Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Seems like this is an older problem than I thought. Pitty 2023 SF haven’t recognised what 1916 SF had recognised. True then - true now.

The then Secretary of Sinn Fein Rev. Michael O’Flanaghan declared the following to Freeman’s Journal.

“Geography has worked hard to make one nation of Ireland. History has worked against it. The island of Ireland, and the national unity of Ireland, simply do not coincide. The test of separate identity is the wish of the people. The unionists of Ulster have never given their love and allegiance to Ireland. They love the hills of Antrim and Down in the same way that we love the plains of Roscommon. We claim the right to excise what is our nation. We refuse the same right to Orangemen.”

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Can we project the opinions/thoughts of 1900's Unionists on modern day ones? That would be fun.

Whataboutery whataboutery whataboutery. You are very defensive

I haven't gone back to the 1900's to find an angle.

Oh I have no doubt it will be overcome. I simply said it would bring interesting challenges to all.

the queen in Dublin , Croke park, etc was dealing with stuff outside everyone’s living memory. This will be much more challenging - the point I was making about my upset last night. I didn’t know the corporals or anyone involved yet it still makes me genuinely upset. Here’s the reality, and some won’t like the language, but just my perspective.

That is a key event from which the trauma lives on for a very large swathe of the unionist community. We watched live TV as two of ‘our own’ were overwhelmed by a vicious, hate filled crowd. We watched helplessly as the horror unfolded live. We felt connected as a community to it and we will take it to our grave. These young men were taken to Casement Park for torture and murder, again for the world to see. Casement is synonymous in the minds of unionists re this barbaric public display of debauchery.

I am also acknowledging the challenges facing the GAA, especially if NI qualify and Casement inevitably becomes our home stadium and all that will go with that. It def will be interesting. 30,000 ni fans making their way up the Anderson town road. Undoubtedly the Casement hype and SF windups leading up to it will ensure (unfortunately) some ni fans will do what the roi fans done in Australia re windup banners and songs.

but it could all be positive. If ni is ready for 30,000 drinking ni fans on the andersonstown road then it will evidence we are ready for most things.

• Advertisement

We get the future victimhood now and 'the shinners will make us do it' excuses

Tell me this, who has caused the most rancour about West Belfast and Casement getting this investment, if it comes?

Who has been, up to now, been the most vocally bitter about it?

I can find you some quotes if you are struggling.

Like your 'never never' attitude to the Irish language will just make the bed you made hard to lie in, as the language appears all around you, you never learn.

You are already looking for something to be offended about and a block hasn't even been laid.

By a long distance, the most vocal in opposing the Casement development was the local community surrounding it. They were very angry about it and sf approach to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Ah it will be positive. Troubles now 25 years old and people are moving on. As discussed before people from nationlist backgrounds are now playing and supporting NI. Might even see a few tricolours at a NI matchs in the future in Casement.

It is from 1916 and the problem is older than you thought? Thst was the whole rational behind Ireland being partitioned in the first place. But alot predicted back then NI would be a failure because too many nationlists got left init which has turned out to be true. I think in hindsight Carson should have just had NI as Antrim, Down and Armagh. Might have worked better then. Now the jurisdiction doesn't have a unionist majority and by the GFA there can be no more gerrymandering the boundary to give a unionist a further majority. I think cross marriages and society becoming less sectarian lowers the need for unionism needing their own jurisdiction on Ireland anyway and by the GFA it is not really a unionist jurisdiction anyway. Biggest party now SF.

• Advertisement

Now that’s a wee bit of lack of understanding. OO don’t march, they walk. Bands march. The twelfth is the orange walk. I do hear nationalists referring to orange march, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard a unionist who is warm to the Orange talking about a march.

Post edited by downcow on

Planning objections are not ‘bitter’ they are normal.

The bitter stuff is coming from some Unionist politicians and amateur lawyers cum bloggers.

They will be in a fantastic and typical bind now trying to bite their tongues about a major investment. The strategic nous of the 3 Stooges TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

F*ck me.....arguing over whether it's a walk or a march surely has to be the bottom out point of this thread lads?!

Who is arguing? Pretty clear a lot of people think they march.

And it was just another way of downcow avoiding answering what he knew full well, the poster was asking.

You can tell them if you wish. I never heard anyone saying were you / are you marching. It’s always ’are you walking’. Just look at it. There is no attempt to be in step. Whereas the bands - near perfection

every day is a school day

Not at all francie. I told him they don’t march.

it would be like telling penguins they don’t fly very well or cows they don’t swim well

It isn’t important enough to me to correct your broadcaster. Whether they walk or march would be way down my list of concerns about the OO.

Francie I think you are losing the plot. You told me to tell the bbc it’s a walk. I told you to do so yourself if you wish them to know. Then you say it’s not a priority for you.

very silly discussion to start with, but an Olympic gymnast would be proud of your flips

• Advertisement

very silly discussion to start with,

Begun by you.

We will need to review and overhaul the island's police force on Unification but their ability's at marching won't be a very important consideration.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Policemen do not march, nor do they walk. They proceed - usually hoping the fracas they can see ahead will be sorted before they get there and both antagonists will be exhausted and easily subdued.

Why hurry - even by walking would be hurrying. Better just to proceed.

March to a Garda would be the beginning of Spring.

Yes exactly. And proceed is a great word for the situation. Another word used often for orange walks is procession ie they also proceed.

and yes, from what I see in that passing out parade the guards would be best not attempting to match when it’s not their thing. As you say, it is of zero use outside of ceremonial events. After a Ui they could get the Psni officers to do the ceremonial stuff as marching is very strong culturally in the unionist community.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I suspect that in a UI, the PNSI would continue to exist, as is, for a long time. The UK has many separate police forces - for good or ill.

I would think that a Dublin Metropolitan Police force would make sense in a UI, together with more independence for regional structures of the Gardai.

The same could also apply to the Courts service, and the administration of Justice.

Sure, if we are going for a new Ireland, let us keep the good bits and improve the not so good bits.

Why though?

A lot of it would be just fear of change and fear of upsetting some people.

Take the once in a lifetime chance and reform and re-start.

An island this size needs one cohesive and functioning police force not hampered by old ways of doing business or history.

A Cork person policing in Belfast and vice versa a Belfast person in Cork would be a good thing IMO.

Seems we don’t have much to worry about. If this is the most optimistic photo Gerry can find to post. Seems it was a very depressing meeting of old people. They are certainly looking puzzled and dejected

The police are the police in every democracy.

Direction comes from above, as does the culture of the force. And above in this case means the all island UI Gov directed police forces - under the control of the Ministry of Justice.

It takes time to change a culture, and it needs time. Nothing to stop Corkonians from joining the PSNI in a UI.

Do not tie such petty ideas to be a hill to die on. It is a tiny concession, and will become insignificant in the fullness of time. Look forward to cheering on the OO as they mince down O'Connell St to a flute band drowned out by a Lambeg drum. (After all the OO do not march - so mince might cover it). You never know, you might enjoy it.

You require a ‘culture’ of proper island wide policing.

Why complicate by having regional bodies?

One unambiguous police force operating from a centralised command is what we need.

• Advertisement

No, what need is a United Ireland.

Policing is the same no matter how it is organised if it organised along egalitarian and acceptable ways.

How do the UK manage with so many constabularies - all with regional controls?

Other European countries have multiple police forces with overlapping jurisdictions. How do they manage?

The culture of the RUC have morphed into the PSNI. Not sure how that is progressing - I do not live there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement