Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Can add Belmullet now to the list of stations having their wettest July on record. Records there go back to 1956.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭gilly1910

Weather in Galway was a lot better than it was for the east of the country, but it was most certainly not bone dry in Galway until the end of June. I was down in Galway for four days for the June Bank Holiday which was stunning and then again in the middle of June, and there was some very heavy rain during my stay in the middle of June. Also I don't get this notion that we badly needed rain which is so Irish, It's Ireland for god's sake and we are always going to get rain. So whether we get two, three, or four weeks of no rain, enjoy it beacuase it will always rain in Ireland at some stage.

I couldn't agree more, July has been an absolute horror show and sadly August is not looking too promising either. I do understand people trying to take small crumbs of comfort when we do get a half decent day or a few hours of sun, but anybody trying to talk up this Summer are deluding themselves unless they love constant rain.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I've never understood the worry people get when it doesn't rain for a week or more. We could have a 6 month drought and the place would indeed be fairly brown like southern Spain in the summer but within a few days of it raining again, Ireland would be as green as it ever was. The grass always grows back even if it looks completely dead. The south of Spain the grass turns green there during the late autumn to early Spring, so if the grass can recover there after months of barely any rain and 30+ almost daily for months on end, then there is no need to worry about the grass in Ireland. As for farmers here they don't bother planning ahead or conserving water for their farm when there is a few weeks without rain and that's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Ozvaldo

If theres a dry week with sun they call a hose ban

Cork City got totally drenched yesterday again while out cycling

Today is what we get here when theres no rain -dark manky pish

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The models are now starting to show some signs of improvement from August 10th, nothing to get about excited about for now but we should start to see dryer weather and temperatures back where they should be for the time of year - high teens to low 20s and mid 20s possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

I faced my fears of flying just to get away from the crappy weather in Ireland. It’s that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Its raining so much that there is green/brown algae growing everywhere all over the concrete and fencing...this normally only happens in winter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Soil moisture deficits are the biggest concern to Irish farmers. Soils are waterlogged at the moment at over 40mm away from normal for this time of year. The cost to put in rainwater harvesting for irrigation purposes in this country is just bananas for use maybe for a week or 2 every few years. The scale you are looking at is to give an acre, 25mm of rain you would need over 120,000 litres on that single acre

One aspect of this very wet July I haven't mentioned is rain days. Dublin Airport has seen 28 out of 31 days with rainfall at some point in the day so only 3 dry days all month. That is the most amount of rain days in a July I recall. 2007 had 27.

Just glad we're at the end of this horrific month which should be wiped from existence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ascophyllum

There is absolutely no way you could conserve the amount of water needed to irrigate a farm to restore soil moisture levels, I've seen the figures somewhere but even using a tanker to spread water all day wouldn't even come close to replenishing the moisture that would be required. No amount of planning ahead can mitigate the effects of a drought like June on growth. The only way to properly insure yourself against such extremes is to carry a very low amount of animals - it's not their drinking water that is the concern, it's the grass growth to keep them fed and to harvest fodder for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

I was going to post the exact same thing!

What surprised me the most was how dark it was this morning, I had every light on in the house while we were up and about trying to get everyone ready for the day.

Try and extend your holiday till August 10th if you can, the first 10 days of August are not looking good. Hopefully dryer and warmer after the 10th. How long it lasts will remain to be seen but this summer has been so bad I would gladly take 2 or 3 days of warm and sunny weather. I'm in the process of booking 2 holidays to southern Europe, one a weekend break and the other a longer duration, knowing my luck the weather will be fantastic here when I'm going abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

People's lives depends on grass growing and making their livelihoods out of it. As for your last comment about farmers,well that is a very ignorant comment. Financially it would be impossible to store the required amount of water and then irrigate it back onto the land to keep grass growing.

Unbelievable when you look at those stats for Dublin Airport.

Think we will just miss out on wettest ever July at Dublin Airport because although it rained for most of yesterday and looks like even worse today not heavy enough rain to beat the total.

Yeah not quite the wettest but still the 2nd wettest since records began in 1939 which is noteworthy in of itself.

I'm not a farmer and know nothing about farming but just thought it wouldn't be that difficult or expensive. In warmer climates they seem to manage ok using sprinklers and other ways of keeping moisture going where it needs to be but maybe the setups in other countries are much cheaper than it would be in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Those sprinklers are probably for fruit and vegetables and the area required to be irrigated would be tiny compared to what irish farmers would have to do to keep grass growing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

There are Huge concerns over diminishing ground water levels in aquifers in France and Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Please tell me more about these spike in temperatures? Anything to cling onto now will suffice! 😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Damn that won't help All Together Now festival, I'm due to go there tomorrow to work the festival build, hopefully Waterford fares better than where I am at the moment in Oranmore, Co Galway, the weather here is just dreadful at the moment.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Desperately dark. 11am. 14⁰ Galway

More rain here in the West, I had my wellies on all day yesterday. Lost all incentive to even move this morning and that's not like me.

Wednesday looks horrible in forecast so what level of bad is that, if yesterday and today are very poor conditions for July. A city break to London doesn't look much better midweek.

Supermoon should be visible at some point too but not if these dark dull days and nights continue I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Irrigating with mobile sprinklers is commonplace on many dairy farms in New Zealand and those are much larger dairy farms on average than in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Might as well change the thread title, summer is long fecking gone.

Another wet and dark day here in Meath, it basically hasn't stopped raining since yesterday morning. It is now the last day of July, the worst July I can ever remember in my lifetime for rainfall and amount of write off days in general, it's normally not this bad even in the winter. August can only be better.

😄😄😄😄 , whatever you do don't look back at my post at end of June that said summer 2023 was brilliant🤔.

If that does happen you will probably have some people on here saying that it's the best Summer ever, and we need some rain 😂

Well done, I hate flying myself but doesn't stop me going, only problem is this year we went very early in summer, but at least we got some sun.

I am not a farmer, but based upon the assertion that it rains more in Ireland than I would say most other countries, how do farmers in other countries survive as droughts of a few months would be quite common elsewhere? Also based upon my previous assertion that we get so much rain in Ireland, surely the soil moisture levels would be quite high for most of the year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 board silly

Apologies if already been asked/explained, but what is causing this wet July? is it linked to the heatwaves on the continent?

edit to add - I worked in The Netherlands during the summer of 2016 and I think that was an El Nino year. 30+ degrees most days. What was the weather like in Ireland that year?

Advertisement