Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

Hope you didn't lose any money, your right it's just miserable when this wet, hope you get a chance to go again before they are back to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Constant influence of low pressure and westerly winds drawing moisture in off the Atlantic but that moisture has highly likely been enhanced by the warmer than average sea temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I grew up on a farm. Farmers do store water but the demand is significant. Especially for dairy.

Under normal summer conditions you would typically see cows consuming 30-50 litres of water per day when at grass.

When combined with higher than average temperatures you can see water consumption increase to as much as 70 litres per day. 

Also the grass essentially stopped growing in June - even in my garden. Farmers were struggling. That said, the grass growth in July was impressive.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

there are something like 7 million cows in Ireland, they need a hell of a lot of precipitation to be kept fed. This is why we start going on about drought after a couple of weeks of rain. In Southern Spain where our fruit veggies come from, they store every last bit of rain that falls and spread it out over the year, they have excellent water infrastructure and irrigation systems, and fruit and veg need far less water than cattle.

Given droughts could become more and more common in Ireland, you'd think we'd be investing heavily in water infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ascophyllum

Farmers do store water for drinking - that generally isn't a problem, it's just the slow down in grass growth that creates problems - there's enough to eat but milk production will go down on dairy farms and there isn't enough grass to harvest for feed for the winter months. Other countries don't stock nearly as many cattle as we do - you could drive for hundreds of miles in Spain and not see enough grass to feed even one cow. In other places like the US, they keep cattle in giant feedlots and feed them milled ration - they don't graze like in Ireland.

Anyway, the opposite problem is happening now! - land in many places is too wet to travel on which is hampering harvesting of silage and other crops and also too wet for cattle to walk on - many farms are housing their cattle until things dry up a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I think that's a big part of it. Previous wetter Julys seemed to have more dry days between the deluges. This is just non-stop. Even on the slightly better days there's showers or drizzle. It also means the grass never dries out properly for cutting!

On my way home now from another day getting wet in work. Dark and miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Raining.

Galway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It really has been relentless. I don't think we can single out any part of the country which has had wetter or dryer weather this July, it's been equally rubbish and soaking wet across the entire country. Alot of rain has fallen here again over the past few hours which should add a fair few mm to the July rainfall totals which is currently sitting at 172mm at Dunsany. Last summer we had 114mm of rainfall spread across all 3 months....

Summer total is around 220mm and we still have the entire month of August to add to the summer rainfall total.

Every station in the country is now well past 100mm of rainfall for July with many of them above 150mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Robwindstorm

This July is a complete washout. I have a small farm and am struggling to get work done here in Meath. Tillage crops look black in the fields and second cut silage is now behind so the contractor is going to be under a lot of pressure.

Miserable kids and cattle, cancelled outdoor events, wet parks and playgrounds, drooping clotheslines, wet bouncy castles, grey skies, floods, puddles, mucky gaps,wet heavy silage bales and black rotten crops,wet football matches and kiddies football practice, dark chilly evenings. There's July 2023 in a nutshell.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

Horrendous day in south mayo

the worst yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 board silly

Anyone else growing tomatoes this year? Taking forever to fruit and the ones that have aren't ripe at all yet. Same for my parents. Usually I have loads by july. My raspberry production seems to have stalled too, everything seems to have just given up!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

182mm of rain in Sligo so far.

Well above the previous high I had of 154mm. Still a few mm left before August attempts to outWET it. However there are 3 or 4 runs now that have shown higher pressure around August 10th.

Going to South of England so maybe there High will hang around. Not a fan of heat myself or the kids but if it were 22 to 25c that would be perfect.

Will probably be 35c in England though if High sits over us.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Rain absolutely hammering down now at Dunshaughlin, bouncing up off the ground. I've stopped counting the write off days at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wilmol

Dunsaughlin is right beside Dublin, how come it gets way more rain than Dublin? Is Dublin in some kind of own microclimate? Why does it get significantly less rain than anywhere else.

I noticed this myself so many times, the second you leave Dublin, it starts lashing.

Dublin is pretty much the driest part of the country especially close to the coast. The further west you go the wetter things become in general. Dunsany is located about 15km to my west and sometimes the rainfall totals there don't add up to what I experience just east of Dunshaughlin, Dunsany can sometimes have more rain than I would have, that 15km further west makes a difference sometimes. The other station that's closest to me is Dublin Airport and quite often there would be quite a distance between the Dunsany and Airport stations in terms of rainfall even tho they are only about 35km apart.

Gonzo on Sat we were heading to Emerald Park and lovely blue skies in NCD.

Had the kids plastered in suncream before I left all delighted with ourselves then literally as we crossed into Meath big black clouds and drizzle when we got out of car.

Well I was giving out stink, but thankfully it did turn out a relatively nice day( ha for this July) and we were lucky with some very heavy but short showers during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My raspberries are pretty much normal this year.

Tomatoes are fruiting great but not ripening yet, really hoping for some more sun in August to ripen them up. My experience is that if if not ripened by September they'll end up getting blight and be a write off.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

That second paragraph is like something from a Patrick Kavanagh poem. I enjoyed in a perverse kind of way 😁

In some stations this July is the wettest month....out of the last 40!! ...at least...

It's entirely random in Ireland which month turns out wettest isn't it. Could be a Winter month or could be a Summer month.

• Advertisement

Taking of fruit, what is with the strawberries this year? The varieties in the shops are not great and I've tried everywhere, Supervalu, Dunnes, Tesco, Aldi etc. I never remember a year when they tasted so bad.

Just not nice, only ones I did have that were amazing was out in a little shop one day in NCD supplied by local farmer, my son keeps asking me when are we getting those "real' strawberries again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Was that February 2020.

Looking at some of the graphs on Met.ie it's horrific stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Looks like getting sunny now from the west for the evening...

Ya that was a wet one. Hope August is an improvement. Hope that if I predict rakes of rain in the forecast contest I can jinx it. 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭alentejo

About to head off on my bike again in Dublin and guess what, its raining! What a awful month July has been - never been so sick of getting wet on the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The apple and blackberry crop is unreal this year. And early too.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Black dark here in SCD. I can feel the low pressure in my head.

I don't mind this weather so much, not a lot you can do about it, but I really feel sorry for those with young kids, trying to keep them entertained in the holliers must be hard. And I went for a rainy walk earlier, the rain is not the issue for me, but the feckin wind would knock you over. Then I just came home after ten minutes of buffeting.

The gloomy faces all around tell it all.

Ditto. I'm about to get destroyed from swords to fairview. Worst bike rain run of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Bye bye July 2023, I will not miss you one bit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Went on hols last 10 days of June, when it was nice here. Arrived back Jun 30th to a miserable cold and wet evening in Dublin airport. Thought "ah sure, it's still early summer". Then came July!!!!

Question, and apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere: is there a site that nicely visualises the Met weather station data so that I can avoid downloading CSVs?

Advertisement