Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drainage

Options
  • 30-07-2023 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭

Have some silage ground that the weather is killing and cant harvest second cut. Needs 4-5 days dry weather and at that it will still be tracked in a few spots. Planning on red clover here also so needs to be drier earlier and lasted in the year for 3rd cut. If in red clover would want to be waiting on third cut now really.

1) Recent drains I see being put in are pipeless. Just stone and fill to the top and leave them open then. Thoughts?

2) what’s the best stone? The drains I have seen look like 4 inch down blue stone.

3) assuming a 30 tonne load (or is it 20) how many 30 metres drains would a load do roughly ( assuming average depth).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Did a bit at the end of June. 25ton of 2 inch round drainage stone was covering approx 100 metres. Drain depth of a little over a metre stone to just about 6-8 inches from the top.

Always put pipe in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭893bet

Thanks. A load to 2.5 drains seems to be a conservative estimate assuming 40metre drain (no idea of the length I need yet. How much a load were they?

By pipe do you mean standard yellow pipe?

€12/ton + the vat.

Yep the yellow style pipe but now in black.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭dh1985

Done a good few shores here in the last 8 years. Round stone the size of eggs. No pipe. Stone to within a couple inches of surface. Very happy with results. Good flow out of them unless weather is very dry

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Lorne Armstrong

€12 euro a ton is a very good price. Was that delivered?? I was quoted €19 + vat delivered or 14 collected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Definitely is value, its 14 to 16 all in, around here for 2 inch up to 6 inch standard blue drainage stone delivered.

Delivered at that price. Short spin of a few miles. It's 2"inch round like eggs like @dh1985 said

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Depends on your ground really, we go as deep as the outlet allows most drains here are 6ft or more deep and would have constant flows out of them. Its ground water that can keep ground wet here anyway. If putting in pipe put sewer pipe or some solid pipe over the end and out into the open drain, will stop roots from going down and blocking drains. Also found running two drains towards one outlet can keep it flowing and therefore working better, less chance to block up.

Have a bit of ground to do here but will take a a good bit of everything in terms of pipe and stone to do right so must do up a budget first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭older by the day

Did any one ever use a mole plough in this situation. Seems by your text the hole field is wet. Drains and pipes will drain wet patch's (springs hollows ect.)

I had very wet land that I got turned, mixing the peat and clay. I often dried places with a very light drain hitting a spring just at it. Sometimes a good clean dyke around the fieldvand give all the old drains a good rodding. Most important thing is a good digger operation. He could save you a fortune. You need a plan or you are only wasting money

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭893bet

Thanks for input folks. Plan is most likely for next summer, or else September if weather goes my way and I could combine a few hedges with the whacker when the track machine is on the field anyway.

3 loads of stones should do 7 or 8 decent length drains (1500 or so).

300 on yellow pipe of I need it

1000 on the contractor should make a decent job of the 6 acre field.

There are a few drains in the field already and some flowing still so just need to figure out where they are and plan where I want/need the newer ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Good loser

Mr Stonewall in post 2 above has a load of stone doing 100 metres. So 1500 m length on that basis would need 15 loads not 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 samcr440!

Hi I believe he's is talking about 1500 euro spend on stones not 1500 meters of drains

Advertisement