Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coldplay - Dublin 2024 - Update Post 1 on Toutless

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭TheIrishPC

https://help.adverts.ie/hc/en-us/articles/360001284689-Forbidden-items Actually, apparently they're banned from being sold on Adverts

Same with Taylor Swift or Rugby World Cup tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Pip510

For anyone interested tickets up for sale for Budapest

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

Unfortunately some are falling for the scams. Girl on TikTok posted a video crying that she was scammed for Dublin tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Zardoz

You have to question these peoples intelligence.

Why would anyone sell tickets for this event for face value a few days after the event going on sale , they would surely have loads of friends or family they would sell to first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Can you even resell tickets for Coldplay yet? Are all tickets not digital and controlled by Ticketmaster?

I can't access my Electric Picnic tickets yet and I bought them on 10/09/2022.

Nope. But people are desperate and so scammers prey on that desperation. Despite being 13 months away people want tickets in hand, for Christmas presents, for the satisfaction that they have secured tickets etc.

I'll sporadically check Ticketmaster over the next number of months to see if any tickets show up, but I won't be panicking. I'm experienced enough going to concerts to have a calm head about these things. Electric Picnic 2024 will have people selling their Coldplay tickets anyway next year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

We got tickets for Budapest on 19 June yesterday. 3 tickets for €248. Accommodation for 3 nights in central Budapest, with breakfast and 7km from Puskas Stadium for €309. My friend got 2 Dublin tickets for €500. There is still availability in Budapest on 18 June in Section D. Go to Funcode.hu which appears to be the main official ticket outlet in Hungary. Funnily enough the accessible one is the one not using Ticketmaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Med101007

Is there a way to set up a Ticketmaster notification once new tickets are released? If not then I presume there's zero chance of getting tickets. If Ticketmaster are about to release tickets then they will notify all of their friends and family first meaning chances of being online at the precise moment they get released are very slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 milu2021

Are the dates confirmed for electric picnic 2024 or just speculation? Seems like they’d lose a lot of attendees if they had it same weekend as Coldplay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Unfortunately no way of setting up a notification. I even used to have a script that ran against the page to check for changes on the page but then ticketmasters servers copped repeated page loads and kicked it into a captcha page.

It's really just a case of being in the right place at the right time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Won’t be confirmed till after this years one. It has never been the weekend of the 6-8th so them moving it to that it will be unusual.

they are probably confident that EP is guaranteed sell out that enough who aren’t going to Coldplay

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Just got a random ticket, so they are being added.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭SimpleDimple

I’m not looking to start an argument or troll or anything like that, but I am surprised by Coldplay’s popularity and ability to sell out 4 nights in Croker instantly.

Are they really that big, it has it been the victim (or success if you look at it that way) of fomo taking over people?

For the record I’ve seen them twice and really have no issues with them, I’m just surprised they are this popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,924 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

100% marketing and hype. I'm sure there are lots of genuine Coldplay fans going to this, but I don't think Ireland has enough Coldplay fans to fill Croke Park for four nights at hundreds and hundreds of euro per ticket.

Yes and no. They are that big, they're one of the biggest bands in the world and irrespective of their more recent offerings which have received tepid responses, they have a huge built-in fanbase stretching back over 20 years.

But a lot of people will travel from abroad to see them play here so the argument that not that many people in Ireland like them that much to fill Croke Park four times over is not telling the full story.

There are definitely a contingent of 'day-tripper fans' going to it (using the term 'FOMO' to describe attendees is completely unhelpful as there are big or casual Coldplay fans that would have a 'fear of missing out' versus your day-tripper 'Hi Instagram, I'm at a gig' so they shouldn't be lumped together - and in any event a casual Coldplay fan who likes a bunch of their songs wanting to go to their gig is hardly FOMO in the derogatory sense which FOMO implies). I don't think its nearly as many as some others have inferred over the past few weeks though. The tickets are so expensive and you had to sign-up to Coldplay's mailing list in advance to even get into the sale so realistically, anyone who woke up from last Monday onwards suddenly wanting to go the gig really had no chance of tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mr321

Alot of people are comparing this sell out to the likes of Garth Brooks.

Garth Brooks was mainly Irish people looking to get tickets and go.

Before the 2 extras dates were added for Coldplay it had a massive European and Asia cohort of people looking to get the Dublin dates.

The numbers in the queues were Worldwide. Chances very slim.

They do put on some show in fairness to them love or hate their music.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,924 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Are they really that big though?

If you have a look through the 'Most Streamed Artists on Spotify' they were once in the top 5 back in 2014 and have never been in the top 5 since.

They don't even make the top 10 in the other stats.

There are bands on that list that are far more listened to in general who haven't had nearly the same level of competition to get tickets.

I do agree with you that there's a huge interest in seeing them, but this level of fever to get tickets akin to Beatlemania has to be something beyond their usual fanbase size.

Spotify streams are not in isolation reliably indicative of how popular a band is. Conversely Taylor Swift was the second most streamed female in 2017 and couldn't sell more than 1.5 Croke Parks.

I don't think that fever to get tickets is not beyond their usual fanbase size. Take another (admittedly awful) metric, Instagram follows. They've 24 million followers, a lot of whom will try to see them multiple times, and not of all their fans are on Instagram, and not all of their fans who are on there, follow them on Instagram.

I do agree with you entirely though that hype has made this a bigger event than it is, and so has the new Ticketmaster waiting system. People are talking about it more because they spent eight hours queueing twice when maybe two years ago they would have been sold out after 30 minutes and they'd have shrugged and moved on with their lives. Now people are more affronted that they spent so long trying to get tickets.

So yeah you are 100% right that there is an air and fever of Beatlemania hype to this gig (and Taylor Swift) that the media are driving relentlessly with a very "Did YOU get lucky getting a ticket" (or running competitions for a €200 ticket as if it was the lottery) as if getting a ticket is more the goal than actually seeing the band 😂

Either way, its a bit mad and their sold out gig back in 2017 went much lower on the radar for some reason, which when you consider how little they've done since, is strange.

Thanks for your reply. And yes you’re correct in saying that I shouldn’t have put the more casual fans in with the crowd who are going for the purpose of social media selfies etc., i didn’t mean to offend any true fans!

• Advertisement

Haha I didn't mean it to come across like that about offending Coldplay's fanbase. I can't imagine that their hardcore fans are that assertive or easily offended. 😊

It was more that there is definitely a 'FOMO' element for some casual (or even historical) fans which is ok but also a 'FOMO' element for those who couldn't bear not being able to tell their Instagram followers that they aren't there 😂

that’s the crux of my question. I can’t help but feel that the surge for tickets was the result of some great marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

They've got fans from all walks of life at this stage which massively boosts the popualrity. When you have Garth or Taylor it tends to be a smaller cohort of the public interested. With Coldplay you've....

1. The indie fans from the Parachute/X&Y/Rush of Blood days.
    2. Modern fans who have been hearing their earworms on radio playlists for the past 10 years, or through Spotify.
    3. Concert fans who were impressed with the lights show.
    4. Heck even my 6 years old likes them from watching Sing for 3 years in a row.

Add to that the no UK dates on this tour leg and it builds up to a huge demand

• Registered Users Posts: 26 keith06

I got good tickets today on ticketmaster, paid a big price for 2 tickets but delighted with the seats so come show time I know I'll be delighted I paid the extra but anyone looking for tickets keep checking, there's tickets still out there and are randomly appearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 auntieo

What time did you get them if you don’t mind me asking. I’ve been checking all day but no luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

August next year there'll be loads of tickets going for this. Just like there was for Garth Brooks, you couldn't give tickets away in the 2 weeks before the gigs.

It's dumb people being sucked into the hype. If you go on spotify and look at most streamed artists for Ireland Coldplay are nowhere. Probably because they've been rubbish for a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

Spotify doesn’t mean much when it comes to concerts. Some of the biggest acts on there wouldn’t fill a stadium here.

U2 are not in the top 50 streamed artist list, they'd easily fill Croke Park a few times over if they announced a few gigs. Garth Brooks isn't on Spotify, he sold it out 5 times. Bad Bunny is the third most streamed artist and he'd probably struggle to fill the 3Arena here (despite his immense talent I should add).

You can't draw any conclusions from Spotify streams.

Of course there'll be some tickets available next year, some people won't be able to go by the time the gig rocks around, happens for every gig, so there will be some floating about.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

It's more my significant other who is the Coldplay fan, I don't mind them, but I do love a good concert experience. I've seen lots of clips and there is no doubt that you'll be well entertained at such a gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 keith06

Just checked around half 3 and premium tickets appeared and the other half was desperate to go so just took them cause they were such good seats.

I agree it's all hype and there will be loads of tickets the closer the show gets but sometimes when tickets are dangled in front of you and the clock is counting down before they release the tickets all sensible reasoning leaves you. Seen coldplay a few times now and the whole show is a spectical.

Advertisement