Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The car was in the cycle lane, so was the poster just taking a picture of a car that wasn't impacting their journey? Am I not allowed to ask that question?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,126 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

it's an obnoxiously illegally parked car, you might have noticed people on this forum are not big fans of people dumping their cars where they shouldn't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I actually parked my car correctly in the available spaces, then spotted a lady and a man manoeuvring around the car who was parked away from the proper spaces and obstructing the bike Lane.

There are actual parking spaces here and they couldn’t manage that. I drive around Dublin as much as I cycle. So please don’t see me as anti car to suit your narrative.

Ah right, didn't think the car was "dumped" but you learn something everyday, also crucial to take a picture and post about it online as well.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I walk Griffith Avenue daily and cycle it infrequently. I'd see a car (not always the same one) illegally parked on the cycle lane almost daily.

BTW Another issue is Dublin Bus buses parked in the cycle lane. I don't mean dropping off and picking up passengers, I mean parked up for 30 minutes or more. Basically down by the 123 terminus, but not at the correct terminus stop spaces, instead some drivers seem to park up outside the church or schools instead blocking the cycle path!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭bikeman1

It took 2 seconds to take a pic and a minute to post about it. Message boards are for discussion and commentary, not sure you're in the right place if you don't like that. Nothing on here is "crucial". Griffith Ave and Fairview will still have all the traffic lanes maintained, parking and wait for it safe cycle routes for everyone. Why are you are so against bike lanes?

All I am looking for is that people respect the bike lanes as required by law, not just some inconvenience. A car parked in a bike lane, like on Griffith Ave. is actually braking the law.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Plus the whole point of this cycle lane was supposed to create a safe cycle lane for children to cycle to school.

I often see kids as young as 5 cycling on this cycle lane. Should a young child be forced to pull out into the main road of traffic because of an illegally parked car like this?

And the worst thing about this, there is plenty of legal parking spaces close to this location, so there is really no excuse for it.

You must point out where I said I was against bike lanes. That is rather wide of the mark, I am more against just posting a picture of a car parked in a cycle lane, with myriads of space either side, and seeing that as a larger issue than it is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

are you sure you're in the right forum? this is to do with commuting and transport. illegally parked cars and motorists breaking the rules are probably the biggest factor holding back buses, bikes, and other efficient forms of transport, so people are going to post about these things often.

• Advertisement

[MOD] To be clear, a person is completely free to post pictures of illegal parking here on this forum. What is against the rules is for you to tell other people what they can and can't post, that is back seat modding and very much against the rules. [MOD]

The myriads of space you mention to the right of the car is actually a legal car parking space where the car could of legally parked and not blocked anyone or endangered anyone.

I honestly don't know how anyone could seek to justify what we see in this. You honestly think it is okay for a car to park illegally like this and thus force young children to have to cycle into traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

It does impact their journey. It forces them into the road with motor traffic. If people can't park their cars in parking spaces, chances are they can't drive them properly either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The last few posts have been a discussion about a photo taken on Griffith Avenue and again I'm asking for everyone to keep the thread on topic as this scheme/project is one of the largest/most important being built for mixed-modal transport in Dublin right now.

One thing I've noticed is that progress really slowed down over July - I can imagine holidays would explain it, but is it common that holidays would be concentrated in July/school holidays in the industry?

Also where the MGWR bridge over North Strand seems to have the space for proper bus stops along with the 4 lane and cycle track design. I feel this should have been done, possibly along with keeping stops near Fairview hall (even if the distance would be rather short between the two). But maybe I'm overlooking something important there.

What is really bizaare is the removal of the bus stops nearer Buckingham Street/Connolly Station in favour of stops *even closer* to the retained stops between five lamps and Newcomen Bridge. The road profile between 5 lamps and the loop line overpass is basically the same throughout and hindering transfer journeys on public transport seems daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Oh it's fantastic that people wake up and actually discuss this. Yes it would have been great to consider your option, either on this thread or during a proper consultation.

But no, I was laughed at and ridiculed for bringing up the bus stop placement last year, on this thread. Mocked cause I didn't want to walk an extra 300m, poor me.

Now everyone wants to give their opinion #notbitter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The recent posts got me thinking, it'd be interesting to see the reaction if a number cyclists coordinated to early one day park bikes in car parking spaces in the city centre (I assume there is no reason why bikes can't use what are accepted as car spaces, once they pay accordingly). No doubt there'd be uproar but when a car is disrupting cycle infrastructure some people seem to question if there is an issue with it at all.

Obviously the actual equivalent would be bikes parked in a road lane but that would probably be too Just Stop Oil and actually be counterproductive to the cause. The point would be to draw attention to the issue in a reasonable way. Off tpoic to the thread so apologies, just thinking out loud.

I always thought organising a "Drive your car to work day" among cyclists might be a good way of showing how many cars people on bikes take off the roads during the rush hours

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭markpb

I genuinely don't think it would work. The message would be completely lost. Drivers are perfectly happy to sit in a queue of traffic, it's just an accepted fact. They might moan a bit and in the past, that moaning might have led to road widening but that's unlikely to happen these days.

That's a great idea but if it's publicised in advanced, those who normally drive would likely take the day off so would defeat the purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I doubt you'd get much uptake from cyclists either, most of them aren't activists hanging out here or on Cycling Twitter and even those that are wouldn't be that keen to spend a morning sitting in terrible traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

Plus having to find parking at their destination themselves too would be a pain. If it was done, they'd need to have flags or something out the windows of the car saying something like "I usually cycle".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Got a bus out through North Strand/Fairview yesterday, first time I was out that way in 6 months.

It's obscene what's been done. There's zero justification for having the entire route dug up all the way out at the same time. Except of course it feeds the usual brown envelope culture where somebody gets to take a chunk of public money. Now legitimised with green stripes on the envelope.

Can't imagine how many businesses along the way are going under. There at least one that's been there for 20+ years that gone .

All to push the standard Dublin policy of forcing people away from driving by making it impossible. Without providing actual alternatives.

Bus services are possibly less reliable than they've ever been. Taxis are pretty much a monopoly under Freenow which is a wonderful example of how the gig economy fleeces customers and providers, while providing a mediocre service. And not everyone is in a position to cycle.

I really hope that every single person in favour of this monstrosity suffers the consequences in years to come.

There's zero justification for having the entire route dug up all the way out at the same time. 

Would love to know how you would envisage the replacement of water pipes without digging up the road

Yes, laying large diameter watermains is usually done 1m at a time, it's only the corrupt Irish who do it in longer lengths. And coupling it with other works which would also disrupt the same route, wouldn't happen anywhere else I tells ya!

And a large portion of the population of Dublin will indeed "suffer" the consequences of this works by having a continuous supply of potable water. Those bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

As others have said the scale and duration of the works is because they're replacing the water main and doing sewerage works while working around all the cables buried under the road. They'd be well finished by now if it was only the cycle lane that was being done.

The business that is gone went before the works started so was probably struggling and was likely gone with or without the works. I believe he's sold the site for a handsome profit and is working for someone else, doing the same thing, with no stress of running a business and probably comes out with more money at the end of the day.

Is this project, when finished, not proving two alternatives, a high quality cycle lane and faster bus routes?

Plenty of 24 hour bus routes now so there should be less customers competing for the taxis. You can still get a taxi by sticking your hand out, going to a rank, or calling the local taxi office. There are also apps other than free now, most of the drivers are on few.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The jeweller's business was not on North Strand.

The cycle shop (oh the ironing) seems to be gone. I haven't seen it open in months.

Lovely new car parking spaces though - and they appear to be free to use at the moment, or at least nobody using them displays any sort of ticket.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Is there anything in this post that is not based on misinformation?

Just run the water main through the park, like all the retired business people wanted. No need to connect that water main to any houses or businesses though.

"Not everyone can cycle". Even less people have access to a car, but you don't give shít about them, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,690 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The bus service is indeed facing challenges arising from recruitment issues right now, but that will resolve itself eventually.

Are you suggesting that investment in infrastructure which will improve bus journey times and reduce conflicts between buses and cyclists should be abandoned because of a short term staffing problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I cycled inbound along the new cycle lane this morning. Great facility.

Advertisement