Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COYGIG - Women’s Football World Cup 23 **Mod Warning in Post #58**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

No they were not. They played really well in the second half against Australia and were very unlucky not too get a goal. They played very good in the first half against Canada and again were unlucky.

Today they played really good in both half's of the game. Yes a goal would have been nice but a draw is still better than a third defeat.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Well in my opinion the table and standings don't lie. That's where we are at. You can't be unlucky in 3 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,864 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Everyone knows they’re limited going forward, especially the manager. That’s why they play with a back five and defend in a low block. It’s no secret.

They had one of the toughest groups with the co-hosts, the Olympic champions and a solid Nigeria side. Sure, they finished bottom, but they weren’t hammered in any game. Take it for what it is - a credible first effort and good foundations on which to build. Of course, it counts for feck all if they don’t kick on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Yes but we had a brilliant defence in all those tournaments, particularly 88 and 90.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

They were only unlucky in two games they drew the last game so while its not a great result its still a good result.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Seneca the Stoic

It was a freak goal, and even if we are now randomly disregarding own goals, not more than Canada scored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Most of this assessment took place in your head only and not on any pitch. You need to take “unlucky” out of your vocabulary when describing sporting performances, you use it an awful lot and the more you know about any sport the more you’ll understand that luck plays a very small part, if any, at elite level which this is supposed to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭oceanman

that goal was a total fluke. only ended up in the net because of a bad mistake by the keeper.

What’s a good result? Bottom of table with one point?

What were you expecting, out of curiosity? Lost by a goal to the 7th and 10th ranked teams, drew with the 40th ranked team who beat 7th. Ireland are 22nd, in case you’re not aware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Australia beat Canada 4 - 0 - ooofff! :-)

I am aware, thanks. Do you think bottom of the group with one point and one goal is ‘good’?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Glad to see they didn't go home on 0. Really feel they left the Canada game slip. To get nothing from that game will hurt but overall apart from a poor 2nd half against Canada. A very good effort from the team. Hopefully not the last WC we see them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Outbelieve? I believe they are out.

You didn’t answer my question, what did you expect?

I think it’s a pass mark with all things considered. But my expectations were low/realistic having followed the team in the lead up.

Yeah I’ve also been following them - you keep alluding to this knowledge that you seem to think I don’t have 🙂

My expectations were also low, and it was definitely a tough group. Effort was great, but tournaments hinge on results rather than input unfortunately, and if we are calling bottom of the group with one point ‘good’, which was my initial point, then we are doing the team no favours really. If you disagree on that prognosis, then fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 20,719 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

It's a [oor tournament when you finish bottom of the group no other way aorund that,

The one ray of light is they aren't that far of being a decent team, A couple of half decent attacker & a better management team & they could compete,

Management had no idea how to get them to move up the pitch as a team ,We where a shambles tactically on the ball , The girls kept it the best they could & looked like they could play football but that tactic's meant they had no chance of sustaining attacks, Huge gaps between defence & a midfield sitting on top of them to the attacking players,

It sounds like we’re on a similar train of thought, I completely agree with not patronising them with OTT plaudits. But I also think they performed as well as their ability allowed. The squad is very limited which is why Pauw didn’t go to her bench until the last 10 minutes today. She wanted a result badly and wasn’t in the mood to chuck players on for token caps. I respect that.

I won’t be running them down given ability, group difficulty, and all the games were close (in scoreline at least). Of course there’s room for critique and that’s very important after any tournament where you fail to progress. Was it good? Not really. Acceptable? For me it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

Says it all really. Not a fan of players trying to call the shots, too much ego on show

• Registered Users Posts: 25,246 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

In fairness.

they bagged 1 point out of 9.

they scored 1 goal in around the total of 290 - 300 minutes of football they played.

they finished bottom of the group.

I think it’s acceptable to say regardless of ranking or experience coming into the tournament, the expectation was that we / they might do a little better….

so can these white knights quit jumping down the throats of those who might want to discuss that negative….

the team was lauded, praised, celebrated, encouraged and complimented when they qualified… now it’s time for fair reflection…. It wasn’t a good tournament for them… the table doesn’t lie, you get zero points for effort unfortunately. It’s a results business…. The result is 1 point, 1 goal and bottom of the table… 🤌🏻

• Advertisement

It’s subjective, but I pretty much agree with all of that.

I would certainly never run them down either, as evidenced by my earlier posts in this thread. My daughter is a serious football player and I think they are great role models. But they are in the big leagues now (undeniably an amazing achievement), and we should be assessing them accordingly I think

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

From the Irish Times:

It was some time around the 70-minute mark that Ireland captain Katie McCabe turned to Ireland manager Vera Pauw with a specific demand.

Freshen up. Now.

Pauw, unmoved, seemed more concerned with Irish football’s best attacker (ever) to stay compact, keep the shape and remain at left back.

The Dutch coach ignored the request, so McCabe took over, appearing to instruct Sinead Farrelly to drop into defence so she could raid higher up the pitch.

I don’t really understand this, but are the women so beyond reproach that we celebrate when they ignore their manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Not many keepers would save that. Watch it again.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I don't think Pauw will get another contract.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭StevenToast

If you think the coverage of this has been cringe to date...just wait until the homecoming farce arranged for O'Connell Street......

More forced platitudes and euphemistic drivel....

A few family members with a few flags in Dublin Airport would be sufficient for this teams achievements.......

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭jonnreeks

Now that the Girls in Green have experienced a World Cup competition, it will create the incentive to raise their standards even more and qualify for further tournaments! COYGIG💚

• Registered Users Posts: 68,550 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

If people feel moved enough to come out and show support/appreciation, so what?

They aren't being forced at gunpoint. Nor or you forced to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Gusser09

A fairly accurate summary. They were as poor as our mens team have been in any of the competitions they have qualified for apart from euro 2012. But this wasn't much better. The standard going forward for our womens game has to be qualifying for tournaments like this. They are capable of doing that. The lesson here has to be that once you get to the tournament the standard of opposition improves drastically.

A fresh face is probably needed in the dugout now going forward. Vera has done well to get the to qualify but she has other stuff she needs to address.

Not sure who could replace her. Has to be a better tactician than Vera as I felt some of here game management and approach was poor. Now she'd argue that it was the players who weren't up to executing the game plan. But for the most the plan and approach seemed to be route 1 and back to front as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

looking at the stats 1 shot on target from ireland and 2 from Nigeria shows the quality of the game.

but hopefully they can move on up now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭ebbsy

A very tough group.

Our first World Cup.

The manager has received not enough support, she will be off somewhere else to a country that will appreciate her.

And then when we end up just like the mens team, hopeless and with no sponsor, stupid people will wonder why.

Advertisement