Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

anyone will do as long as the the back story has explosions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Maybe the fact they are entitled to work after 6 months, officially, could be a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Some people find ways around rules about work others just fake it and get jobs in healthcare services like this fake child psychologist.

This is not the first case of an unqualified immigrant securing work in healthcare services working with children and having zero qualifications to do so ,so much for strict vetting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Packrat

Latest in a long line sadly.

It's like there's this whole community of Pollyannas who run this country. Because they've never experienced any adversity themselves in their middle class upbringing, they seem to be totally unaware of what people on the make from a poor background or country will do. They believe in the system because it rewarded their parents and them. They seem to think that anyone acting out against the system is an aberration to be helped and understood rather than understanding that for the people who the system doesn't reward, it's just something to be circumvented, lied to and scammed in any way possible.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Hamachi

There may not be a legal obligation to claim asylum in the first safe country one enters. However, it beggars belief that some posters are excusing the behaviour of those who pass through double-digit counts of safe countries to ostensibly seek ‘sanctuary’.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

The post you are quoting was directed at a poster who pretends they don't know the rules of international application for asylum , repeatedly.. Read the post I quoted.

Why does it 'beggar belief exactly '?? Except some people here, don't like it?

It is an essential part of the IPA that people can choose where they want to claim asylum.

Why is that an issue... because after ignoring us for years people are now coming here?

The problem lies in the deliberate encouragement by our Minister, not in the IPA, not NGOs,

There’s no outrage. Less of the passive aggression please.

Actually, it hasn’t always been an ‘essential’ part of IPA, that applicants get to pick and choose where they opt to claim asylum. The Dublin convention mandated that applicants were required to claim asylum in the first EU country in which they landed. It’s only relatively recently that the current de-facto free for all has been instituted.

On what basis are you asserting that people were ‘ignoring’ this country for years. Given your vintage, you must be aware that asylum claims have been statistically significant since the mid 1990s. In fact in the early 00’s, Ireland was the premier destination for Nigerian asylum applicants across the entire EU. Hardly undiscovered, virgin territory.

I do agree that our woefully incompetent minister has exacerbated this situation. The sooner he is ejected at the next GE and returned to third rate academia, the better the outcome for this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,421 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Yes Roddy invites everyone to come here, don't care where from, why here or past criminality, just to let him and the government look good in Europe, the policy needs overall reform and stricter entry

In my view, O’Gorman’s approach wasn’t about appeasing anybody in Brussels. It’s a solo run by an ideologue, who has only ever worked in academia and failed to grasp the pull factors that his nonsense generated.

I do agree that it’s now time for pragmatism and to pull back from much of the misguided policy devised and implemented by ROG.

Nah incorrect.

That apllies to those who have applied in multiple states.. Allowing for transfer back to first state person has submitted for fingerprinting and documentation.

So you are expecting me to believe you don't know that either??

And why are you calling a poster Passive Aggressive?

Because I don't agree with you?

• Advertisement

Read the text of the original Dublin convention. It has since been amended. It’s simply untrue to state that IPAs have always had the option to freely choose where they claim asylum. Nah indeed..

Frankly, I have no expectations around what you believe or disbelieve. It’s of zero consequence to me.

But let’s return to your previous utterance that Ireland was ‘ignored’ until recently. Still standing over that? I guess if you perceive three decades as ‘recent’, that may be justifiable. However, I would argue that it demonstrates a pretty tenuous grasp of chronology..

Not recent for Nigerians but for other countries for the reasons outlined in my first post which I believe you agree with.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It should not need saying, but to avoid some of you losing posting privileges I would strongly suggest you learn how to interact in a civil manner

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

ROG’s approach has literally been no different to that of previous governments.

However, he’s a Green. So the whole fearmongering of ‘the Greens are gonna get ya’ applies.

It ‘literally’ hasn’t. Can you point to a previous government who committed to ‘own door’ accommodation within 4 months and localised tweets into multiple languages, advertising the ‘benefits’ of applying in Ireland.

No fearmongering in play here. The greens are an irrelevant, fringe side-show at best. I have the pleasure of living in O’Gorman’s constituency and can assure you that he’s toast at the next GE.

Hes the only Minister who has tried to end the barbaric Direct Provision system. What’s so wrong with that?

Are you in favour of direct provision, knowing how cruel and inhumane it is?

People seem to forget that Ukraine has happened which has put immense pressure on the space available for people seeking international protection (beit Ukrainian or otherwise). Nothing that is happening now with asylum seekers is any different to before. Proposed DP centres were being burned down before ROG was Minister.

So yes, I will put it down to you fearmongering because ROG is a Green. We still have DP centres despite the fact nobody wants to call them that anymore.

You can chalk it down to whatever you want ‘Faugheen’, but the inconvenient fact remains, that you are simply incorrect. It’s ironic that you accuse me of ‘fearmongering’, when you issue that hyperbolic little tirade. Let’s have some fun and deconstruct your nonsense.

Let’s start with direct provision. Care to outline precisely how this system is ‘barbaric’, particularly given that it’s the model pursued by many of our partners across the EU.

An asylum seeker lands in Ireland, s/he may or may not have a legitimate claim to remain. However, historical data reveals that the majority of claims are indeed spurious. Meanwhile, whilst their claim is assessed, the applicant is accommodated, albeit communally, fed, watered, receives basic health care, and a small weekly stipend, all financed by the Irish taxpayer.

I’m not seeing any barbarity here. Care to outline specifics ‘Faugheen’? The fact is that many approved asylum seekers remain in direct provision, even after their claim has been approved. That’s a rather inconvenient scenario for you isn’t it? Are you truly advocating for ‘own door’ accommodation in the midst of an acute housing crisis, further disadvantaging those same Irish taxpayers, who are already financing this broken system? Do you believe in exacerbating an already bad situation?

Why are you conflating Ukrainians with IPAs from MENA and sub-Saharan Africa? They are two entirely different migration surfaces, as anybody with a rudimentary understanding comprehends. Ireland has stepped up and taken in a disproportionately large amount of Ukrainians. The population has by-and-large supported this.

Concurrently, O’Gorman’s white paper and localised tweets triggered a 500% YoY increase in asylum applications, from non-Ukrainian IPAs. This spike is directly attributable to an incompetent ideologue who should never have had his hands on the levers of power, regardless if he is ‘green’ or otherwise. I hope this doesn’t induce hyperventilation ‘Faugheen’, but ROG is deeply unpopular in his own Dublin West constituency and will be summarily dismissed, possibly within the next year if rumblings are to be believed.

The immense pressure on space that you describe is the direct result of Roderic O’Gorman’s failures. The electorate are frustrated and understand that the current situation simply isn’t sustainable. That frustration manifests itself in several ways, one of which will be truncating O’Gorman’s political career at the next GE. I suggest you buckle up ‘Faugheen’.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Juran

There are many a student and low paid works who envy the DP system. What they wouldnt give for a free safe bed, hot meal 3x a day & a medical card. But no, instead over government don't seem bother with students sleeping in cars, someone's sofa, communiting 3 hours a day, or having to give up their oppurtunity of education as they cant afford €700-€900 a month to rent a room. Our Government don't seem.bother than we have young graduates, nurses, doctors, engineers who are having to hand over 50% of their monthly wage to rent a room, who head off to Australia, Canada, Europe, UK, when they can't survive on their left over wages. I have nephews & nieces, and their friends who can vouch for all of the above scenarios.

Without the government supporting students and low paid graduates, and low paid workers in general:

we are essentially pushing them out of the economy (as they have no extra money to spend).

we are pushing them out of society (as they cant afford to join social & sports clubs, dont have the money to go out weekends like we did in the 90's and 00's, and lots more life experiences they are missing out on).

We are pushing them out of the country to study elsewhere, to work elsewhere and to bring their skills to another country. The other country gains, but Ireland loses.

The point I'm making is (1) its a direct kick in the teeth to the students and lower paid to see how the government look after AS and IPA, but seem to ignore their needs.

(2) I'm not saying Ireland should stop taking refugees or IPA, but it needs a new policy asap. It needs to invest money in a new processing system, IT, processing centers etc. It would be money well spent. And use the rest of the budget to fund student and affordable workers accomidation across the country. Some of the currently being use hotels, once emptied, can be hired by the government for students and workers so they can rent an affordable rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Anyone who thinks Direct Provision is grand and handy should try living in it.

Absolute delusion from people here saying otherwise. Also disgusting that some would sneer at people getting a medical card.

The lack of empathy and compassion shown here is nothing more than a disgrace. Shame on all of you.

So much for this thread being a genuine discussion and none of the bile portrayed in other threads.

• Advertisement

Why are you putting my name in quotations?

I suggest if you have something to say then you should stop being such a coward and say it.

Go on, I dare you.

I find it extremely hard to believe that anybody hasn't heard of the criticisms of direct provision, particularly by the United Nations and the Council of Europe.

The oireachtas committee on justice and equality have found it not for for purpose.

Every human rights organisation and any organisation concerned with the rights of children have all criticised the direct provision system.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

What if their family are already in the country to which they are heading? You make refugees and asylum seekers sound like tourists with a travel brochure in front of them picking and choosing which country they wish to claim asylum in. They may have very specific reasons why they wish to go to a certain country (family ties, language, religion, culture, existing community of refugees from their country etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Juran

No one is sneering at anyone who has a medical card. In fact, everyone person in the country should have a medical card of some type, rich, poor, working, unemployed, born here, resident here but born in another country, etc. We pay enough taxes to have a state provided universal healthcare system. Like they have in Germany, France, Sweden.

I have no issue with the irish state providing room & board, healthcare and education to AS, refugees, IPA during their applicatiin process, or when they get approved to stsy here.

The point I am making, why, as a wealthy western economy, do we choose not to provide the same basic provisions for our students and lower paid ?

This is what most people I speak with have the biggest problem with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Essentially, NGOs and people will vested interests peddle dramatics about the horrors of getting free bed and board in a Hotel. I've seen little to no proof about the "inhumane" conditions of DP.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Do you think that families should be housed in one bedroom of a hotel? While families in one bedroom? Nowhere to cook, no separate living and sleeping quarters? Nowhere for kids to play?

No, I don’t make it sound anything of the sort. That’s how you choose to interpret it. Given some of your historical utterances on threads of this nature, you’ll forgive me if I’m not entirely confident in any critique you may provide.

Asylum seekers may indeed have specific reasons for targeting a particular country. That’s on them. Meanwhile, the host country has limited capacity and only has the ability to house a finite number of applicants.

When that limited is reached, the perfectly rational response of the host country is to take steps to lower the count of applications and to increase the barriers to entry. This approach is something several of our EU partners have sensibly adopted, with varying degrees of success.

Good post .

I agree with you Juran .

However these are not new issues and they are completely of the governments making .

There are posters here spending all their energy directing and venting anger over immigrants asylum seekers , posting about some very unsavoury individuals and saying " look they are all like this " .

Those who are criminal are in the minority , like the young lads in Dublin inner city gangs beating and robbing .

The Minister for Integration while being all welcoming and a bit naive, is in charge of children, child abuse scandals , difficulties with Tusla , asylum seekers accomodation and processing and much more . It's a mammoth task for which he has been, it appears , left to flounder by his colleagues in government .

He can't be blamed for housing or student accomodation or the medical card allocation as well.

These are the responsibility of other ministers in other parts of government , who need to step up and sort these problems out .

It is simply not good enough for anyone in a so called 'wealthy ' country to be languishing on waiting lists for housing and health service provision and causing an unnecessary divide between people, all of whom are deserving of help and support .

The excuses of recession , Brexit and Covid have all run out now . This government need to step up .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Yes, when the other option seems to be to give them housing, which they could end up in for years on end, costing the tax payer a fortune and taking away housing stock from citizens who badly need homes. A nation that cares for it's citizens last isn't much of a nation, a will eventually crumble under its own errors.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,392 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

They should for a time, yes. Its not housing. Its accommodation.... better then the streets where many irish find themselves... they dont have the luxury of a hotel

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement