Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod control of Tubridy payment Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The radio forum is great when the topics are discussed but it’s an awful place when it’s just spite directed at the presenter.

A really great, and sound, moderator was driven from the site due to trying to stop the abuse and others did step in to “stem” it but if Ryan gets back on air I fear it will just go back to how it was.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 29,365 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Even an excellent referee, judge or mod - lets say one who gets things right X percent of the time ... can sometimes make the wrong call in a small amount of cases Y.

And I think it would a mistake to get into a situation where consideration isnt given to the possibility of Y.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• I never said any mod or admin is incapable of making a mistake or judging a situation badly.

But the fact is this thread is filled with pure ignorance and assertions that beasty is a bias, corrupt awful mod who’s just out to getcha (as most seem to be…)

i’ve made my opinion clear re RT & sinead and discussing his article; I won’t circle the wagon endlessly so I just wanted to say that for all the hardship he gets (undeservedly), I think he’s doing a great job and I would only hope to be half the mod beasty is as I said.

Im sure I am being chalked up to a kiss ass already, I do not care. I’m frankly disturbed at this trend of posters throwing their toys out of the pram in help desk when things don’t go their way.

Whatever happened to the first step in DRP discussing with the mod in question? Have any of you even spoken to beasty and asked him why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

He is simply not approachable and discourages any further discussion once you contact him. Ultra aggressive and dismissive. Posts to DM him with issues but any engagement with him is anxiety inducing and just an unpleasant experience. Someone like RebelGirl15 is the complete opposite- a brilliant understanding mod with a real way of respectful engagement. That’s a mod who should be teaching the rest how to communicate with posters

Post edited by evolvingtipperary101 on

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭thegame983

I've no experience with the Tubridy thread but mods definitely warn/ ban as per their own biases/opinions and certainly not by some kind of charter.

• Advertisement

• No, just again making sure we are all clear I am not a mod here. I do not want anyone to think otherwise that is all.

I said I will no longer engage in a debate on this subject with you & I meant that and will not. Correcting you for saying I’m a mod here is not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It’s not really though, one of the “main players” is even believed to have used that moderator’s real name on that other site to mock them.

Some people take all this online “stuff” way too seriously and if someone were to do that to me you can be sure I’d be shutting up shop immediately.

It’s just an utter shame that it cost the site an excellent moderator and a great person.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

A fair test of the moderation of the thread will be how a threadbanned poster who on this thread insults posters on the Tubridy thread as a cancer or vultures is dealt with.

It will be a pretty damning indictment of moderation and forum charters if there is no appropriate action taken.

• Modding is a difficult task, it’s head wrecking, wouldn’t do it for any amount of money now. Getting constant threats to your well-being just not good for the old mental health. On the other hand I found some users criticised here were very reasonable even if they were hard to argue against because they presented a very rational argument. Even so the old one day or two day bans could allow cooling down time. I believed everyone deserved a voice, but I didn’t lie back and take personal threats, including one pm wishing I would soon be deceased as I hated elderly people. If that person knew the reality of roles I had taken on in life, the sentiment was obscene.

I have done nothing wrong. I’m sticking up for myself and other posters who are being unfairly treated by a mod. It’s all in the original post.

• Advertisement

• This we can definitely agree on.

It speaks to a bigger issue though which is what I’ve mentioned here, which is when posters (not all of course), get told no they become incredibly irate and hostile.

This thread is imo a prime example. The OP has admitted they never even spoke to Beasty, but yet they are running to HD to lambast moderators as if they have a clue.

I cringe when I mod some posters and/or threads because I just know the abuse I’m getting already. But then if we dont we get it from the other side.

You literally can’t win as a mod. Even in this thread, in a forum I’m not a mod, just because I’ve got silver stars I’m getting accused of god knows.

i probably am coming across a bit agitated unintentionally tbh reading back but I just can’t get this constant negativity and vitriol towards an individual who has and continues to do their best to help the site. Without people like Beasty I doubt boards would have survived migration if not before it.

You should know yourself as a former mod how difficult it is recode & the fact you’re jumping in to disparage mods as if they are not almost certainly getting twice the complaints people are bringing RT & sinead into the thread as they are getting now for putting a stop to it is crazy to me.

Moderation is almost always damned if you do and fanned if you don’t. Very rarely are you not going to tick off someone.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

Many posters have had many dealings with Beasty in DM and it’s not something they want to repeat. Very unnerving, anxiety inducing and unpleasant.

you’re still trying to derail the thread with irrelevant nonsense as if mods can do no wrong. This mod has crossed the line with several posters and they’re sick of the treatment. It has to stop.

Posters would have no issue if the mod didn’t take a biased position on issues, censor fair and obvious criticism, remove critical posts of their acts and keep supportive ones, DM aggressively, bully posters into posting in a way that suits them, follow posters onto other threads and remove their posts, and didn’t threaten to remove the thread for no good reason other than the positions of many posters not suiting their own take on events. Something very unseemly and biased taking place. A clear attempt to censor a thread and antagonise posters away from fair and obvious criticisms.

The whole thing is very sad and there’s just no need to treat posters this way. Many mods don’t. Some seem to go out of their way to target posters

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Hi, I put a post on the Rip Sinead thread last night. I was annoyed by Ryan tweet as I found the timing ironic. I said I found it poor form that he was rehabbing himself using a tragedy to deflect from himself. Then I saw this and some other tweets had disappeared . I was intrigued by this. Years ago i was on boards a lot. I’m not as much now. I might read a bit but I don’t engage often. Then I found this feedback thread. What I posted last night was only my opinion. Im not part of a pile on or part of a group to get anyone else. I haven’t read a Ryan thread in years. I rarely listen to radio now so I’ve no interest in him.

but I’m still able to form opinions about things. It’s seems over the top censorship wise to delete posts as was done last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Beasty works hard at a rather unenviable task. The politics forum mods have a similarly unenviable task. On the face of it I would say quite a lot if this is good work.

Re-regs and multiple account users are a pox on the site.

I don't post in CA at all generally. However I am/have been an avid reader of some mammoth threads that take serious modding.

The value of some of the informed opinions on such threads by knowledgeable posters who consolidate news reports and information from across the internet cannot be highlighted and praised enough. Ukraine/Russia thread would be a good recent example of such a thread. The rte one too.

Often I personally disagree with certain mod takes. Fair enough we all disagree in life at times.

However one thing I find unacceptable is threats to close such threads. It is ultimately taking the ball and going home.

+1 to all of that

The trojan work done by mods doesnt mean they are always going to make the right call. Especially if they have an overload of calls to make. The batting average is very good but there are anomalies like this.

And to add:

Threats to close a thread are also an invitation to bad faith actors to deliberately get a thread shut down.

And there has been concerted efforts from such bad faith actors eg trolls and reregs and sock puppets on the Tubridy thread to disrupt it and shut down debate about it on this site already.

Its patently clear there are people who would 'burn' an account to shut down the thread.

There were even DMs sent from a rereg pretending to be a solicitor.

• I think above rereg poster’s aim is solely to have this thread closed asap. The same 3-5 toxic individuals are baiting posters & mods alike and absolutely destroying this site. New regs should have posting restrictions (except in personal issues where a personal crisis may emerge), imo there should be a delay of two days before being allowed to commence posting, then a daily post limit, say for a week, until they prove themselves to be a genuine contributor to conversations.

• Administrators Posts: 13,975 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I'm going to lock this thread for the moment and have a look through to see of it's actually a valid Helpdesk Thread.

----------------------------------

Edit: Thread reopened with over 3 pages of off-topic posts deleted. This is a Feedback thread. Feedback specifically of Boards.ie and moderation.

People's opinions on RTÉ, Ryan Tubridy, NKM, RT's mother, other posters etc are completely and totally irrelevant to this discussion. All off topic posts have been deleted. Some posters have received warnings for off-topic posts. Some posters have received warnings for abusive posts.

The thread will be allowed to remain open if it is an appropriate feedback thread. Feedback offered needs to be civil and constructive. Name calling and childish insults won't really strengthen the argument. We're all adults here*. May I suggest everyone behaves as such

*I assume

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

I think the moderation in general is excellent. It’s a volunteer position, and everybody makes mistakes or has some biases, but overall the team manage to do a fine job. There’s noticeably less of them as well.

To add to that list: treat certain individuals preferentially, allowing them to get away with appalling behaviour. And you're right - the way of speaking to people is shocking. So aggressive.

These objections are NOT simply because they're a mod/admin. I've the height of respect for some mods, e.g. JupiterKid.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

You're only saying that because you get away with blue murder on the thread. You get caught telling bare face lies on a continual basis. I would even suggest you are a compulsive liar with your sole aim being to get people banned. And there is some very dodgy behaviour from your automatic likers. It's as if ye are colluding to bait people. "To be honest" there is no honour in your posting and you come across as (a) bitter and (b) fake. I hope for your sake it's only a Boards persona. I suspect the mods actually see through your duplicitous/dishonest nature but you do just enough to avoid a ban.

Report that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mod Warning: 1 point warning applied for ignoring moderator instuction

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭blackbox

I don't have a problem with Beasty banning the Sinead O'Connor discussion from that thread in order to keep it more focused on the money, but it might have been diplomatic for him to suggest that someone could start a thread called "Ryan Tubridy plays the sympathy card".

Yep some clarity would be welcome.

In the CA Sinead OConnor thread there is discussion about criticism of some of the reactions and interviews such as Bob Geldofs. Not having a go at Sir Bob or the posters. Just pointing out the inconsistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,433 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

There are two posters in particular who are a **** blight on the forums, that was just another thread in a long list of threads that they have destroyed with their re-reg trolling. Everybody knows who they are, nobody understands why they are allowed to peddle their bullshit.

• Just to make the point (as a mod) that re reg detection has become much more difficult on vanilla

admins (or Mike) are very cautious when banning suspected re reg because there is no prison forum (and therefore it’s harder to appeal). So if someone’s banned genuinely unfairly they haven’t any easy recourse to take like before with prison forum.

This is my understanding as far as re reg goes and why they’re more noticeable and it might look like we’re doing nothing. Usually if nothings been done it’s because there’s no links

Indeed, if he was right that’s it’s not related, but that’s just a small part of the problem. And a general symptom of the constant abrasive attitude towards posters.

But shur tis plain as day Alicia Gifted Stick. It has literally been going on for several years.

• I know what you mean but it’s no secret the mod tools ain’t what they used to be (I perish the thought of being a mod pre migration) and I can’t say I disagree for a moment with the admins POV on the matter

if I was the one pulling the trigger on a suspected re reg, knowing they have no easy way to plead their case if I’m wrong I would be very, very careful about doing so

it’s something all of the admins and mods seem to be keenly aware of as well (that is posters are rather fed up of trolls); but as I’ve said 100 times for as many trolls we have there are too many posters getting sucked into the trolling themselves by responding to it.

I know it’s hard to do but I beg you all no matter where you’re posting please if you see someone and you’re convinced they’re a re reg troll, stop, don’t engage & report to the admins via RP function. If you talk to them they will not go away.

If they get attention they’ll keep coming back. Doubly true if they know they’re getting under your skin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Well, my own perfectly reasonable and polite contribution formerly on the first page of this thread has been deleted without explanation.

A baby thrown out with the bath water of the trolls and sock puppets calling people "cancer", "scumbag" and "liar".

Moderation by personal whim rather than charter.

Advertisement