Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange New Worlds S2-E7- ''Those Old Scientists"

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'll be honest, I never got into the likes of Rick & Morty, Seth Macfarlands animated stuff or any of the Adult Swim content save for stuff that turns up online anyway. But there's just enough "Star Trek" in Lower Decks for me to enjoy that show. It strikes the balance of having fun with Star Trek and not just having fun at Star Treks expense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

If Discovery did a musical it would involve lots of crying and all songs would some how end up involving or be about Michael.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,393 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

brilliant comparision of the SNW credits and the animated version of it side by side.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Some amount of work had to go into that. Super job by the team at Titmouse (the Lower Decks animation company)

I'm actually rewatching Lower Decks as a result of this episode.

By the way, here's a 5 minutes feature on the Behind the Scenes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

That may be my favourite cross over episode ever. I giggled like a child the entire way through it. Such joy. Jack Quaid is phenomenal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Holy hell, that was perfect. No notes.

Funny, but restrained all the same so the two shows meshed (the comment about people in the past speaking slower a cute nod), and everything just clicked so well. It was damn lucky Newsone and Quaid vaguely looked like their characters at all - and they did a fabulous job aping their animated versions.

Trials and Tribble'ations may have been overtaken by this for a fun bit of Trek celebration. I get that people don't like Lower Decks and that's fine, but this also felt like an earnest, heartfelt showboat of Trek and its own lore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭Stark

One thing I did notice throughout the episode is how tall Jack Quaid is compared to his animated Boimler counterpart.

I've already started rewatching it. First SNW episode I've done that for so far I think. It's just so much fun.

The looking alike is not a coincidence. The animators definitely did it on purpose, if you look at Rutherford and Tendi too. It's a pity didn't see them waiting, through the portal, in real life version.

With the greatest respect to Jerry O Connell, I don't think he'd be able to pull off a live action Ransom.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I noted that and I suspect it's a budget thing. Aside from needing uniforms and make up, it would switch them from a voice role to an acting role. Plus the need for travel expenses, since the Lower Decks have been doing all their voice work remotely.

All I know is I would love to see real life couple being Number 1 Vs Number 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,270 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I had a hard time dealing with Mariner, felt it was too over-acted and distracting.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I wonder if the whole humour thing is being over done overall in the series

Is it just the big bang theory in space now?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

No, all the older Trek had fun and humorous episodes too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Not every series has to follow the exact same tone/format anyway. I like the groove SNW is finding for itself even if it's not to everyone's tastes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,154 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yup, there's plenty of room for it, and it works. Would love a more serious show set at some point in the post DS9/Voyager world for balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

This episode certainly was, but it's followed by an absolute belter of an episode! Which we probably can't say about BBT!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Lower Decks isn't even Big Bang Theory, so don't quite get your point?

I just felt it's leaning a bút too much I the humour direction. Nothing wrong with the occasional episode though. Occasional funny episode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭eadrom

I do think the balance was a little skewed towards the comedy this season overall. More an observation than an outright complaint, but I would like to see it shift the other way a bit more.

I’d say that’s unlikely though to be honest. They do the comedy well and I’d imagine it brings in more casual viewers.

I do wonder if the writers were looking at the mixed reception The Orville's new darker tone received and thought "Let's not follow them down that route".

Entertainment is what gets the eyes on the box and so anything too heavy or too high concept will make it easier to cancel.

Look how The Exoanse struggled. Best sci fi in a damm long timebut struggled because it was uncompromising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

DS9 was very grim and dark at times, but still managed to have humour and comedy in some episodes. Usually Ferengi related..

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Advertisement