Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Sailed up to Bray for the airshow. Bits of rain on and off. Was expecting/prepared for worse!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This has been discussed so many times over the summer. Western coastal counties got 5 weeks of summer from mid May to 3th week of June, 5 weeks of temperatures in the 20 to 25c range and mostly unbroken sunshine. Leinster and eastern coastal counties especially had the 2 weeks of sunshine second half of May but it was much cooler than the west, temperatures generally mid teens for the most part apart from a few isolated days where it got above 18c. A nagging easterly wind persisted all through the second half of May and into the first week of June. The first week of June was mostly cool, windy and cloudy in the east while the west was still close to mid 20s and unbroken sunshine. I think we had 1 warm day that first week of June when the sun finally managed to come out behind the clouds.

Weeks 2 and 3 of June was the only real summery weather we had in the east with warm temperatures finally and sunshine most days. From what I remember there were 2 crap days contained within this 2 week spell when the weather tried to break down and we had rain. The end of week 3 of June is when the spell broke down and we entered a very unsettled regime final 10 days of June which was a sign of things to come for July.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

This summer is depressing. Started my 2 weeks off and wish I had gone abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Great post Gonzo above and you are spot on in your summary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Was dry for the first half but turned wet for the second half. Far from a washout though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭glightning

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I run a classic car in the summer for the last 10 odd years and I don't remember a July as bad as this is all that time. Apart from the odd window of a fine weekday evening here and there, I haven't managed to get the car out since I put it on the road on July 1st. Every Sunday seems to be a washout.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭glightning

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

First week of June was cloudy alright.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Certainly wasn't like that in Meath week 1 of June, we had some sun but not much, nothing like the last 2 weeks of May. Perhaps coastal areas faired better with the sunshine but further inland we were under cloud much of the time and it felt chilly. Maybe I got particularly unlucky first week of June with the cloud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

As to this, Magic Midget already pretty much summed it up but July 1994 would be described as very poor. England had a hot month with a lot of southerly influence whilst Ireland was too far west and under the Atlantic low (shock).

July 1992 was a transition to wetter conditions after a very warm May and June culminating in a cold, very wet August.

July 1993 was just cool, cloudy and unsettled. A cold front sank south on the 8th and ushered in continuous colder than average conditions pretty much for the next 5 months.

This July is much much wetter than all of those but not as cool as 1993.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Weather BOFH

I think maybe you did get a bit unlucky in Meath, here in Kildare the entire first week of June was sunny and warm with highs of 23-25C most days, last week in May was similar with highs of 21-24C most days.

Just to highlight the week one of June temperature differences, here we see a high of 15c for much of Meath, Dublin and Wicklow. 22 to 25c in the west.

Day 2 similar to day 1, the SE parts only reached 13c.

Day 3 we did better, must have been one of the sunnier days with 16 to 20c.

Day 4. a touch warmer again, up to around 18c.

Day 5, again not too bad for temperatures but still a fairly big difference between east and west.

Day 6 and back to chilly conditions for the east, low to mid teens.

Day 7 was very chilly indeed. The easterly wind penetrated well inland and affected temperatures almost everywhere.

Into the start of the second week of June and we were still cool around 15c.

It wasn't until June 11th that temperatures got above 20c widespread throughout the country. From June 20th temperatures were back to about average and the unsettled weather began, we did have a few warm days end of June but it was mostly unsettled.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

June in Sligo had more than 20 days over 20c and most days were 22 or 23c . There was little or no rain the first 20 days.it got gradually wetter as the month progressed but still sunny and 22c most days.

It was also the warmest June on record in the West and Northwest so you can't say it was any ways bad at all. Nothing July and August can do can really make Summer 2023 be a write off in the West coz 30 percent of it was glorious.

Though July and August will both have been washout by the end. Atlantic so straight down dominant now. Very hard to shift that pattern for weeks. Next 3 weeks at least look completely unsettled with showers or rain every day.

However most of NW was promised 60mm this weekend. In fact there was about 15 to 20mm at most if you include Friday so at least most of it didn't materialise.

E.g Saturday Forecast 16mm Actual 3mm

Sunday Forecast 44mm Actual 9.5mm

I guess we're more sheltered from the effects of an easterly in Kildare with the Wicklow Mountains and my site is fairly sheltered itself with high hedges all around, but here's my max temp data from the first two weeks of June:

Wicklow mountains to your east could have played a major role in limiting the chilly breeze effect, perhaps your also located well inland more towards the Offally/Laois side of Kildare?

Just looked back at the June data for my location and had 17 days over 20C with most of those days 20 to 23c and 2 of them being 24c which is the max for this year in this area unless we beat this second half of August or early in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Mace Head in Galway is normally a consistently wet place but it has fared better than usual in terms of rain for the year.

Jan 108.9 (138.6)

Feb 35.2 (98.0)

March 151.2 (106.4)

April 66.3 (76.6)

May 30.6 (81.7)

June 56.1 (82.4)

July 98 (84.3)

It has only exceeded the long term average twice this year and it was dramatically under the LTA for 3 of those months.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Significant rise in the Shannon over the past 2 weeks. Not at median flood levels yet but making progress (less than a metre to go at Athlone)

Realtime waterlevel

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

We'd be about 50km from the coast in South Kildare, it was noticeably cooler in Dublin the few days I was there during June and would often hit cloudier conditions heading up the N7 while there was unbroken sunshine back at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There was a day of events locally to raise money for the RNLI.

First 2 events before lunch went ahead fine, in dry weather.

3rd at 5pm was in heavy drizzle.

4th at 7pm was cancelled due to the weather.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Bringing back great memories of the weather we got in Kerry !

18th May

26th May

27th May

29th May

2nd June

Was in Germany for about a week after that with great weather and returned to more fine weather

7th June

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

So dreary here in the south east this morning. But I’m hopeful for august.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Pissing rain again this morning in the midlands. Ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Hopeful how? I know they're not that reliable but BBC long range has nothing but rain and dreariness till as far as the 13th

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭alentejo

Dark and gray in Dublin - More like november.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Dreading having to go back to Ireland 😩

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

First cycle to work after hols and drowned again. Ugh. I really need to emigrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

Had a few days booked for break in Ireland this weekend into next week but with lots of small kids I just cancelled it, no point. Hoping that spike in temps that is being forecasted happens before they go back to school. A bummer of a summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

I think the models are looking less dismal from next week - not heatwave territory but better than July.

Advertisement