Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

The "he was 3rd choice" argument even if you believe it dosent make sense as its never been an issue at other provinces

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Going into the season Healy was a more proven 10 than Crowley or Frawley, despite this both were selected ahead of him at the Emerging Ireland tour and November. its perfectly reasonable to question Farrell's logic on this. The reasoning that Crowley or Frawley provide more cover and hence would be far more likely to travel to the World Cup obviously makes sense but that should be communicated to Healy whereas it seems Farrell told Healy he was not in his plans at all.

I don't buy the argument that Healy has a low ceiling. He is a perfectly capable playmaker and if anything his passing is too flashy at times, he has a passable running game and is a reliable defender. I'm not sure where the big hole in his game is? it seems that because he has a big boot and played for Munster people are typecasting him as one dimensional.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

You keep mentioning guaranteed 1st choice for Edinburgh (vs down the Munster pecking order), but the draw of International rugby was clearly the bigger motivator for him. Like I said earlier:

Evidenced by the fact he was immediately called into the Scotland 6 Nations squad after it was announced he was leaving, and made his debut while still at Munster (which, iirc at the time, I think you suggested you didn’t think this was likely?)

Out of interest I went back to check, and you went even further than suggesting it was just unlikely:

I don't think it matters tbh. It would be astonishing management if Scotland called Healy up.

The fact he was called in immediately tells us exactly all we need to know about his motivations for the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 easymoneysnipa

Ireland don’t just go around capping third choice outhalves, now Healy was 2nd choice in 2021 as an example pulled out of thin air, but he was third choice ten for a few months this year. But third choice ten might have been a good call up if he was third choice 15 and third choice 12 too, that’s good bottom of the depth chart versatility for a red head to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Don't think anyone has suggested he wasn't being picked for Ireland because he was third choice at Munster. He was second choice for a couple of years, effectively first choice for a while during Carbery's injury and still didn't get a look in.

• Advertisement

That’s fine, but that can be true and it can still have impacted the provinces is my only point.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Which is the reason he left. It wasn't due to where he was or wasn't in the pecking order at Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Does anyone really know that?

On the other hand, if your version is correct, then he gave up on playing for Ireland at the age of 23, so maybe it wasn't that big a deal for him after all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The pecking order at Munster can hardly have helped though. Its a rather different scenario to think you can break into the Irish squad eventually when you are first choice for a side versus being completely leapfrogged by a relative newbie.

He's ultimately obviously correct that its easier to get international rugby with Scotland, cause Scotland are terrible. It doesn't, as of yet, mean anyone in the Irish coaching team made a mistake. There are only so many caps to give and the choice between Healy and HB seems much of a muchness to me (the Frawley thing I don't get, but I assume he's very much as a cover player to play midfield also).

Now, one intriguing counterfactual would be what would have happened had he been brought into training squads but never capped.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

We have no clue what Farrell did or did not say to Healy and I don’t think anyone called Healy one dimensional. Healy being “more proven” was purely down to playing in the position more. That doesn’t make him better. Especially not when looking at Crowley, given that most of Healys experience was built up when Crowley wasn’t on the scene at all.

My opinion on Healy was that he was a decent 10. He wasn’t much more than that. He kicked on a bit after making the decision to leave, but I think his recent form seems to be clouding a lot of memories of the guy, who btw got a good bit of media attention too when he broke through. But he simply wasn’t at the level and had shown little to nothing to suggest he could get there up to October 2022. There was hardly an outcry of any note when he wasn’t in the AI squad for example.

Crowley on the other hand looked like he absolutely had the ability to make it at Test level. Frawley obviously did something right in NZ having been brought as a centre and forced to fill in at 10 after Harry Byrnes injury. I wouldn’t have him there myself, but I’m more than happy to back the coaches decisions given they’ve gotten more right than wrong the last few years.

• Advertisement

He’s played for Scotland before he’s ever played for Edinburgh.

It’s pretty clear International rugby was the draw, and a move to Edinburgh facilitated that, not the other way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Not at Munster where Crowley was clearly 3rd choice when Ireland started looking at him too. None of this is provincial so there’s no need to make it such.

Bent played for Ireland before Leinster, doesn't mean international rugby was the draw...

Like, obviously, it was a large part of it. But I think its a bit silly to completely discard the notion that playing second fiddle to two separate players at Munster (one younger and less experienced) didn't have an impact. If for no other reason then his pretty clear placing at Munster would also indicate his international chances were limited.

But how many caps has Bent? And how many is Healy now likely to get?

And I haven't "complete discarded" it. I've said "way bigger motivator / draw" a number of times on this thread. And I stand by that; the International element was, imo, clearly a far, far more significant element than anything to do with Edinburgh.

I'm sure. No one moves to play for Edinburgh, let's be realistic.

But I think his position at Munster would have been a significant factor in determining his international career was not likely to take off in Ireland. It would be one thing, in a post-Sexton world, to be one of 4 first choice fly halves playing. Its a very different thing to be 2nd choice at your province, particularly to someone younger. Even with a different coach in Ireland it would make things less likely.

My original point, which I pretty much stand by, is that Munster clearly don't see Healy as a top level international player either, or he wouldn't have fallen so easily and quickly behind Crowley.

I really can't understand why some Leinster fans can't accept the possibility that Farrell didn't rate him and told him so. It's quite obvious that didn't rate him when there were 7 other players called up ahead of him, including a player who doesn't actually play 10.

Scotland chased him for two years before he decided to leave. He quite obviously waited those two years to see if an Ireland call up came and when it didn't he decided that his international rugby future was with Scotland.

It's entirely possible they saw both as an international level prospect, but thought Crowley had an even higher celiing than Healy. They're not mutally exclusive. Like I said, if Healy had stayed, I think it's fair to say Munster would have been the most well-stocked province at 10.

But I think his position at Munster would have been a significant factor in determining his international career was not likely to take off in Ireland.

His lack of involvement in even a training camp, when he's seen other players in 3rd and 4th choice at Leinster (the latter who doesn't even really play 10 for Leinster) getting selected (and like I said, even Jake Flannery in the EI tour), is way more an indicator that his international career was not likely to take off, imo.

He didn't fall behind Crowley until he told Munster he was leaving.

Yeah, that's fair. He announced it earlier than I realised.

His lack of involvement in even a training camp, when he's seen other players in 3rd and 4th choice at Leinster

And Munster....3rd choice Munster players were involved, they just got picked ahead of him

So you could equally make the argument he left cause Farrell picked Crowley ahead of him? Does anyone think that was the wrong call?

I've had this argument before too, but I don't think we can say in any definitive way that Crowley was de facto 3rd choice under the new coaching ticket, due to the timing the EI tour, and the subsequent injury issues Munster had.

But what we do know is that this Munster coaching ticket are happy to back form. He would have had the opportunity to change that pecking order possibly more than at any other province (and that's exactly how it played out).

And we also know that Farrell values what he sees in camp. He never got that oppotunity, even in an extended squad. That's a far, far bigger indicator of how his international career was going to go than anything at Munster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Your forgetting Irish u 20s and he was one of our better players in 21/22 season …..he and fekitoa suffered most at start of season gone in a team low on confidence ….integrating new game plan and loosing games ….both finished Season v strong ….Munster wanted him to start but Farrell and Nucifora didn’t ….he wanted a shot at regular game time and international rugby …ultimately that’s why he left

Complete aside, but I thought it interesting; Ben Healy already has more international minutes and starts than Bent.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Are you saying that in retrospect, the EI tour was actually a good idea in that it developed those players, or that it was a bad idea because it deprived Munster of 10 of our top choice 23 at the start of the season when they would have been much more useful playing for Munster than being yoinked out of the Munster squad at a crucual point at the start of a new season with a new coaching ticket?

(I remember all the nonsense from back then where people were saying it was ok that Crowley went on EI tour because he was only the 3rd choice outhalf and healy and Carbery were both ahead of him, incidentally, the same people now are saying Healy left Munster because he was 3rd choice out half... schrodingers 3rd choice, depending on the preferred jersey of the observer)

Of all of the Munster players who went on that tour, we already knew how good they were before they went. They didn't develp as players because they went to play AIL level rugby in a half arsed tour coached by Simon Easterby.

Maybe Munster did benefit, in that it hardened the team and forced them to have to go into the most gruelling run of must win away games on the road to a title victory that we are ever likely to see.

Very much the latter. I think it’s pretty clear those players would’ve been 1st choice for Munster regardless of the EI tour.

What I meant by “no difference to the Provinces” was in relation to our results during the EI tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭bartkingcole

In real time, both Kleyn and Healy are mistakes. In hindsight I am confident they will be too. The Irish coaching team have pass in that they have got more right than wrong but I have a feeling this will come back to bite.

I'm sceptical whether Munster benefitted due to the disruption at the start of the season and their terrible opening to the URC campaign. Ireland definitely benefitted though, as did some of the players in terms of their international careers and possibly the training/exposure they got.

By a relative newby? Healy is 6 months older than Crowley?

You're suggesting he was so scared of Crowley taking his spot that he decided to run away to Scotland

It's the opposite. He is clearly a very ambitious player who sees himself as an international out half. He only took the 1 year extension even when he was ahead of Crowley, because he wanted to see what his chances were for Ireland. Andy told him there was no chance, so he went

You're suggesting he was so scared of Crowley taking his spot that he decided to run away to Scotland

No, I'm not and nor would I ever use such kind of language. And yes, Crowley was a "relative" newbie - 15 appearances with 5 starts vs 40 appearances and 18 starts coming into the last season.

Good luck to him in Scotland, but the reason he has a shot there and not in Ireland is because Scotland are not very good.

• Advertisement

I don't see it myself. I don't see any of the performances on that Tour telling the Irish selectors anything meaningful about their ability to play international level rugby.

It was a complete waste of time.

The Munster players who broke into the (fringes of the) Irish set up did so on the back of having outstanding seasons which would have happened without that tour.

Given that the tour was arranged at least in part to give Frawley a platform at 10, if he hadn't gotten injured, not even Crowley would have benefitted from the tour as Frawley would have started most iof the games.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/2022/09/25/ciaran-frawley-injured-emerging-ireland-tour-south-africa/

Advertisement