Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭C__MC

Well done lads, some team.

The scoreline in the end probably flattered kerry, Dublin made some bad handling errors late on,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That has to be the sweetest of the lot.

Won't be a cow milked in Islandbridge tonight!

Enjoy your evening lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭JRant

The main thread is a treat. You'd swear Goughy rode Kerry sideways and Fitz had a brutal game on Clifford. Honestly, it's baffling.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Which calls did the ref get wrong? I wouldn't agree with that tbh, a high free count doesn't mean the ref was against you. I thought he was very good.

As for Fitzsimons, stuck to the task well but clifford kicked it away.

Well done to Dublin on the win

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

There where a few messy tackles but other then that everytime someone touched a Kerry player was free. Look it's same everytime they play I wouldn't even single out Cough it's nearly every game there masters of it at this stage.

Got them nothing today ultimately and let's be clear about this for all hype about Clifford going into this game we absolutely played him out the game. Fitzsimmons had seriously good game to limit Clifford to point or two.

Dublin should of pushed on there only for bad forward play and Kerry defending brilliantly. The goal before half time put serious gloss on the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Well I am absolutely thrilled with that thought we might get edged out when Kerry seem to get scores a bit easier and we couldn't get more than one point up .Defence did well overall forward play was only ok for large parts .I have a lot of humble pie to eat over my comments about Dessie as a manager and in fairness thought Colm Basquel did well enough in the second half to warrant his place .Its a fantastic win and it keeps things a little tighter next year as Kerry have a few things to get right themselves .

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Trey13

Great occasion for this Dublin team. Kerry will come back and they’ll be better for it. I think there is more quality than the Mayo teams of the past that we beat. The fact that Kerry have an All Ireland in their pocket will stand to them too as they rehabilitate after this loss today.

So many greats of the game on that Dublin team today. You get the impression that a few of them will hang up the boots. I’d love the three lads go for 10 All Irelands but you can’t blame them if they walk now.

I think there will be a bit of a transition period once the cohort of John Small, McCaffrey, Mannion, Kilkenny, Fenton, Scully, Byrne move on but at their age you’d hope that those lads have a few more seasons in the yet.

Well done to Dessie too after all the flack he had to take. Delighted for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Haven't been here in years but sweet Jesus that was amazing. If you remember Kerry of old you will remember them being the team to dish out the physical stuff.

Well how do you like them apples boys.

Seriously though watching on TV is much more nerve wracking than being there.

Enjoy that feeling my fellow blues.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Agree on Mick Fitz he was immense. Studio might pick Mannion?

Was an odd game no pattern. Kerry’s goal came out of nothing bit of D.Clifford magic to set it up. The Dublin goal came against the run of play as well.

Loads of wides from both sides. But who cares? It is a real bonus Sam

Tear down that monument to Kerryman Daniel O’Connell. Rename the street Cluxton street - statue and all. Coolness personified with those two points scored.

Someone said to me probably was the best Dublin AI win of the last 12 years. Given the context and how Dublin fought for it against a younger team. Hard to disagree.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭billyhead

Does anyone think McCarthy will call it a day? Some warrior and one of the fittest lads in the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

He suggested he'll have to think about it. His body must be in bits but the allure of a 10th AI might sway him. It will be hard to leave as Dublin will be red hot favourites next year.

It was tense stuff but even at 3 points down I thought we’d get it done. We seemed to find the scores easier than Kerry, which was a surprise to me.

I also have to hold my hands up on Dessie. He got the big calls spot on today. Kilkenny was very good and the subs came at the right time. Howard had an immense game and made Kerry work hard for any ball to get into Clifford and Co which made it a little bit easier for the inside backs.

It's not Ken. I had to be practically scraped up off the steps in 305.

I think it was the best one.

2011 was cathartic. But today was special.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

🤣 not for me Bonnie. I've been there since 96' Always took strength in the people around me but the missus is from Wicklow so no help at all.

Enjoy this you beautiful people

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

James ….He’ll be 34 come the next final. By todays standards of fitness, conditioning etc… that’s not ancient.

that said he has been very consistently injury free. Which is a great credit to the manner of which he has looked after himself. However that’s meant he’s played very consistently for club and county because he’s rarely injured… so lots of mileage on the clock…

thought Fitz, Mannion and Fenton were excellent today too. Legend of a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Congrats from a Kerry man.

No complaints. Better team won. Ref was fair so at least no complaints about that. It annoys me when fans only talk about referee decisions after a game. We should be celebrating the players performances.

Dublin's composure and shot selection in final quarter won the game. 7-2 tells the story.

Clifford will hopefully learn to be more patient.

Mannion MOTM for me. He was the best forward on the pitch in my view. A consistent threat the whole game. People said he lost a yard of pace but it didn't look like it when he burned someone down the wing. Often they give it to defenders though so Fitzsimons might get it, although I think it was a team effort nullifying Clifford.

McCaffrey very impressive contribution also. Such a luxury to spring him from the bench. Murchan very lively also. Great pace.

We led twice in 2nd half by 3 points but couldn't hold it so in that sense we blew it. Just need to keep the scoreboard ticking over and see out the game. I felt we lost the head collectively when it mattered. You can't train for that type of pressure and intensity unfortunately.

It you rewatch the Dublin goal, it looks like Shane Ryan would've saved it. He read the trajectory and at a nice height. Small margins.

We're lacking another inside forward also. You can see Dublin were happy for the ball to come down the left wing towards Geaney.

I've a feeling there'll be plenty more epic battles between us. I'm happy for Dessie as he's had a lot of criticism and it takes tremendous courage to follow Jim Gavin.

I've a feeling also the likes of McCarthy, Fitzsimons, Cluxton will go for 10 next year. It's too tempting surely.

Post edited by orangerhyme on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Well, I was fairly wrong about Dessie, I really didn't think he had the tactical ability, but he got almost all the calls right today, so I'll hold my hand up there and say well done, happy to be proven wrong.

Delighted for McCarthy, really wore his heart on his sleeve for his interview.

Thought the interview with Dean Rock was very funny, his little girl only had eyes for the microphone, had to be stopped a fair few times from grabbing it. Even when he lifted the trophy, he almost dropped it because his other kid had a death grip on it.

Definitely a sweet victory, it'll take me a couple of days to process my feelings on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Xander10

Delighted for Dessie. Took a lot of stick on here from the likes of The Gorm Dub.

Success never comes overnight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Congrats boyos. Enjoy the celebrations. Beat us all over the pitch today.

Until next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Gorm dub is a WUM , so I wouldn't even care about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Clifford looked very ordinary today. Mick Fitz was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

well done today lads , mick fitz at 34 gives us all hope yet , himself and paul mannion will be fighting over the man of the match award tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Goodigal

Was a pleasure to be at that game today. Thought it slipped away when we went 3 pts down but my God, what a finish! Mannion was brilliant, Jack started driving at them and they couldn't handle it but what a job Mick Fitz did on Clifford. Looking forward to watching it back! Could have gone either way but DELIGHTED we wrestled it back from them.

Ah, that's not a fair call at all. Gorm gives his honest thoughts, sometimes plays down our chances but he's as far from a WUM as you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

jack was just about to come on for paddy small just before the goal , he was having a mare of a game , finished the game brilliantly though , jack done some damage , was surprised he came on for lee gannon who had a fine game but he changed everything in fairness

I don't know him that well , relatively new to boards, but just from I've seen he seems like a wum. If I'm wrong that's no bother and I apologize. Up the fuckin dubs

They'll probably give it to Clifford for that pass to Ganey.

• Advertisement

He's definitely not a WUM. Gets a bit of the aul Yerra schtick but they give their honest opinions.

Advertisement