Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The thing about the weather is that it can fool you....for about 20min, then it's back to rain.

The last few days gave been like that up here in North Donegal. You might have a few hours rain, then the sky seems to clear and the sun comes out, and yes it is warm, in fact I'd call it hot. But you can't even go for a walk or anything, as inside 30min or less, it'll be biblical rain again.

What I like is predictability. Allowing you to plan, to actually say "we'll do this". But there is no hope of doing that, as there simply isn't a dry day or two available. Even 1 day would let you get a few things done. We shouldn't have to be using a tumble dryer in July ffs.

Edit: just as I type this, we have had a glorious morning so far. A few events on locally and its been perfect weather for them. But I'm currently looking up at really dark clouds, and know the heavy rain isn't far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Magic Midget

Sryan will give better detail. But none as wet in Carlow, from memory. July 1994 was a good average. May, June 1993 were the wetter months and July 1993 average enough. July 1992 poor enough after a good May and June. But not as wet as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

It's my wettest July since I started recording months in 2009. Maybe 2007 or 2008 were wetteras was 1985 and 1986.

August may try to outWET July

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

It's deceptive looking out the window in West Dublin today, as it looks OK, but it is in fact lightly drizzling all morning and I'm just in from work and soaked from it.

And it is quite cold actually.

@sryanbruen What is the wettest July on record (year and amount) for Casement, if you have that info handy? Thanks - your stats here are brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Ah come on, August could very easily be good. Sometimes it’s like a competition in here between yourself and Gonzo to see who can be the most pessimistic 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭alentejo

As someone who cycles in Dublin, I can confirm that I have never been drowned as much as this July. Utter horror show!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A wet miserable day here in Castlebar. High stool and All Ireland only job.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yep same here. Winter has nothing on this sh*t.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It may seem like that but this summer has been pretty grim, at least here in the east we are not normally used to this amount of rain or the frequency of it during the summer. First 10 days of August look cool and mostly wet, after that maybe we may begin to slowly ease out of this setup which has taken up most of the summer by that point. I still maintain final week of August/back to school week will see a significant improvement but for many people that is too little too late as the summer holidays will be over by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pity it's going to be wet for the All Ireland. Still it should be a great game all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Should have played the All Ireland in PUC this year! Guaranteed good weather 😀😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Rain

The past seven days were wetter than average, with 1.5 to 2 times the normal rainfall recorded for the time of year. 15 to 30mm broadly fell over the southern half of the country, with 30 to 60mm recorded further north. Nearly 100mm was recorded locally in Donegal. Much of the country will see higher than average rainfall over the coming week. Totals of 30 to 50mm likely over Connacht and Ulster, around twice the average. The northwest will see the highest rainfall amounts. The south and east will be drier, with totals of 15 to 30mm likely. Rainfall will be near average for the driest areas in the south and east.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Weve had no summer just been a total sh1t show

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

Oh thank god we went to Tayto Park yesterday. Its actually feels cold today and that rain is down for the day, you can just tell by looking at it.

That's a washout for both all Ireland finals, that's terrible.

My husband actually said this week when we had the really nice evening that he forgot it was summer!

That's the first evening in the whole of July that could actually go to park after work and for it to feel lovely and warm and sunny.

Someone also mentioned colds and flu yep my son and husband have that at moment and are rarely sick never mind in the middle of summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Magic Midget

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Sweet devine, the rain in the West since left the East at 9am. Met it on the M6 😅 What a week to take holidays 😒😒

@sryanbruen wonder where could share that stat at Shannon Airport to my socials ........ not that anyone needs reminding 🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭glitterIsland

There's a heavy drizzle where I am and it's all day.

This summer has been dreadful, weatherwise. It's no new I suppose. We usually get a few nice weeks in April or May and then it rains for the rest of the summer so it's nothing new but still it's fiercely depressing. It's too early in the year to vegetate in front of a fire with a bottle of wine. The winter was long enough and the winter to come will be long enough. There's plenty to do inside but it's depressing all the same. I had so much on my bucket list for this summer and it's all written off because of the rain and as others have pointed out, sometimes there's dry patches mid week but the weekends are washouts.

Is there any let up to this weather? I don't know how to read or anticipate weather charts or models.

We need a break from this and also some heat.

I bought two tubes of sun cream in May and one got used then and throughout June and looks like I will be able to spare the other one for next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

2007 145.4mm. All the 25 synoptic stations' wettest Julys on record including data from their old manual stations before they became automatic and compared to 2023 as of yesterday.

Athenry, Dunsany, Knock Airport, Malin Head, Moore Park, Mount Dillon and Shannon Airport all have 2023 as a new record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I swam in the sea 7 times during June.

I have only been in twice during July and the sea temp is higher.

The secret is to make the most of any window whether it be weeks of dry like June or shorter windows during the July days. Today is manky for sure.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

The weather is sh1te and as pointed out before by others, any break or good patches in the rain is appearing mid week when you're most likely in work with weekends being washouts. The grass needs cutting and laundry needs to get out on the line, and you're likely stuck in work mid week and it's so hard to get good patches in the weather and get your time aligned with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Like a November day in west cork today. Heavy drizzle all day, windy and chilly at about 15 degrees. I know we always say it, and the reply is often "it's Ireland", but this is genuinly depressing, and there isn't an end in sight looking at the charts.

An absolute waste of our few remaining long evenings. At least we had yesterday, which while windy, was at least dry for a walk!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yeah I made sure to take a load of days off in June to make the most of it. I work from home so try to take long lunches when it's nice but July has been very poor. Some of the evenings have been decent - yesterday was lovely for a long walk. I could see showers but missed them. The odd evening I'll have to stand in under a tree for a shower. This evening no chance.

I have a feeling the most pessimistic never get out much no matter that the weather.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It hasn't stopped raining all day here in Meath and it's cold, 3rd write off Sunday in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I have never done so little in the garden before, grass long hedges need cutting back, with work and the weather can't seem to get to it this year, hope August is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

Look at pictures from Croke Park, lashing rain, could be winter with people in their coats.

Ah well at least the Dubs won!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Are you sure? Were you there? Because all day it has looked like it's not raining in Dublin, but actually has been drizzling non-stop.

Lashing now though.

Post edited by Hippodrome Song Owl on

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭alentejo

I thought it was going to ease off a little. Want to try and get out for a walk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

I dont know why people are saying we got 5 weeks of good weather end of may/ june...we only got 2 weeks of sun at most it might have still been warm for another couple of weeks after that but there was rain/thunder most of the days...so it was just as bad as our normal weather even if it was still warm...unless you think warm heavy rain in summer is a good day in ireland..and it probably is compared to what we have now 🙃

Advertisement