Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road accidents and deaths time to take the Jungle of the roads

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Improved flow and improved safety can quite often be contradictory goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Doesn't matter if there is hedges in the centre of a big round about. You can still see to the right to join safely.

If you're unable or are extremely nervous when joining a round about with hedges, then you probably shouldn't be driving.

Do more lessons, skill up, practice or what ever.

The amount of people on the road that really shouldn't be is a joke. (a large number of people do not get the rules of a roundabout despite having passed their test)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

The Beast from the East was gone within a week, hopefully this troll is too.

Tackling thousands upon thousands of uninsured and unlicensed drivers should be a bigger priority than pruning some roadside shrubs.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Can this be summed up with, "I have to slow down when approaching roundabouts to safely traverse them because I can't see traffic approaching from the other side?"

If so it seems to me that the vegetation on the roundabout is doing a stellar job and is causing most drivers to slow down and concentrate on traffic coming from the right hand side, this is the kind of passive infrastructure design we should be encouraging. Speed is a function of the road conditions not paint on a sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭beastfromtheEast

I am not a troll and I totally agree with taking unlicensed and uninsured drivers off the road.

It's not either or improving visibility has no bearing on lawbreaking drivers.

In my opinion better visibility or roundabouts can only be a good thing.

I have never been involved in a road accident but I do find behaviour at roundabouts has gotten worse over the years.

More and more people don't bother using their indicators or yield to the right.

In my personal opinion I would like to be able to see these people entering the roundabout that does not make me a troll.

I accept that I hold a minority opinion on this thread but I fail to see what purpose having mini jungles on roundabouts serve.

I have had my say others are free to disagree fine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

In my opinion better visibility or roundabouts can only be a good thing.

Except that's not true, because it encourages drivers to take the roundabout at speed. There is an argument against greenery on roundabouts, but it is categorically not "only a good thing" to remove them.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭beastfromtheEast

I can see your point it's a tricky one.

People seem clueless on the use of roundabouts.

Advertisement