Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

We are in Tayto Park, the weather forecast was mental for this weekend, forecast kept changing every few hours, myself and my husband spent an hour on Thurs evening checking all charts and trying to pick best day this weekend.

Think we picked well, windy but some nice sunshine aswell. We have had 3 extremely heavy showers that would soak you but have only lasted about 10 mins and we have been lucky each time near shelter.

Sitting here in sun now after a big shower.

The raptor show is amazing, I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

and this is exactly what the long term weather models are showing, summer comes back just in time for school.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Fair sunny and windy in Sligo and Leitrim. Atrociously Autumnal showers at times though. Summer has long left. This windy crap is Septemberry or Augusty at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

It's not a bad day out where I am but the wind is sucking a fair bit of the good out of it, torrential showers as well. But it's mostly dry and 15 degrees. Ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

21 June was a lovely warm day. I felt we got great weather in Galway until the end of June. We got 5 weeks of bone dry weather. We badly needed rain by end of June. It was gorgeous when it is was dry and bright. You have to make the most of it.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Torrential rain here now. Another pure waste of a summers evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Looking out towards Bray from the Wicklow Mtns today. Lovely warm breeze and mostly sunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Magic Midget

14c Carlow. Feels autumnal and I feel like putting on heat!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Batten down the hatches for tomorrow, it'll be another wipeout. The week ahead looks generally rubbish as well.

So much for the summer of 2023 - hard to see a major turnaround at this late stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Such a shame. Beautiful moon out there tonight

Few belter of showers between 2-330pm and very windy at times.

On the road tomorrow. Boo.

Post edited by Kutebride on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Some serious rain in North Donegal today.

Have no idea when I'm going to get the garden cut again! It's about a fortnight since I last did it and it's growing like crazy.

Appears to be no sign of any real dry spell on the horizon either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

We seen these mad clouds at Tayto Park today, picture doesn't do them justice better in real life.

Apart from showers it was very pleasant today, it was about 18/ 19 degrees and lovely sunshine in late afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Next Saturday night into Sunday looks rather stormy especially for summer , 980mb low is rather strong for summer as people's garden things can be blown away , one of my feckin sunflowers 🌻 snapped earlier in the wind was cracking up

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭ottolwinner

July has been more typical of our summers but as someone mentioned few post up we have had 5 weeks of fab weather end may into June in Galway.

even through July it’s been warm and humid.

Grant it I’ve been on the roads around the country a lot in July but there’s been opportunity most days to enjoy some fab sunshine somewhere en route.

ive found it unbearable to have more than shorts and t shirts on.

the duvet in the the back bag, the bed is down to just a bed sheet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

I literally gave up and left

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Ozvaldo

P1ssing out of the heavens Cork City as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

I honestly don't understand how anyone could talk up the weather this July. It's absolute crap! You might get the odd passable day of 18 degrees and dryish, a rare good day of 20 degrees and a bit of weak sun, but 90% of the time it's varying degrees of CRAP. Most weekends are on the very bad side of crap. Today, for example, second big match Sunday in a row and heavy rain forecast for Dublin, miserable here already in Kerry. There really is no way you can talk up this July. It's a horror show, up there with the worst of summers!

Messy oul day. Reminds me of All Ireland football final day 2015. That was the 3rd Sunday of September though!

Aswell as wet feels autumnal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ya they need to put All Ireland back in sunny September. Don't have time to watch them in July or August. Too much on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

One day to go , is there anyone willing to say this is the wettest July "on record" ?

Wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

Couldn't agree more. Won't derail the thread as plenty about the matches over on GAA. But you generally had a better chance of decent dry match conditions in September as well as it being a much more enjoyable time of year just before the onset of real autumn and winter for school kids, college goers and pretty much everyone. Here's hoping the weather today doesn't negatively impact the experience, or god forbid, have a bearing on the result!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Weather in Ireland has been shite since the day I went to Beyond the Pale in Wicklow, which was the 21st June. So we got 3 weeks of decent summer.

My parents have their friends from Sweden visiting for a week tomorrow and just looking at the outlook I feel so bad for them. Cool, blustery, rainy, makes it difficult to enjoy any of the outdoors we have to offer here especially for older people.

People seem to equate a few random hours of sun here and there followed by rain as lovely weather on this forum, but you can plan for f**k all at the moment and it's even a nightmare getting clothes dry. In July ffs!

I run 4 or 5 times a week since covid and I can't remember a spell of weather keeping me at home or getting soaked while running this bad since I started running, regardless of the season. It's just f**king diabolical.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

If you've been paying attention to my posts, you'd know the answer to that. Phoenix Park is seeing its wettest since 1936. Wettest on record at Mount Dillon, Dunsany and Athenry. Other places have still seen wetter in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2020 this century so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭esposito

That was a crap final too. Let’s hope we’ve a great match today.

I was honestly thinking I was going mad reading this forum. The last few posts have restored my sense to be honest. Couldn’t agree more it’s diabolical and no amount of pretending 18 degrees and showers is some way acceptable makes it so. It’s another diabolical day here again wet overcast and 15 f-ing degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Shannon Apt just made its wettest July on record too after yesterday actually. Records there go back to the 1940s.

• Advertisement

Sryan how would the summers or more specific the Julys of 92-94 compare with this year?

Advertisement