Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bray Air Display 2023 - 29th & 30th July 2023

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Posting this at 6.30pm was a bit late.

I wonder why the planned routed wasn't followed?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I was there last year.

Missed all the "chaos". Probably I usually get the Dart to be there for 12pm, and I usually find a stool and have a drink before leaving at 7pm.

First I knew about the "chaos" was seeing social media after the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Not there today but saw them on flight radar they flew over Baldonnell turned left and they would have been over Bray in a few minutes instead the went to the Airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

hey folks, is the lancaster due to fly tomorrow ? Saw it over south Dublin, would love to see it take off or land in Baldonnel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭jimbis

Reds came up from southern Wales so could have easily passed over bray on route to baldonnel with no extra fuel burnt. The show was officially over by then but alot of people hung around with the knowledge of a fly past after 18:00.

I'm sure there was a valid reason but disappointing for kids/big kids not able to make tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

It wasn't discussed on ATC so the Bray flyby wasn't in the Arrrows' plans by today, it seems. Dublin had put line traffic into holding patterns so they wanted them on the ground on time, I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

If the forecast is as was on this evening then its highly doubtful the reds even get off the ground, be it last or first. 2pm onwards isn't great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

Some stills from my video.

Amazing seeing them on approach in formation.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭moonshy2022

Reds had it on their Twitter that they were to fly passed Bray then Bal before landing Dublin.

• Advertisement

Yes due to participate at 1500, weather dependent, not landing in Ireland.

The Red Arrows are on at 1500 the Lancaster flew home after their flypast so I doubt they would fly back from the UK to Bray again especially looking at the weather for tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭CoisFharraige

Anyone go to the Aer Lingus stand today? Just wondering who was there and is it worth heading over!

Well other than they (BBMF) have it listed on their site as both days at 1500. Yes weather dependent, but as they are leaving UK winds shouldn’t be as much of an issue. Neither should the cloud as all they are doing is runs up and down.

Reds aren’t due off blocks till 1450 tomorrow. Published TAF isn’t very detailed for show time so it could go anyway at all.

Who knows what the order is, the organisers hold the running order so close to their chest it’s ridiculous. Most years in my experience they are hugely disorganised getting everything in any order at all, hence why it falls apart.

Highlight of today for me anyway.

Beautiful pictures really love the 1st one has a real war look about it

• Advertisement

This is the thing about Bray they never ever posted a display list and times it seems they went with what ever was available, Now I am from Galway but that is the one thing that the Salthill Air Show always done they posted the display times.

You're entitled to your opinion but for those that did go along today there was a show with reasonable variety and no display gaps. Several of the pilots commented to the display ATC that the conditions were pretty turbulent but this wasn't really evident to the public and no act cancelled on account of the weather. You seem to have some detailed knowledge of the running of the show last year that the rest of us don't, but in any case that is history and it's now 2023.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Recent post on Red Arrows Twitter account confirms they will perform at Bray at 1500.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭alentejo

Am most likely going to give this a miss this year as all the weather forecasts would appear to be not conducive to an airshow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Doesn’t look good for today.

• Advertisement

Yeah not great out here at the moment. Still dry & breeze is dying down but the cloud cover is fairly low & forecast is for heavy shows from early afternoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,625 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Red Arrows cockpit footage via Twitter of the arrival over Dublin port yesterday

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭Calibos

Whatever about the low cloud, theres a chance the rain is arriving early and might clear in time for the show 4 hours from now at 3pm.

ie. Sat imagery shows no end to the clouds out into the Atlantic but the Met.ie rainfal radar which unlike other sites is using the temporary Shannon radar, seems to show the back end of the frontal rain band at Galway on the west coast and by the animation progression looks like it might clear the East coast in time. Another few frames covering an hour should show if thats just a gap in the band over Galway now with more behind or if it is indeed the back edge of the frontal rain band.

Even in terms of cloud, yeah in all likelihood its full cloud cover for the duration, but I've lived long enough in Bray (and even see it happen on airshow days) where the whole country is clouded over but the particular atmospheric perameters or interaction with maritime air on the day mean that a gap in the clouds forms in the lee of the Wicklow mountains over South County Dublin and the Wicklow Coast.

Wouldn't completely rule out things coming good in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rock Solid

They could do a Flat Show, low level display.

Remember one year at Salthill it was lashing rain in the morning the Reds were to close the show at 5pm, they always played the Marine and Aircraft comms over the tannoy system , there was a Navy ship heading for Salthill for the show and they called him up and asked for the current weather and were told it was beautiful West of Aran heading in our direction, turned into a scorcher of a day, there is hope yet

Aer Lingus A320neo EI-NSB is down to display - ETD Dublin 1550.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Buffman

Hopefully the current bands of rain move off before show time. Saw the RTE News report on yesterday's display, crowds looked very tin on the beach compared to previous years.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭xper

Bus into Bray just now was nearly empty. Traffic queue off the M50 is moving quickly. Anti-vax nut jobs are at their usual spot on the Dublin Rd. Rain has been very light so far and cloud base is high considering, looks like 3-4000ft maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

What runway would Reds be taking off from please

Air Corps AW139 (serial 279) inbound to the Eagle's Nest at Bray, from where it will presumably fly later. Callsign "Wolf" as yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Dart virtually empty. Southbound from Connolly at 13:30. Loads of staff on. Croke Park seems to be a bigger generator of crowds today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

Just flew into Dublin airport and pretty sure the red arrows are parked at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭Calibos

Was going to post something similar about light to no drizzle, high cloud deck and lack of crowds and traffic. No throngs coming off dart down the road from me yet.

Seems like the Dubs playing in croker today, last years transport debacle and the weather forecast put most people off coming out to Bray today.

For those that do make the trip its looking like they aren’t going to get wet, the Reds will likely display and it might not even be the flat display and getting to and from the show should be much less stressful than previous years due to much lower attendance today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭peneau

Lansdowne Road, Southbound, four minutes ago, this time last year, carriages were jammed

• Registered Users Posts: 12 wondering jack

Any idea what time the red arrows will depart dublin airport to go to bray today 30/7/23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭emo72

Is the viggen taking off in baldonnell. Was thinking of heading over to see it

2.50pm runway 28 Left not the best for plane spotters rain at Dublin Airport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭deandean

Big difference to the Dart last year, remember passengers ended up forcing the doors open and walking along the tracks!

People were told to start they're DART journeys before 11am so it's 50 minutes before start now, it's going to be quieter on the darts.

Attendance in general is down this year, airshow this weekend competing with more events, all Ireland final, aviva stadium & concerts in Dun Laoighre

Personally myself and even being local to Bray I think it needs to freshen up the acts, in general its the same most years. Went down to it yesterday & I'll watch the reds from the house, apart from that won't be missing much that wasn't there yesterday

• Advertisement

It's runway 28 not sure L or R. 2.50pm

No sign of the Lancaster en route from UK. I'd say the weather will have put paid to it appearing today. It doesn't fly unless it's VFR weather.

They mentioned as well yesterday that the weather yesterday was right on its limits so yeah no chance today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Light drizzle just started in Bray.

Iarnród Éireann very well organised. They’ve moved the validators on the sea side platform away from the platform which is moving people off the platform and clearing things well.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

Rain is getting heavier here in Dundrum. Hope the RA still get to fly.

Reds starting up

• Advertisement

Reds departing in 90 seconds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Alkers

Any time for the viggen? All I'm interested in after the red arrows really

Reds launching

Reds checking weather and cloud before deciding, may still return to Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Alkers