Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

This is the biggest advantage if you ask me.

Macroom now has the potential to become what middleton has become. An attractive place to live and raise a family with good infrastructure links to Cork and Kerry.

If you were working for DellEMC it would be a place to consider if you were looking at buying.

With plenty of land around it there should be great growth in the years to come

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭niloc1951

It's a pity they pulled up the railway line from the town to Cork which served Ballincollig and Bishipstoen/Wilton, two heavily populated areas, along the way.

Midleton - Cork is just a 22 minute journey now, with three stops along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭mcburns07

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Torrey

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭kub

This is a joke at this stage, if this is successful, then I hope these temporary openings become a thing of the past.

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/cork/news/petition-launched-to-retain-n22-bypass-temporary-roundabout/a919793106.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

The original plan might have included a slip road access at Carrigaphuca, but it would only ever have been a limited access juction given the space available, and in any case that option did not carry through to the final design that got planning permission, so it cannot just be built now.

The current roundabout is probably there under a temporary exemption: anything permanent would have to go through the normal planning process, and the only option would be a new juction: there's no way in hell that such a dangerous interchange as that roundabout would be allowed to remain in place once there's East-West traffic using the mainline.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

All of this fussing and petitioning will end once the roundabout is removed and everyone gets used to the new layout.

This was always going to happen and if you remember on the M8 at Cullahill the same bleating happened when that temporary terminus was removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

It could take years to get this through planning. That roundabout has to be removed or it would breach planning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Agreed about removing the roundabout.

But looking at a map, there's a strong argument for a half junction there, with east-facing sliproads to allow old road-Bypass East and Bypass West-Old road.

It should be progressed as a separate project.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I remember that actually! I thought though the residents of Johnstown had some merit in their argument as they had gotten used to much less HGV through their village and all of a sudden they re-appeared again which they hadn’t expected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭alias no.9

HGVs through Johnstown was about tolls and not junctions.

At most a small amount of local traffic will be affected by this. The councillor in question has to drag Castletown Bere into the argument to find an origin for the traffic. Even if that traffic from the Beara peninsula was determined to enter cork from the N22, which route do you think they'd take?

Don't tell people about the "secret" route through Crookstown and the Cousane Gap 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

Judging by the amount of fish lorries that run through bandon and crookstown I’d say he’s well off.

The turn at Millstreet road is tricky but with a serious reduction in traffic volume using it I don’t think it will be an issue.

to be honest outside of peak times the bypass is quiet enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Almost anyone heading to Glengarriff not using the Cousane and choosing to go via Ballingeary is - in a word - lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭webels

Excellent. So basically westbound through Macroom and eastbound through Millstreet Junction for a week. Should be fine.

I'll never have to drive the crappy bit again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Interesting. They mention traffic signal control at Tonn Lain. Temporary traffic lights? It will be a bit messy with traffic heading west having to turn right onto the L3409 and having to yield to traffic passing to head east a few metres up the road

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ClmAlfie

No he doesn't but he does have a cousin with the same name who is a councillor and is also a Fine Gael. He's from Carrigaphooka and has lands

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ADKELMAC

Slip roads for access at Carrigaphooca junction.

Is it too late for all this?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/978212355680368/permalink/2523040721197516/

• Advertisement

Carrigaphooca Junction

Has anyone a copy of the Carrigaphooca junction design with slip roads included?

That’s a post in a private Facebook group - you have to be a member to see the post. It’s generally bad form to quote posts from private groups on public forums like Boards, but I’m guessing it’s a repost of the petition from this article: https://m.independent.ie/regionals/cork/news/petition-launched-to-retain-n22-bypass-temporary-roundabout/a919793106.html

So, to answer your question: Yes, it is too late for all this, and to be honest, there’s nearly zero need for it.

If there was a magic way to do last-minute fixes without having to go through planning, then upgrading the Millstreet Road junction to a full dumb-bell to better facilitate Cork-to-Millstreet HGV movements would be my priority, not adding a junction in the middle of nowhere.

The Facebook post is from Michael Creed TDs Facebook page, whereby he is looking for an update on access at Carrigaphooca since he last brought it up in the Dail 8 months ago. Available to all.

The link you posted is private. Here’s what I assume is the same thing, but from Michael Creed’s page: https://fb.watch/ma1z-9X7VK/

Parish-pump politicking, nothing new... During the design phase for this project there was found to be no justification for another junction between Millstreet Rd and Tonn Láin.

Regarding the list of places he was claiming this junction would help... nobody in their right mind would use this road to get to the Beara peninsula. It's so far out of the way, it's ridiculous.

Has anyone a copy of the Carrigaphooca junction design with slip roads included?

Why would such a thing exist? The decision to not provide a junction here was made very early in the project, long before those final drawings were made.

Look at other projects that are not yet at final design: all that’s defined is the corridor, and the potential locations of junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭serfboard

By Friday week this will be all academic. The junction will be gone and that will be it. It was right to put in the temporary roundabout and it is now right to remove it. I could be wrong, but I suspect myself that the local TD knows this and is doing a "I tried my best" job on it.

I d imagine that Access at Carrigaphooca is important to people & businesses in the Cill na Matra area. If heavy haulage to and from this area can’t bypass Macroom properly then the residents on the western side of Macroom town and Millstreet rd will be fed up aswell.

The cost of CGSJ here couldn’t be that much extra on top of what’s already been done? Surely.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Putting in a junction on the road to Cill na Martra near the Mons Bar would be an easier proposal.

I can't see anything happening though,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭serfboard

There is no plan, no budget and therefore no intention to put a junction at Carrigaphooca. Why? Because there is no need. The tiny amount of traffic involved can go through the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

One would really need to believe in the tooth fairy to; -

(a) give credence to the notion that the current mini terminal transient roundabout could be retained as an in line dual carriageway feature.

(b) advocate that a few slip roads could be sorted quickly & cheaply as if complex planning & construction issues are not involved.

Local politicians going a bit of the road with every half-wit fad may be a vote getter - sadly it says as much (if not more) about the electorate, as it does about the representatives.

All that said €5 euro appears under my grandkids pillow in exchange for a tooth! Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps!

• Advertisement

Everything you’ve all replied with makes perfect logical sense. The interesting thing is the temporary roundabout at Carrigaphooca ( it could only have been temporary, I think everyone realises this) was built without planning or budget….. magic. A bit like the tooth fairy

Advertisement