Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the banks robbing savers?

Options

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Fox Tail

More houses needed, yes.

I think the impact of the eviction ban hasnt evolved just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Had to be done :-)

We are constantly been told of the impending doom and that is why we can't implement any change in Ireland. Sorry I don't buy it. It's because we didn't make changes post crash that we have issues now.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭pat_sconce

Fintechs will never get a hold on the mortgage market as they use investment to fund lending.

Investors will always want more than ECB, so it won't happen.

Look at dillosk/ics - a non bank lender and currently the most expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

But if it is a sterling account you need to keep an eye on their inflation. Even if a bank pays the same interest rate as it`s central bank overseer, you are losing if inflation is higher.

KBC and Ulster made their decision to pull out when central bank interest rates were negative.

• Advertisement

One argument against gold is it doesn`t pay interest but in an environment where the interest paid is always less than inflation, holding gold makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Only if gold appreciates faster than inflation.

Which, historically, most of the time, it doesn't. It has long periods of price deflation (in real terms) interspersed with shorter periods of very rapid price inflation.

In the long term, a buy-and-hold strategy for gold will usually deliver better returns than cash or bank deposits, but a worse return than real assets (land, equities). Over the shorter term, gold can be quite volatile; you can do well if you time your sales and purchases correctly; time them badly and you can do . . . well, badly.

Yes but why should people who are prepared an able to pay a mortgage in an unrigged housing market be the ones to couch surf. Evict all defaulters pronto and let`s see house prices crash to their true level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

We won't even see the needle change unless there are 50k plus defaulters (bear in mind these defaulters need somewhere to rent too, which is non-existent)

TheJournal did a story yesterday that shows the country needs 180,000 homes to meet demand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

BOI made 1 Billion profit last year... That fuels their bonuses, dividends & pay increases... Why don't they pass on the interest rate benefits? I think we know the answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Gold is a terrible investment bar the speculator is lucky with their timing

Ireland isn’t a normal banking country, you can’t evict rogue mortgage holders so the only option is to stiff both borrowers and savers

we get the government we deserve and the interest rates we deserve

I think you'll find that the banks did all that... The government do not interfere with banking and have no control over the central bank... greed by the banks is a consequence of greedy individuals... I'm not defending our govenment but you need to focus your anger rationally and not follow the propoganda campaign. I hate the way the country is being run but the bankers are not victims here...

I get your point but the govt know there is nowhere to move the non payers to. They could end up on the street so its a last resort to move them out.

If the govt had more social housing available, they would probably be a little stricter with non payers.

it is unfair on everyone else though as it makes mortgages more expensive for those that have planned properly.

The governement don't decide who to evict... the banks manage that process, under the guidance of the central bank and as part of the judicial system which is independent of the goverment. The law of the land informs them how to judge cases.

An ounce of gold was used to buy a suit of armour 3000 years ago in ancient Egypt. Today, an ounce of gold will buy a very good suit. Gold holds it`s value over time. Thousands of paper currencies have failed down through history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

The law has been set up by successive governments to bias keeping people in their properties, even if they haven't paid anything in years. These are political decisions. It is easier to make sure there are no dramatic sob stories in the press which are very noticeable. What is less noticeable is the high cost we all pay to pay for this system of basically "unsecured home loans" that we have in Ireland. It must be a unique system.

We have calls now for people on trackers to be subsidised as the rate they wanted to track has gone up, it is doing exactly what they wanted. The rate was on the floor for years, with those lucky enough to have a tracker paying very low rates for a decade or so. Only in Ireland would you have calls for the government to help in a situation like that.

Irish banks can take our deposits, pay low interest rates and deposit the money at the ECB earning the deposit rate (3.75%). Unless there is competition they will keep the low rates. I am thinking of using raisin.ie to open an account in one of the other EU countries where you can get 3.5% or so.

That sounds like it is worth much less in relative terms, I would expect a suit of armor to cost more than normal clothing.

• Advertisement

There is a place for non payers to go. They can move back with their mammies or couch surf like people do in those situations. By keeping them in the bank`s house, the government is just trying to avoid the downward effect that selling houses have on house prices.

There are state mechanisms to ensure people are safe in their homes, renters are also afforded a safety mechanism... sure you can't evict a renter whether they pay or not. Is this all just resentment against those lucky enough to own their homes?

1800 euro would probably buy a present day soldier`s battle fatigues with plenty of change left over.

Battle fatigues aren't armor and anyway I think you are just conflating two things that happen to have "suit" in the name in the English language. In any case, a hypothetical person 100 years ago, never mind 3000 years ago, would be better investing their gold into an income producing asset instead of gold and they would be able to afford much more than a suit by now.

Yes. The law of the land is influenced by the govt. Thats what i mean. The govt and central bank arent going to take any hardline approaches on non paying tenants whilst there is a housing crisis.

Govt influence these policies.

if they have sofas to surf to, thats fine. But i expect a lot dont and if they dont, they end up on the street.

Govt doesnt want to handle that issue on top of the already increasing homeless figures.

If you think judges aren’t influenced by politics ?, I’ve some magic beans to sell you

• Registered Users Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The honours students will have noted the point already made; the alternative to investing in gold is not to invest in banknotes kept in a shoebox under your bed, but to invest in real assets. Over most timeframes, these will mostly outperform gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 harry_ireland

Interesting discussion lads.

Being non-Irish but having lived here for nearly 10 years it's crystalclear to me that this country has a dysfunctional bankingsystem.

I like this island, but there's just something deeply fraudulent going on with regards to the bankingsystem.

Just one example, if you sign up for a free Bunq savingsaccount, as an Irish resident you get 1,56% on their instant access savingsaccount.

Dutch residents get 2,46% and 3,71% is paid on USD and GBP accounts. This to me is intolerable. Seriously, what the ....

There simply is a cartel of banks here (mainly BOI,AIB and PTSB) that just cash the spread of the 3,75% ECB deposit-facility, meanwhile charging you

€72/year+transactionfees, 22% on creditcards, +10% on personal loans and giving a measly instant access account rate of 0,01%.

Again, Irish banks earn 3,74% on your instant access deposits right now.

I'm leaving out the Credit Unions, since they're useless to savers and while I applaud their involvement in local Irish communities (Richard Werner advocates this system of small local communitybanks), they aren't part of the cartel as far as I'm concerned. They serve a different purpose, much more meaningful than the big predatory banks.

This is what you get when a fraudulent system becomes untenable. Decades of deregulation, moneyprinting, speculation and lack of leadership has brought us here, which is the end of the road. The sheer incompetence and dishonesty of this generation of politicians is astounding. And most of this 'leadership' is forced on us through unelected officials.

It's like watching a forestfire, except the firefighters use petrol as an extinguishing agent. (interestrate-cuts and QE are the petrol)

It's going to be an historical 12 months, I guarantee you. The era of fraudulent cheap centralbank money has ended, but some people just cling on to the fantasy of a 'pivot' or a return to said era.

Thanks for letting me vent and if I may, I'd like to share some comments. It all depends on the reasons for having savings in the bank. If it's for longterm purposes it's an entirely different scenario than when it's parked there for a purchase in the near future (for example a deposit on a house or to buy a car/motorbike/etc).

Obviously, the last 15 years have been utterly insane and the reality of negative interestrates goes against every single common sense principle.

(This was just another blatant example of the corruption and rot in the system)

I wrote some short-term and some long-term solutions here, but since I'm a new member and also since I can't give personal financial advice, I decided it's better to leave those out. The other thing is that most folks here already know those solutions, but they may vary from person to person, from the willingness for risktaking. Personally, I take zero risk.

I will say this, though. What not to do:

-buying hyped up stocks. Please, if you are inexperienced with trading, don't do it.

-blindlessly following Youtuber hype hysteria. (The Rolex mania being a prime example of that)

-don't make decisions based on panic. Think about what you think about. And think about it some more.

Thanks for reading. I'm pretty p*ssed off about the current reality in Ireland. It's crisis after crisis, emergency after emergency and I might be wrong, but the mood has just been nothing short of depressing as of late.

Cheers.

Harry

• Advertisement

You can open a bank account in another European country easily using raisin.ie. Some of them are paying around the ECB rate. I think a lot of people will start doing this but there is a bit of inertia at the moment. The last time around, one of the Dutch banks started aggressively trying to get deposits actually in Ireland (Rabobank), they pulled out later though. Most of what you say there is really just due to a lack of competition. Banks exist to make money, they aren't running a charity, if they can get away with paying low deposit rates they will

Advertisement