Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Just got an email that they're gonna be surveying my area (Donegal DA) this summer. Wasn't expecting it for another while tbh, thought they would have to do Ballybofey / Stranorlar area first as its between us and the Letterkenny hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Gramsci Babeuf

We have just moved to pre order (North Louth). Exciting times. How long roughly will it take to go live?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

Department's latest State Aid report. (issued 2023-07-04)

National Broadband PlanState Aid Reporting – Third Year Update 2022/23 (pdf)

https://www.gov.ie/pdf/?file=https://assets.gov.ie/262483/453b473f-335f-4b46-84a8-a27353670f1c.pdf#page=null

Subsidy as of 2023-03-31: €378.54m

Due to the positive pace of the rollout, the forecast for the end of 2023 is due to be exceeded, with more than 190,000 premises passed by mid-December 2023. This will put NBI ahead of their target for the end of January 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

I have a new build the area is to go live in August I've been engaged with NBI since I started building now they told me I'd be surveyed in August and more than likely i get connected a month after every one else now I'm been told it could be between sept and Dec before in given a connection.

They are the most difficult company I've ever felt with in my life

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 265 Mod ✭✭✭✭OSI

In a similar situation and the most recent feedback I got is that they'll have to wait till everyone else in the area is connected before they can do a capacity survey on the infrastructure to see if they can accommodate us. This despite the house being in construction since before the initial survey and all the hardware being on the pole that's on the site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

I am 2 months into a new build in an area that has already been surveyed, but not yet started build. I dont have an eircode yet. I assume I'll need an eircode before I engage NBI and get on their survey list?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

I have been talking to a subcontractor to NBI he reckons this theory were been told that you have to wait untill the system is up and running to check capacity is utter bull I'm in an area of 1400 houses and the capacity is much greater.

I have been engaged with NBI nearly 12 months now and the goal posts have change so many times I do wonder have they a clue what they are at

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

It makes no sense. The government contract for the NBI is to to cover all the properties in the amber area. Unless there was a massive addition to the number of properties in your area where they may need to consider running additional fibre lines, then the capacity requirements will have been known well ahead of time. That's the whole point of the surveying process. The end result of surveying is a build plan for the number of fibre runs, number of DPs required, ducting/poles required, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

We're in the extreme north of Westmeath (almost in Cavan).

For a long time our connection estimate from NBI was July 2024 - July 2025.

However, we have received un update bringing it forward, new date range is Jan-March 2024.

We can see them doing digging etc about 4km from us, so getting closer.

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

Does anyone if wholesalers like NBI, Siro, Eir charge retailers (not customers) per connection or is it more specific like being based on the product/speed (500mbps, 1Gb, 2Gb, etc)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

I'm attempting to move my NBI broadband from Sky to Vodafone. Vodafone is looking for an "NBI Line ID" (not my UAN). They say I'll get it from Sky but their CS is closed today. It's nowhere to be seen on their bill or MySky. Has anyone else heard of this and is it only available from my current ISP?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It's only available from your ISP, which is as it should be - you need a piece of information that only the customer knows to prevent providers from switching you without your consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tigerbalm_eu

After many years on (V)DSL – our apartment block got recently wired for SIRO by TLI Group and my eircode has just been marked as being available. The fibre install within the building was very professionally done and the contractors were a good six weeks at it.

So when I was looking at the various SIRO reseller ISP's I was surprised to see that my Eircode is also showing up as "soon to be available on NBI":

I'm not complaining about having (potential) choice – but is this really likely? That NBI would install a parallel fibre network to every apartment in the complex just like SIRO have done?

Or will they see that a commercial fibre network has been installed and call off the buildout ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The NBP contract is about passing premises and they get part of the subsidy for this. The apartment block contains many premises passed so the build into your area continues.

The other part of the subsidy is the connection, what happens here I don't know. This I assume will be up to the apartment block management company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Can anyone who has moved their NBI broadband from one ISP to another help me here, please?

Vodafone, to whom I'm moving, insist that they need my NBI Line ID and that my current ISP has it. Sky, from whom I'm moving, insists that they don't have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭baz9375

Hi

Yes, I switched from Digiweb to Arden broadband. Had to get on to Digiweb to get this - gave them my account number and UMR number (from their invoice) and they passed me to cancellations team who gave me the line ID number.

Arden placed the order for the move once they had this Line ID number.

Had to separately schedule cancellation date with Digiweb and activation date with Arden but all went smoothly.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

You can't switch an NBI connection without a line ID. If Sky won't give it to you, make a formal complaint and escalate to ComReg if you don't get anywhere.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-customer-complaints-code-of-practice/

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Fatal Except1on

I've been having an absolute saga with NBI/KN/Vodafone for the last two months. I need a pole inserted to callow clearance across a field beside my house. Don't want the farmer to hit the bloody thing. I informed NBI of this 2 months ago, and an NBI guy came out and spoke to me about it.

Ordered with Vodafone, due for install in 2 days time. I've told everyone repeatedly that I need a pole and now Circet are saying that they can't do the install because a pole is required and no pole crew is available. They expected a 6-8 week delay for me.

NBI says they don't have an updated site design to include a pole, despite me telling them repeatedly for 2 months AND they actually sent a guy out to double check and talk to me in person.

Not often I can feel blood boiling, but this is one of those times.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

I had similar experience. The lack of pole crews is the bottleneck with installs.

• Advertisement

Why didn't you put services trunking in your driveway to bring the cable to the building ? These sorts of situations could have been solved long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Just at the end of my 12month contract with a provider over nbi! Shopping around and found something unusual,.in that one provider is charging different rates for NBI customers,.at least 10% extra!!

I thought the concept of NBI was equal.pricing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

They never mentioned equal pricing but pricing similar to the other wholesale providers. The retail providers set their price based on the wholesale cost.

Cable and poles are coming opposite end of my site, nowhere near my driveway. I'd have to dig up a significant amount of my garden and yard to put in ducting out to the road. A pole was the cleaner solution for everyone and this was cleared, on-site, with an NBI engineer. Still they did nothing about it.

I dug 60 meters of my driveway for services including fibre from roadside pole myself. Entire premise was less headaches negotiation and no cables hanging across my property line.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

I dug approx 100 metres for ducting from my gate to the side of my house and let several NBI surveyors know everything is in place. I even have a pull through in the ducting for my install which was supposed to be June 22 one push back after another and I had more NBIdiots out doing a new survey last February again I told them about the ducting but all they were interested in was the old eircom pole in my back garden from when I had a landline years ago. My most recent install date had been June/July 23 but just checked yesterday and now its January /February 24 even though houses 1k either side of me on the same local road are now ready to order.

Pole crew did a surprise visit today and installed the pole. Can't believe it. Just waiting for installation crew to come back and finish an install and this saga + Imagine LTE saga will finally come to an end! Fingers crossed they come soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Got a date for installation - 1st September! We had been told it would be 2024 but obviously it moved faster than expected.

The only minor issue I can see is that the old, unused, phone wire goes through some silver birch trees to get to the house, presumably they will use the same pole so that might need a bit of tree pruning, have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭nursewally

Moving along nicely in Cootehill, Cavan. Workers appear to be very tight lipped with their time frames though. Hoping before Xmas as per news paper article a number of months ago stated. NBI website hasn't updated from late 2024 though.

Where's the best place to get most up to date info. I usually hop between open eir map and nbi map (even though its coming via nbi to my area but my house isn't included on the nbi map)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Gramsci Babeuf

We got connected today in rural North Louth. To say I am happy is an understatement.

The engineer from KN Circet who connected us was extremely helpful and nothing was a bother to him.

I pruned some branches off the trees close to the poles yesterday in anticipation of any dreaded holdbacks, which thankfully never materialised. This really helped with the installation, I would encourage anybody who is comfortable doing this type of work to do the same when your date arrives.

I never believed this day would actually come.

We weren't due to be connected until Jan-March 24 and that date had been moved outwards a few times. Our area went to pre-order on July 1st and then went live in the last couple of weeks. So it was a pretty quick turnaround.

For everybody else waiting to be connected, keep the faith. It will happen, and maybe sooner than you think!

Advertisement