Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Wasn’t rowntree that didn’t want Ben ….opposite is the case …..can’t say I agree with that synopsis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I'm sure Rowntree wanted him to stay but equally when Healy made the move, he was firmly third choice for Munster.

Can't blame the guy for taking a chance at first team club rugby and a shot at test caps. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,316 ✭✭✭✭phog

Ben only became 3rd choice once it was obvious to Munster that they wouldn't have him next season, of course, almost immediately Joey took some sort of sabbatical and Ben got back into the matchday squads and proved his worth.

As I said earlier, it's a real shame we've lost him.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Prove Rowntree wrong???

Ben was offered an extension. He wanted to play international rugby and Farrell was not interested. Thats why he left

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭50HX

He's 24, he either thinks Farrell will be there post 2025 contract or he doesn't back himself to get ahead of lads in front of him.

Farrell goes, crowley or prendergast don't crack byrne dominance, a new coach might favour his style...its life

He made is bed in Scotland I hope it works for him

• Advertisement

Yes.

Rowntree had Healy as his clear third choice out half. Healy chose not to take up the offer of a renewal as Munster third choice to give himself a chance to be Edinburgh first choice, with a bunch of nobodies as competition.

He'd have been mad not to grab it.

Rowntree made his choice. If it turns out to be wrong, he'll have to carry the can for it. I think he got it right tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,316 ✭✭✭✭phog

There's nothing to suggest Farrell goes anywhere in the short vto medium term.

There's no player going to sit around for a few years to see what happens.

Healy already turned down longer contracts with Munster while he waited to see what would happen with Ireland, the EI tour probably put the nail in the coffin as far his international options with Ireland were concerned.

He got an offer from Scotland, mulled it over and took it.

It's rewriting history to try and claim he left Munster because he was 3rd choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Healy clearly went to Scotland to play international rugby. Farrell, unless he chooses to leave after the RWC is going nowhere so Healy went for guaranteed international caps over getting into a queue behind the likes of Frawley and Prendergast, neither of whom have done anything to earn their positions ahead of him.

Everyone knows this is why he left. It was the right call for him personally but Ireland and Munster are both weaker without him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Complete and utter rubbish. If Rowntree decided he was third choice at the start of the season, he wouldn't have started the first 4 games when Crowley and then Carbery were available. He was also on the bench for Leinster in the Aviva.

He'd previously twice turned down long term deals in favour 1 year deals after Scotland first came calling. He left to play international rugby. It's no coincidence that he signed the deal in Scotland shortly after talking to Farrell.

Rowntree won't be carrying any can in the future.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

“Byrne dominance” is a, eh, interesting way of phrasing things for a guy who has all of 2 starts and 359 minutes over Farrell’s 3 and a half seasons…

• Advertisement

This is just silly. Playing international rugby was a way bigger draw for Healy than anything to do with him being 1st choice for Edinburgh.

Evidenced by the fact he was immediately called into the Scotland 6 Nations squad after it was announced he was leaving, and made his debut while still at Munster (which, iirc at the time, I think you suggested you didn’t think this was likely?)

As for this:

Rowntree made his choice. If it turns out to be wrong, he'll have to carry the can for it. I think he got it right tbh.

You think Rowntree got it right but you’ll be happy to retrospectively, after-the-fact blame him for getting it wrong? Right…

It's not rubbish, it's objective fact. The start of the season was a mess with the Emerging tour and then both Crowley and Carbery being in the senior squad. Yeah Healy benched in the Aviva, but was that because he was second choice or because Crowley was starting that game at full back?

By the time Europe rolled around in December, the pecking order was very clear and Healy was very clearly third choice. Then he signed with Edinburgh. The behind the scenes discussions and motivations are all speculation.

That's exactly my point. He made the call that he thought was best for Munster, Healy had bigger ambitions and fair play to him, he took his chance. This is how professional sport works.

But by the same token, if Rowntree isn't carrying any can, why should Farrell?

To be fair, you’ve gone from this:

Rowntree made his choice. If it turns out to be wrong, he'll have to carry the can for it.

to quoting this

and then concluding;

That's exactly my point.

That seems like a complete about-face. How else were posters supposed to interpret the first quote?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

While I think it's clearly true that Healy left to play international rugby I don't think there is much to suggest Munster coaches thought significantly more highly of Healy than Ireland ones.

Rubbish …..Ben was rated a lot higher within Munster …..he wanted a shot at international rugby ….powers that be higher up in Irfu didn’t give him any indication he was on the radar ultimately that and his ambition to test himself at top level influenced his decision to to to Edinburgh and Scotland

He was 2nd choice for the run-in, and pivotal during it, even tho he was leaving, when other coaches may have picked the guy with more experience who was staying.

I think it’s entirely fair to say the Munster coaches thought highly of him.

To the point that they offered him a contract. Farrell didn’t offer him a sniff.

Ben was rated a lot higher within Munster 

He was rated third of three. Now, JVG seemed to have more time for him than Rowntree (but still a distant second to Carbery) so maybe it's just something about his style that Rowntree didn't fancy, I don't know. He got a nice run at the end of the season, but only after Carbery fell off a cliff.

I genuinely don't see why people think this guy was hard done by in not getting Ireland call-ups.

The Munster coaches, more than any other, have shown they’ll pick on form. That’s exactly what happened on the run-in, when he was 2nd choice.

In any case, we know being 3rd choice for your province doesn’t preclude you from Ireland selection. Evidenced by Harry Byrne and even 4th choice Frawley.

Even Jake Flannery got a start at 10 during the EI tour.

I could understand if Healy felt hard done by.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Can I ask what the relevance is in discussing the run-in when it happened after Healys decision to leave? It seemed to me, from the outside looking in, that Healy had been 2nd choice but the rise of Crowleys star very genuinely threatened that standing. He was looking down the barrel of being 3rd choice for Munster and not having any shot with Ireland (and his lack of selection for the EI tour and Nov games wasn’t really a discussion point at the time which absolutely suggests he wasn’t close to Test level). Once he made the call to leave his confidence/form took an upward swing. But everything from there on is irrelevant because the decision was made and contracts signed. There’s feck all point in saying “he was great in April and we should have kept him” when the decisions were all made back in December.

Oh and Munster tried to keep him on an extended deal. That makes it pretty clear that he moved for international honours and that Rowntree wanted him to stay, so I don’t see how Rowntree could be said to have made any other decision beyond wanting him to stay.

I don't think them offering him a contract is all that relevant. Of course they'd like to keep a decent backup 10.

But he was variously behind Carbery and Crowley at Munster also. If he was really that much of a loss and should have been in Irish squads he should probably have been starting ahead of the third choice Irish 10? This isn't some unfairly overlooked player who one man has maligned. Munster clearly rate him about the same level.

• Advertisement

Put it another way - Had HB not been getting into Ireland squads and decided to leave Leinster despite a contract offer I would think that's probably a fair enough call and just one of those things. Now, I get why him being rated behind HB is annoying (I think its fairly marginal myself, and HB is absolutely benefitting from a perceived higher ceiling). Clearly also, neither of them have much of an international future for Ireland. Even if Healy got in the squad, does anyone really think he would be there for long or ever seriously threaten to be a starter?

People are focusing on the 3rd choice element, but if Healy had stayed, post-Sexton, Munster would have been the most well stocked Province at 10, imo. And Provincial pecking order hasn’t really mattered with regards Ireland selection.

And like I said, when Frawley and even Jake Flannery were getting more of a look in than you, I think he may have reason to feel hard done by. Especially when we know time in camp matters, often more than provincial performance.

(Admittedly, Flannery was very likely because they didn’t want to completely entirely hamstring the Provinces. But then we still had posters suggesting the EI tour made no difference to the provinces …)

Tbh, I think Healy has a higher ceiling than RB. He’s certainly got a better pass, imo.

Equally, I think it very unfair to suggest he wasn’t highly thought of at Munster. Would anyone suggest Harry Byrne isn’t highly thought of by the Leinster coaches despite being 3rd choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I don’t believe there were any mistakes made by anyone here. Let’s look at the decisions (factoring in the relevant timeline). All in all it seems quite reasonable from all parties. It’s unfortunate for Munster, but that’s just how these things shake up sometimes.

Andy Farrell

In October Farrell named his squad for the November internationals. He named Carbery and Crowley but not Healy. There was very little objection to that at the time. Healy had been a decent 10 without being a particularly good one and didn’t show any signs of having a higher ceiling in the same way that Crowley looked to have. It’s hard to say that Farrell made any kind of an error of judgement here at all. And any decisions he made thereafter are irrelevant as Healy signed for Edinburgh before the 6Ns squad was announced.

Graham Rowntree

Rowntree looked to offer Healy an extended contract in an effort to retain the 10. He obviously saw enough in him to push for stronger contract terms rather than let him go. This means he must have seen something in him to warrant the stronger terms, and that bore out in the second half of the season. So it’s hard to say Rowntree made any errors in judgement there either. In the end his decision seemed to have no bearing on what happened at all (that said we don’t know what conversations were being had in the background re Healys position in the squad).

Ben Healy

Healy started the season as 2nd choice 10 behind Irelands number 2. By November he had seen Crowleys star rise quickly and significantly. He was arguably still 2nd choice at the time (Crowley was playing a lot of his rugby at 12 and 15, but whether that was because he was seen as 3rd choice 10 or because they were looking to develop him/get their best players on the pitch is something we simply don’t know) but, from his perspective, Healy was fighting what was likely a losing battle for that 2nd choice spot. He could either go to Scotland and be first choice for a club there while being in a strong position to feature in the RWC or stay in Ireland and fight a possible losing battle for 2nd choice at his province and not get a look in for the RWC. It seems a fairly obvious choice really. Nobody can blame him for making it and it looks to be working out for him, so fair play.

Was third choice after he made decision to go …..his form dictated he moved up pecking order due to joeys form and was vying with Crowley for the 10 jersey but in fairness to Crowley he has made the jersey his own

he was hard done by when u see some of the other 10s that got a shot

I don't think them offering him a contract is all that relevant. Of course they'd like to keep a decent backup 10.

Of course they would have wanted him to stay. Munster now have only two senior out halves, one of whom is in the Ireland squad and the other presumably still hopes to get back there too. Regardless of the pecking order, Healy's departure leaves them in a bind they would have liked to have avoided. He's a loss to Munster, for sure, but not to Ireland (based on what we've seen so far).

Ultimately, a guaranteed spot in the first team at Edinburgh and very few credible rivals for Scotland, that's something Munster could never match. It's just one of those things and trying to find ways to blame IRFU is a bit pointless really.

But then we still had posters suggesting the EI tour made no difference to the provinces

Interestingly on this, of the 10 Munster players who went on the EI tour, 6 of them started the final and 3 were on the bench. Ahern, the other player, being a long-term casualty.

I didn’t at all agree with this line of argument at the time, but it seems genuinely silly in retrospect.

I never said he wasn't highly thought of, but clearly several other players were more highly thought of at various points in time. Crowley got a look in ahead of Healy because a couple of coaches thought he was the better bet, and by all accounts they appear to have been correct. I would also be annoyed if HB was leaving Leinster as it would leave us light on options.

Yes, Healy was overlooked for Ireland, but he also clearly missed his chance to be a frontline player at Munster, and when the first choice player was struggling was leapfrogged by Crowley. There is no guarantee he would have been happy riding pine for Munster forever either.

I still don't like the concept, at all, and was unhappy with the disrespect shown to the URC. But it certainly has been far more successful than I anticipated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

There was plenty of talk of it amongst munster supporters. Maby not from the media that obsessed over harty byrne and now sam prendergast but plenty of munster fans thought he should be our no.1 2 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Like who's the last irish 10 with 40 caps including champions cup games as a 22 year old whos sunk kicks to win games from 20 that was not even within an arses roar of the irish squad.

Advertisement