'm constantly seeing people talking about a "new" Netflix show when it's something that was on BBC or C4 five years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

no doubt but there are floating subscribers though, Im sure plentry of people take out a sub to watch Silo or Severance on Apple TV but will sub on and off. Netflix might be immune from this to an extent

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Yeah, fair point. I do it myself with most of the streamers these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Netflix is huge, Amazon bundle their services together (in most markets), and apple give free 3 months with new apple products and it's included as part of a lot of people's phone plans especially in us. Disney probably fine too to keep kids entertained. Anyone smaller might suffer.

That and old content is still available to binge, there's a big difference from having to watch a friend's rerun on live TV that you've seen a hundred times as they've nothing else and going to rewatch the whole lot again on streaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,599 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Netflix can also add content they buy in from other Countries plus there own content they make in other Countries so they have a greater chance of not dropping as many subcribers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The writers strike is hitting 100 days on the 9th, will then pass the last strike with the longest being 153 days in the 80s.

If talks do resume in the late October date that sources indicated from the studios that'll put it over the 153.

Post edited by Varik on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Christopher Nolan is on BBC Four now talking about Oppenheimer including the Hollywood Strikes and the emergence of AI in the filmmaking industry.

Stephen Amell (Arrow) doing a bit of back tracking today after complaining about the strikes yesterday calling them Myopic and a reductive negotiating tactic.

He say he stands with his Union but doesn’t support striking

That won’t go down well with the jobbing actors on his shows.

A Murder at the End of the World, the new TV show from the creators of The OA, has been pushed back from its original release date of August 28th until November. I believe its the first TV show to be affected by the strikes in this way.

Much like when covid closed cinemas and things went direct to streaming, it will be interesting to see what shows studios hold back, and which they just release with zero promo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Amell has a storied history of making bad decisions. I see he has walked back his initial statement saying it was a misunderstanding. I see he is accused of promoting the new season of heels his show which could be classed as scabbing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,461 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Not sure how you can say you support unions then say you're against striking. It's literally the one tool Unions can use in these situations that justifies collective bargaining. Pretty mealy mouthed attempt by Amell to say he's anti-union without saying he's anti-union; as you say it's gonna rub his co-workers up the wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭Penn

His argument basically boils down to two equally stupid points; that the strike authorisation was a Yes or No, black & white decision (which of course it would be, because all preceding negotiations had already fallen through and so the decision to strike is the last resort, and you either do it or you don't), and that there wasn't enough consideration to shows which were due to come out which they can't now do publicity for (and quelle suprise, his show is about to come out, which didn't exactly set the world on fire in its first season, and there are shows always coming out every week to the point there is no good time to strike that such publicity won't be affected by it).

He seems to just want to be able to do publicity for his show. That's it. He's just a selfish prick.

Stephen Amell.... You have failed this city!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,461 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As you say. Just being a selfish prick 'cos he can't promote his show nobody(?) is watching. I guess he's scared about the residuals - gosh, someone should have a word in his ear about strike action!

I'd say he makes a decent amount from the residuals off Green Arrow, not to mention his likely wage packet in later seasons and appearances in the other shows.

Residuals and wage protections that were largely fought for and won by the union on previous occasions.

But yeah, boo hoo I don't get to promote my show that shag all people gave a f*ck about the first time, and no doubt if it doesn't get renewed for a third season he'll blame the strike, rail against being "cancelled" for speaking out against the strike, then end up doing films with Gina Carano that no one sees.

Funny how he's actually promoting his show by acting like a prick. I didn't even know he was on a new show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

some small town, north american, white people wrestling show.... Amell and his cousin LOVE wrestling...

George Clooney & Amal, Matt Damon & Luciana, Leonardo DiCaprio, Hugh Jackman & Debora, The Rock, Nicole Kidman, JLo & Ben Affleck, Ryan Reynolds & Blake Lively, Julia Roberts, Arne, Meryl Streep and Oprah have all donated $1m to the emergency financial assistance program over the last few weeks.

That will be very helpful to the jobbing actors and writers actually out on the picket lines.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Given the huge number of actors in the union and all the bills they'll need to pay over the course of the strike, I hope more of the bigwigs can throw some dough into the pot. But still, fair play to the ones who have already.

• Advertisement

Does the fund cover all the other non actor/writer departments who are out of work too, or is it just for the actors?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Its small timers Amstel who are the real problem. You won't find much criticism round here for the Disney Diviner who laid off thousands of staff and is happy for protesters to end up homeless while he makes $27M a year. You see, Bob Iger is on the right side of the culture war so that automatically makes him the good guy. Its small timers and the electric car guy who are the real bad guys. Because that's what the media says. Input goes in / input goes out. Say its a tax write off. That makes his 27M a year salary more palatable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

LOL I think you'd have to look very, very hard to find anyone who thinks Bob Iger is 'the good guy'. If anything, he's - entirely correctly - become the figurehead for corporate entities in this whole affair, due to his obscene, unforgivable salary and deeply ignorant, tone-deaf comments about the strike. Not everything happens through the prism of the US culture war.

Who the F around here thinks Iger is a " good guy"? JFC some people are obsessed with bringing culture wars into everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,276 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Even Walt Disney's grandniece was calling Iger out on his comments.

Bob Iger is in no way, shape or form, the good guy in all this.

Christ are you so desperate for an argument on the Internet that you're now just inventing things to get angry about?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

On a less strawman-y note, I saw an ad for an upcoming comics convention in Dublin the other day. Their actor guests who are part of SAG-AFTRA (Linda Hamilton included) are still allowed appear, but with a caveat: they can’t actually speak about their work. So audiences can ask about their upbringing, hobbies, travel arrangements etc… but not the actual thing they’re known for! 100% behind the strike and the unions (take the studios for all their worth, IMO) but always interesting to note the odd consequences and grey areas of the industrial action in, well, action.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

2 very cool guests..

"errrr, Linda, what was the name of your first pet?

No, not trying to break into your gmail account.."

• Advertisement

That's gonna be a very weird Q&A if Hamilton can't talk about the one and arguably only thing that made her famous at all!

Advertisement