Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Hadn't really considered how easy the ABs group was because I couldn't see past the fact France were there and then the QFs were so tough. Feel a bit sorry for Italy as they've been making some progress and in the right group, they would have had a real shot at making the QFs for the first time. But there is no way they're beating the ABs or France in their home RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

As well as NZ, South Africa have a nice draw too. Scotland first up, then a handy one against Romania (rest all their players) then against Ireland before facing an already (one assumes) eliminated Tonga with a second string team.

Luck of the draw has a real impact. Not just the opposition but how those games fall in terms of scheduling. Having a nice schedule to allow front liners rest up any knocks or focus on games further down the line is a big boost.

I don't think it's a massive coincidence that the winners of the last 5 tournaments (since it went to 5 team pools) has had a second tier opponent drubbing in their final game with their first choice players mostly resting up/training for the knock outs.

2003: England 111-13 Uruguay

2007: South Africa 64-15 United States

2011: New Zealand 79-15 Canada

2015: New Zealand 47-9 Tonga

2019: South Africa 66-7 Canada

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Game week- Italy is a horrible assignment for the lads. Nitty gritty and a lose lose (it's only Italy tag) outcome can be tricky. McCloskey Henshaw to start at centre, crowley and Murray at 9 10. Prendagast and Coombes, Henderson. Hoping to see a phoenix that will carry form into the WC. Maybe a crowley or dare to dream, a Stockdale!!! Debate starter. Aki is a nailed on 12 come the massive games

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Shehal

Ireland have a rest week the game before their final game which will equally be useful.

When I look at France the last 18 months I keep getting the impression that if you swapped them with Ireland and Ireland got those same results and performances the media and rugby public would be saying Ireland peaked a year too early. Obviously no chance this will be ever said about the media and fans golden goose but I think it just show's how alot of people are just believing what they choose to believe.

• Advertisement

I guarantee you not one team will be fielding a second string against tonga and Scotland first up for South Africa is a Banana skin.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

England, France and New Zealand got an actual rest in 2019 though with their last group games cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Scotland have beaten SA just once in the last 20 years. And that was 13 years ago. For all their “we can beat anyone” talk lately there are a few teams that they have really poor records against, namely New Zealand, South Africa and Ireland. They’ve just 2 wins against all 3 sides in the last decade, both being against us in 2013 and 2017. And technically that 2013 win was more than a decade ago now.

They aren’t the banana skin some make out. Even during our disastrous 2019 year we beat them twice. By 9 points in Edinburgh and then by 24 points in Yokohama. Their average loss over the last 10 years against SA is 21.5 points. Only once in that time did they get within a score of SA. And SAs poor form was right in the middle of all of that.

Really? A team ranked 5th! Is not a Banana skin?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Not for these teams no.

I have no idea how Scotland are 5th, but I'm sure their ritual one good game against England goes a long way towards it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

The reason there's a narrative about Ireland peaking too soon is because we have form for it. We've done it the last 4 World Cup cycles. It's up to us to put that to bed this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Yes I could be wrong but I just really thought that when Retallick and Whitelock came up against Ryan and Beirne last year they struggled badly and looked leggy. My eye has been drawn to the significant improvement in the NZ backrow this championship above all else. Fair enough Barrett has played well this championship but I'm not sure you would say he's the form lock in the world!? I've always had in my head he is backrower playing lock.

True but its quite evidently clear at this point that things are a lot different with this team and yet a-lot of the rugby fans and media aren't even interested in considering its any other narrative other than the one they created, its almost like they are in complete denial.

Is Ireland or South Africa gonna put out second string teams against the basket case scots

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭VayNiice

Even with all the France hype this year, I really feel if we get them in the QF I'd back Ireland to win.

I wouldn't take anything from leinsters loss to LAR. Without Skelton, Botia, Kerr Barlow etc it'd be a different game altogether. And there's no fear of the Toulouse players amongst this Irish team.

I doubt it. And Scotland will be handsomely beaten in both games.

If anything the Toulouse Leinster game is probably a more accurate comparison as France play a lot more similarly to them (also the majority of the French spine are Toulouse players).

Your confident the scots are shite.

I disagree but only time will tell. How far do expect Ireland to go in this WC?

Yes, I'm confident the Scots are shite. But beyond that I'm confident they are particularly bad when playing Ireland and South Africa, which is why they have won 1/13 and 0/6 against those teams in the last decade. And the last time they won outside Scotland was 2010 and never. In our disastrous 2019 World Cup we hammered them by 24 points.

I expect there is a significant chance we go out at the QF stage, otherwise I think we'll make the final.

I wouldn't say the Scots are shite but I would still say if us or SA were to lose to them Scotland would need to have the game of their life and IRL/SA would need to have an off day. At this stage I'd almost say they have a better chance against SA as judging by recent form SA are looking lethargic and for the most part look past their best plus judging by Scotland over this cycle they tend to start the 6N very strong and then fade as it goes on, it could be the case that they play their cup final against SA and then by the Ireland game they start showing the usual weakness they've shown in all those 6N campaigns.

• Advertisement

I don't really think it's necessarily true that Scotland start the 6N very strong. Its hard to tell because they have started the last 3 seasons with the exact same fixture list (which is bizarre) of England, Wales, France. Scotland always seem to save their best game for England, they are competitive against Wales cause Wales are dreadful at the moment and then they lose to France. 2021 being a bit of an exception where they actually beat France but lost to Wales. But one consistent through it all is that they lost to Ireland. I would have been worried at that point to be fair, but Scotland have gotten worse since.

Shite is harsh, and I wouldn't have used it myself without prompting, but they are not very good and while they are almost the epitome of a team capable of one-off performances that seems to only be true against certain teams. The mess behind the scenes with Hogg can hardly be helping.

That's some good stats man. Not sure Ireland will be depending on those when it comes to a do or die clash.

If previous performances dictates future outcomes then how the hell did Munster beat Leinster in a semi final in the Aviva???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Scotland do always seem to save their best performance for England, which has some logic to it.

The one I always found odd was that during the 2010’s, even when France were poor, they always seemed to save their best performance for us?

Maybe green tinted specs, but was my impression for a few years anyways. That 2014 title under Schmidt was fairly tense / scramble at the end of it. We’ve come a long way even since then.

Cause Leinster put out a second team and still only lost by a point.

You are welcome to think that Scotland are a potential issue for Ireland, but I'm not sure what its based on considering 4 months ago we eventually easily beat them in Murrayfield while putting a prop at hooker and having a flanker throw into the lineout. Though I'm still a bit annoyed we missed out on the BP...

Ultimately, it's sport, and you play the game for a reason. But while the Irish management won't be relying on stats, I highly doubt they're overly worried either.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Absolutely criminal Healy was let go play for the Scotch. It will be regretted in a big way

Deleted

Well unlike Leinster against Munster, Ireland won't put out a second string team against Scotland...

I'm unsure whether it was the French saving their best for us, or an element of us panicking at the sight of the French. That being said, the two draws at the end of the Kidney reign were some of the weirder matches. We then won 6/7 under Schmidt which has to have massively helped any underlying inferiority complex about facing the French.

I find these dynamics in sport quite interesting, cause they don't necessarily make much logical sense but very much appear to be real.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

There was the weirdness of the abandoned game, with a full stadium amongst that as well.

I remember looking at the stats before and iirc France won close to all the previous 10 meetings before the drawn games we won the 6/7 you mentioned under Schmidt after.

It’s akin the All Blacks, once the psychological barrier was gone, it’s no surprise we beat them a number of times since Solider Field.

I honestly think the same will happen with regards the RWC once we eventually get past a QF. And it will happen.

• Advertisement

Don't think you fully appreciate what a banna skin is. And your dismissive view of Scotland proves my point. Of course South Africa and Ireland will be odds on but the unpredictable nature of Scotland (a team ranked 5th) causes me unease. The first round they take on South Africa who like you said, should win handsomely. I predict this will be a sticky one for South Africa who haven't really caught fire as of yet. I will agree to disagree 😜

Advertisement