Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polytunnel or greenhouse

Options
  • 31-07-2023 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hello,

I want to grow some vegetables and, maybe, fruit in a 4 m x 4 m plot. I'm reading some articles about polytunnels not being worth the investment because of the membrane breaking for many reasons, such as during a storm. I've seen some greenhouses going for about a 1000 for an 8 ft x 8 ft greenhouse. The problem with researching is that one gets so embedded in pros and cons, I've lost what suits my needs. Any advice?

Would it be best to buy something or build it myself? I do like the idea of a polytunnel, so my potential crops are house "inside" away from pests. I'd love some feedback from gardening experts here that have tried and tested various avenues when it comes to structures for growing fruits and vegetables.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Most of my information is a bit second hand from other family members, but greenhouses are not proof against blowing to bits in a storm unless you go really top of the range. I saw one with polycarbonate panes completely trashed by a storm. A relative got a rigid tunnel recently for a site that is directly lined up for coastal storms and seems to be very good. I had a cheaper plastic polytunnel and it was destroyed in the first storm, a friend has an identical one and its standing a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 MossyTracks

Thanks, @looksee . Do you know of a good vendor that sells these rigid tunnels? I would not fancy spending a couple of grand on a greenhouse, so maybe a good polytunnel is the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Exiled1

Greenhouses are much more expensive and growing results are no better than polytunnels.

DP plant near Enniscorthy do excellent poly tunnels.

Have had mine for four years and the plastic seems very good. It is estimated there is a five year life in it, but I know neighbours who are on their tenth year. Depends if they are in the path of flying branches, twigs etc during a storm.

If you are going for a poly tunnel, the larger you get, the more economical the investment and the relatively cheaper the price.

Ultimately the size of your garden will decide dimensions for you.

By the time you put a path or two in the tunnel, you would be surprised how much room is taken up.

My 24ft x 9ft tunnel can take about 24 strawberry plants, four cucumber plants, 20 tomato plants, 24 pepper / aubergine plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Perks

"Would it be best to buy something or build it myself?" @MossyTracks

That depends on your skills IMO.

I've built a few glasshouses over the years and am just about to build another(6mx2.5m) but only after first buying and constructing the ClassicII polytunnel approx 10ftx20ft from mygreenhosuedotIE(just checked still in biz). Unassembled it cost me 850, that was five years ago. I'd only entertain polycarbonate or plastic sheeting if I was going huge and currently I don't got the space to do that.

My reason for preferring glass for small medium scale is you can see into it and through it. So I can see my plants or beyond the place they are growing from inside the house or when I am close to it.

Also when I have the option I favour building a lean too with one wall being brick/stone.

Here's a photo of a small sized greenhouse that I built for me mam. Cost me 127 euro in materials plus paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

KSB garden are good. I have the 3x6m Strong in 6mm poly carbonate. Can't really fault it to be honest.

Get tomatoes fresh in early Dec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Advertisement