Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The UK system is far from perfect whatever about others.

I think northern citizens (who will have just majority voted for a UI) would welcome a fresh start on policing. The ghosts of the RUC culture would still be hanging around. I think the Garda need. change and reform too.

Too good an opportunity to pass up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

A much younger crowd than an average OO meeting I'd bet, Downcow

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Absolutely. The OO is also an older demographic. I’ll be happy if both the United islanders and the OO die out

I watched my first GAA match (on tv) today, or at least part of it. There clearly is a great love for the sport in Irish communities, but I knew that anyhow. An impressive display by a voluntary outfit. The commentator said jarlath burns was taking over and I googled him. What I found would suggest he can only be good for community relations.

Very differently culturally from football which I’d be used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's just another football code, downcow. Lots of people play both association football and Gaelic football, or they switch between codes.

• Advertisement

i think you are doing it an injustice. I think it is very different from any other football I have ever seen on the pitch and even more different off the pitch. Indeed, I don’t know how you could play on a pitch with a ball and make it any more different in all aspects eg, game, crowd, presentations, commentary, attitude to rules, etc, etc And I didn’t even see what happened at the start with flags etc.

don't hear what I am saying as negative. I think difference great. It would be a shame if ball sports morphed or copy each other.

Well, your impressions are your impressions, but in the Football Universe most people would situate Gaelic football somewhere between Association football and Rugby Union, and very close to Australian Rules football. If you've seen both soccer and rugby there won't be many elements of Gaelic that are completely foreign to you.

Obviously, it's different in some respects from all these codes — it wouldn't be a separate code if it weren't — but it's in no way abnormal as a football code.

In terms of the culture surrounding the game, probably the biggest difference is the one that (I'm guessing) you're not thinking of; Gaelic is an exclusively amateur code. This has a significant effect on player-team and fan-team connections and a situation like you have in soccer where most of the players and most of the fans of (say) Manchester United have no connection at all with the city of Manchester would be unthinkable in Gaelic.

Other differences you may be noting could be not so much a feature of the different codes but — and don't take this the wrong way — a feature of Northern Ireland, where many things that have no such connotations in other places serve as community identifiers in NI. I'm sure you've seen the Derry Girls episode that everyone thinks of in this context. Which code you follow, and in the case of soccer even which team you follow, is up there with where you keep the toaster as a community marker. Which means that other differences between the codes that would be regarded anywhere else as unremarkable become freighted with a significance that, really, they don't intrinsically have.

I also thought there were huge differences in everything surrounding it. And don’t take these the wrong way - they are just cultural differences and everyone is drawn to what works for them:

a huge part of my draw to live football is the crowd atmosphere. I thought it was very impressive to have 80,000 people sellout, that’s up there with the FA cup final - something e.g. Northern Ireland football could only dream about.

This is something e.g. Northern Ireland football could only dream about. The thing that struck me was that the game was in the last minutes and everything to play for for both teams, and you could have heard a pin drop. I guess that is the culture of GAA and how high tension is dealt with. If I had that been e.g. Windsor Park, same situation, the noise in the stadium would have been intense, and with everyone feeling they were the 12th man and crucial to the outcome. It was the 12th man thing that struck me. In football the supporters have a direct impact on the outcome of the result. We definitely influence how the game goes. I did not sense that connection between GAA supporters and the team. But clearly there is a different type of deep connection - it’s just different and the role is different.

I also found the speeches very strange. Again, it felt like small community, even naming names of people. When we win something big at football, everyone is overtaken with euphoric celebration. And there would certainly be no space or attention given to speeches.

I also find the casual approach to rules in the commentary box very interesting. And again that is not bad it’s just different. Even Magee heart saying that that is just GAA it’s full of anomalies.

You may recall that there were planned sometime ago, that rugby, football and GAA which share a stadium in Northern Ireland. The vast majority of Northern Ireland football supporters were heavily opposed to the idea. I think some GAA circles misunderstood us and thought it was because we did not want to share with GAA. There were too big reasons. 1) We wanted a city centre location because the buildup to the game is crucial and starts at lunchtime for an evening kick-off. 2) the size of the pitch - the best football grounds in the country, and indeed all the purpose-built ones, have the fans as close as possible to the pitch to enhance the atmosphere. If you were to draw a football pitch in the middle of a GAA ground, it would be dire - the one concern I would have about the use of casement for games.

Everything I saw yesterday reinforced for me, that Northern Ireland football fans got it 100% right in the campaign to have a dedicated football pitch - we would have been happy to share with rugby.

Anyhow, I could go on with lots of differences, but I’m sure GAA is rightly proud of putting on such a day. I would think most looking on from UK will think that’s nice and I’m glad I seen it.

In sports-mad Australia the different football codes tend to have their own stadiums for precisely that reason - they want stadiums that are appropriate to the size and shape of the field of play. Plus, the codes that typically attract smaller crowds don't want their supporters rattling around in half-empty stadiums.

The flip side of this is that, for a really big game, such as an international, they need to move to in a larger stadium in order to accommodate the numbers that want to see the game. I have attended an international rugby game played at an Aussie rules oval and, yeah, it felt like somebody had marked out a tennis court in the middle of a field. A rugby pitch is only 70m wide; the playing surface of the oval was 120m wide. And on length the disparity was even greater; a 100m pitch marked out in a playing surface 175m from end to end. Even though the stadium was pretty full, it definitely affected the atmosphere.

Wembley had to compromise too for the greater good and lost out a bit on atmosphere apparently. Doesn't seem to stop people going to big games.

Haven't heard anyone describe the experience there as 'dire'.

Compromises have to be made to get the tournament.

This is soccer in Croke Park BTW

Which is not that much different to Wembley TBH

• Advertisement

Yeah Wembley has the same problem though to a much less effect than in a GAA stadium. I hope they think it through in the new casement and at least keep the people as close as possible to the GAA pitch and therefore it won’t have quite as big an impact on football.

I can certainly see Windsor being perfect for most football games but then if we are playing the likes of england I’d like to see consideration given to it being in casement.

im not sure how that would be viewed by the immediate locals as football crowd is different from a GAA crowd

Why would a GAA crowd be going to a NI v England game?

Sorry I read that wrong.

You are saying the locals will object to soccer being played in Casement because a soccer crowd is different to a GAA crowd.

Have the 'locals' expressed this anywhere?

You’re being a little antagonistic. I said no such thing. I said “im not sure how that would be viewed by the immediate locals as football crowd is different from a GAA crowd”

I know one of the key objectors to the stadium and I know a big concern was concert crowds. Football crowds are possibly and even bigger challenge. Just raising what I think is the realistic possibility that the residents will oppose large football crowds.

GAA is 'football'.

So 'one objector' might not like crowds...most stadiums in residential areas would have that problem to deal with.

I presume you mean 'soccer' crowds are 'different' to GAA crowds. How so?

Would you expect the English crowd to mis-behave en-masse as they have done around the world?

I'm sure most police forces would be prepared for that.

Another desperately prejudiced statement. English fans have never behaved badly en masse.

indeed they are some of the friendliest fans come to Belfast, both in the bats and around the stadium. They were also great at the euros any time I encountered them.

your hatred for all things English cannot be hidden.

You’re trying to drag this down.

I ‘THINK’ GAA crowds are a bit different from football crowds. For example wherever ni fans go we are facilitated by locals to walk en masse to the ground. Many big clubs do this as well. So if the game is in casement, the day will be spent at pubs in the town centre. Then an hour or so before kickoff a few drummers will appear and thousands will walk behind them as they snake past the pubs. It will be a very noisy singing colourful procession. I would imagine, to lower any tension, that ‘parade’ will not travel through west Belfast but will make its way down Lisburn road and up stockmans lane. It will then need to emerge unto Andersonstown Road and down to the stadium. It will be an interesting experiment and give give a flavour of how accepted OWC identity would be in a Ui. I think there is a very good chance it would pass off without incident.

in contrast I don’t think GAA crowds do this mass walk with singing and flag waving.

Avoiding nationalist areas sounds like it's very much the Unionist/Loyalist part of the crowd, thing to do.

Why would it 'raise tensions' where nationalists live otherwise?

Are these notified parades?

I know the majority are fine people and I have no issue with them but it is 'En Masse' enough to be known all over Europe for their behaviour. Special policing arrangements when they come to venues etc.

It is you that is speculating about potential problems when they play NI, not me. I am just trying to figure out what you are talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

You obviously are ignorant of the Ireland vs England match where the English 'fans' broke up the Lansdown stadium after Ireland took the lead. The match was called off, much to the disgust of the Irish manager, Jack Charlton.

So, of course, they only started to break up the seats and hurl it on those lower down the stadium.

Appalling behaviour. It is well recognised to be the hallmark of English and Dutch supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭moon2

Probably worth adding a few links covering football hooliganism for clarity:

There are records of football hooliganism in the UK from the 1880s, and from no later than the 1960s the UK had a worldwide reputation for it – the phenomenon was often dubbed the English Disease

There's also the most recent serious event, which warranted sanctions: https://www.tntsports.co.uk/football/euro-2020/2021/football-news-england-fans-face-wembley-stadium-ban-after-crowd-trouble-at-euro-2020-final_sto8590834/story.shtml

The stadium ban means there will be no fans at England's opening game of their 2022-23 Nations League campaign.

Most instances of hooliganism don't result in sanctions, so this was definitely worse than the usual hooliganism.

Not to be ignored either.

Combat One-Eight named after the first and eighth letters of the alphabet - A for Adolph, H for Hitler. 

Nice people. I wonder is this why 'nationalist areas' are avoided?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

They were absolute scum when they wrecked the landsdown road stadium and a lot òf history of causing similar trouble at major tournaments

Guys your hatred of England is like a fuse waiting to go off. Absolute nonsense to suggest there is a problem with the majority of England fans. Of course they have a huge fan base and there is a small element that are a problem. But I am not and was not defending combat 18 etc. my experience of England fans has been great and there is zero segregation in pubs etc when they come to Belfast.

So why would there be a problem with a n NI v England game?

What were you getting at.

Nobody said anything about ‘majorities’ either. Stop twisting to deflect

Francie you are playing your games again. Firstly I could say I never mentioned nationalist areas.

It is Northern Ireland and obviously it is a northern Irish crowd and dressed in green. I think a nothern Irish crowd singing and waving a northern Irish flag would not be very welcome via the other arterial route down the falls. But thats just because i perceive that area as not being very open to diversity. I could be wrong and they could be like every other road we walk down in Europe where the locals are out shaking hands, applauding and taking selfies.

I think if it is a common occurrence then the residents around casement may come to enjoy the colour and the crack and join in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Walking down the Andytown Road with drummers, Union flags and undoubtedly a minority engaging in songs they shouldn't is about as representative of how attitudes to your culture will be in a United Ireland as a crowd of Shinners wrapped in tricolours and singing Wolfe Tones songs on a dander down the Shankhill or Newtownards Road is representative of how attitudes to Irish culture are in your Union, Downcow.

‘Not open to diversity’?

Heard it all now. They weren’t associated with neo Nazis by the Belfast Tele.

Of supporters behave themselves they won’t have to avoid any areas

• Advertisement

union flags are now rare at ni games and dodgy songs are not sung. Many years ago we had the ‘sea of green’ initiative which transformed the image. The drums have nothing on them and it green shirts with mainly green flags and some ulster flags. Of course francie will now scour the internet for incidents that contradict what I am saying.

bottom line is you will never see eg a rangers top at an ni game while roi games are awash with Celtic tops. We have moved on and are welcome everywhere in Europe so hopefully andytown as well.

how are you saying a hand in casement should be approached. Should the locals be able to decide who goes to the ground?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement