Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar for Beginners [ask your questions here]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,646 ✭✭✭micks_address

I'm running home assistant on a pi, have zappi and givenergy integrated. I guess I could have an automation which would kick in when the zappi is charging at full rate to limit the battery discharge. I guess it might have ended up costing me slightly less by discharging the battery into the car as id have charged it as a cheaper rate..worked out ok as it was a sunny morning and solar topped it up pretty quickly again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I know that giving a wrong or bad answer to a question is poor education, but here's 90% of what you might need from the HA side:

And it looks like you might need 1.8.0 of the plug-in to avail of some of the useful features:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 twitcherdub

I am thinking about getting additional panels installed on a south-facing roof. I'm thinking that additional panels could help with charging an EV (future purchase). We already have a 5.8 kwh install split 50/50 on east-west, but could get possibly an additional 3-5 panels on the south facing roof, bringing the total capacity to 8 kwh. I have a few questions that hopefully someone might be able to advise me on:

• Would we get sufficient benefit from the additional panels - it would probably cost an additional 3000-3500 euro to add 5 panels (using existing 5k inverter), I would need optimisers on at least one of the existing string arrays as it would be a 3 way split if my understanding is correct.
    • I reckon I can get the panels for around 200 euro each. I have some spare racking I can use from the original install so our costs should be just for the actual install and electrical. Are there companies that will take on that work without supplying the equipment?
    • Would I be better using the money to install an EV charger instead?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ebeanz

Total newbie here, I've only just started researching in the past few days after a neighbour had panels installed. I'm an Electric Ireland customer and the prices quoted on their website seem reasonable based on what I've read here (although until I get a quote I won't know the exact price or what equipment they use.) For 10 panels they're quoting a max output of 4.1kWp with an annual output of 3500kWp and a cost of €8874 before grant, for 12 panels it's 4.9kWp annual output of 4200kWp and a cost of €8874 before grant. I've already decided that I don't want batteries or an EDDI.

I had a couple of questions which hopefully someone can answer, our usage is low we only used 2.9kWh last year and this year it's looking to be less at around 2.6kWh for the year. Does that mean that with 10 or 12 panels that I won't be paying for electricity and will be able to sell the surplus back to the grid?

A lot of the post's I'm reading seem to be quite technical which I'm struggling to understand, do you have to be tech savvy and really understand the system to get the best out of it or can I just get it installed and forget about it? Do I have to switch to a smart meter account - I have a smart meter but am on the regular tariff.

Thanks for taking the time to reply

I had a couple of questions which hopefully someone can answer, our usage is low we only used 2.9kWh last year and this year it's looking to be less at around 2.6kWh for the year. Does that mean that with 10 or 12 panels that I won't be paying for electricity and will be able to sell the surplus back to the grid?

I presume that's 2.9kWh per day? That seems to me to be very low? If that value is right and you then install a 4.1kW system, then while the solar system may be a larger number than the average daily consumption (and aren't actually measuring the same thing), you'll still have a shortfall of energy as you're not storing it onsite and because much of the energy use occurs outside of the typical times when solar is generating. So in your case you'd export much of the solar back onto the grid (and get paid for it), but you'd still have to import units in the evening and overnight.

Let's say that you use 2.9kWh over the course of a day, this equates to 121Wh per hour (2.9/24). If your 4.1kW system generated 2.0kWh over a period of 1 hour in the day, 1.879kWh would be exported to the grid. Hence for that one hour you would not have to pay for electricity at all.

If you stored much of this excess energy in a battery then you would be able to consume that energy later on in the evening and night, but at a higher total cost due to the outlay for the battery.

So I'd summarise this to say that while the FiT (feed in tariff) remains high then solar-only with no storage is worth-while, but not if the FiT degrades over time.

Makes sense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭DC999

We’ve the same yearly usage for our house as you. Under 3000kWh. And solar helps us hugely.

We got an EV and that uses ~2000kWh a year (~15kms city driving). And we use electric rads in 2 rooms during winter. So…houses will be moving to use more electricity (heating, EVs…). Meaning it’s a good investment IMHO.

You need a smart meter to get paid FIT (but don’t need a smart tariff, can stay on a 24hr tariff).

You can ‘set and forget’ when it’s setup. It gets more advanced if you want to setup automation to start this or that device when there is excess. But that ain’t needed. So you don’t need to have any understanding. 

Thanks for replying - it's actually 2900kWh per year so based on your calculations I'd be using about 331Wh per hour so it would be cost effective while it was generating solar electricity. I'll do some more research but I assume I could add a battery at a later date if necessary?

That's put my mind at rest thanks, I don't have to go full on techno but can take my time to get my head around it.

Yes you can if you go for a hybrid inverter. There are other technologies for doing it too, but hybrid is the best option in many ways.

Hi folks,

For my last panel fitted today and connected. Am I right in thinking no configuration on the inverter is required for one extra panel?

It was the roofer from my installer fitted and connected.

Is there a way to see from the pv data the extra panel?

Cheers,

Mick

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

The dc string voltage should be higher, that's all you'll see (and a higher total output)

Thanks went back through the data and string 1 looks bit higher alright, like 25 to 30 volts?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

was wondering what help my additional 350 watt panel might be in terms of generation - plugged into https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/ the extra panel equates to about an additional 295kwh per year. Not massive but just nice to have maxed out the space on the roof now and have the originally quoted kwp promised at install

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭DC999

It will add X% more than you produce now. So let's pretend you've 10 panels and you produced 1000kWh in a given time period. You'll now produce 1.1 times that. Or another way - if you've 8 panels now, divide last months kWh by 8 and multiple by 9 and that would be what it would of produced with that extra panel. Assuming it's the same orientation.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

Got solar panels installed last week and today's the first day of been able to track the data. I have 8 panels on roof.

Do these readings seem OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Yes.

10.6 kWh for me on a 3.1 kWp install. Set up 1.7 kWp South and 1.4 kWp West, so should get less than you as the west panels make less.

What wattage and orientation are your panels? All south facing.......

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭BalboBiggins

Hi guys, I got solar panels last year but haven't done anything with the app. Is there anything I should do to make things more efficient, or just leave it as default?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

I'm lucky enough to have got solar panels installed by my local housing authority but I've received no information about them so I have a few questions.

I have 8 panels and have recently installed solis app today I've yielded 9kwh. Is this good?

Does any excess energy I don't use get added each day and reflect on my bimonthly energy bills?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭con747

Check if your NC6 form was received by ESBN so you can receive a micro generation payment for excess sent back to the grid. You need to know what wattage your panels are to know if that was good production and then what the weather was like where you are.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement

Have you got a battery? If you do you can charge it at night if you have a day/night meter in winter to get cheaper use during the day. You can use the Solis cloud app to remotely control the inverter if you have a generation 3 data logger but you need to contact Solis support to get access.

euservice@solisinverters.com There's more data you can see on the app by pressing your plants name then press device then press the long serial number and you have more details there including the option to control the inverter remotely by pressing the 3 dots on the top right if it's activated.

Today was an OK day in terms of solar production. 9kWh sounds roughly right for 8 panels (1.1kWh per panel). It all depends on the orientation of the panels and whether you had sun or cloud in that solar period for your panels.

For comparison my 5 panels (mixed orientation and with some shading) made 4.4kW, so 0.88kWh per panel.

But yep, sounds about right!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭Panrich

I'm getting solar installed in October, with battery and EDDI. Is there anything I can be swotting up on in advance as there seems to be a lot of tweaking that can be done on systems.

I am getting ~ 10 Jinko 430 KWh, Solis inverter and Dyness 5KwH battery. I have a smart meter and day/night rates. I also have HA set up so might be looking at the options to incorporate that.

Just would appreciate any advice on what areas to look at to get up to speed.

Look at below threads, if you have a smart meter mind you don't access data on your suppliers portal. A lot of people activated their smart meters by doing that. Access it on the ESBN portal. If your contract is nearly up with your supplier check out these rates with Flogas but ONLY sign up online most who rang were told they couldn't avail of it.

https://www.flogas.ie/flogas-community-plan-electricity-fixed-1-yr.html thread here https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058235650/switching-electric-gas-providers/p132 you might even save by breaking your current contract and pay the fee.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058224611/solar-pv-monitoring-automation-thread

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058274138/eddi-issues

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭Panrich

Thank you so much for this. Ironically I am already with Flogas but it will be up in January.

I forgot to say make sure you confirm with ESBN that they received your NC6 form after installation and get confirmation by email because they have been known to "misplace" them and you only get paid FIT (Feed In Tariff) from the day they receive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭jkforde

nice one! can you describe your solar system a bit - size kwp, make of inverter, any other bits & bobs

the inverter app typically is just for information but the ability to control the inverter is getting more common now. is this what you mean by 'make things more efficient'?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Old Jim

Heat Pump and Solar PV Question. Is it possible to regulate the power consumption of a heat pump (Thermia Atec 6kW) when it is producing hot water? My HP consumes about 2.5kW when it is making hot water which is usually a bit more than the PV is producing these cloudy days. Can it be turned turned down to run at a lower power for longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

It depends on the make of the heat pump. Mitsubishi has 2 settings for hot water, standard or eco mode. Eco mode will use less electricity but take a little longer according to the manual.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

I have a thermia iTec Eco (yet to be installed) but it too has an eco setting. The Atec model may do as well. Have a look at what the user manual says.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

Advertisement