Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I have a smart meter and gas. Is the bwg staff or community deal the best to go for? Or water power?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pekarirska

Flogas for gas.

If your electricity bill is mcc02 Flogas.

If your bill is mcc01 there are two options. Waterpower variable is cheaper. But most people here prefer to lock themselves into currently slightly more expensive offer from Flogas, which is guaranteed for one year.

If your bill is mcc16 Flogas.

Waterpower Variable is available by email.

Flogas Community through Google or this thread. Not all Flogas customer care operators are aware of the Community offer or (if aware) won't facilitate it through the phone channel. Mcc16 being an exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭askU

Can someone with a SMART meter sign up for Night Saver Meter rate with Flogas?

Flogas community rate:

Cheers for the advice everyone and @con747

Got my FIT and they've way overestimated my actual usage so will be in credit for a while yet at least

Happy to be corrected but no. It's one of the reasons they are not forcing people on night rates to swap to smart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭CoBo55

No. You need to get a day night meter, at the moment esbn aren't installing them as they're planning on replacing the existing day night meters with a self reading smart version but they aren't available until September. There's none of the old type in stock for installation, that's what I was told when I contacted esbn. Also, make absolutely certain you never activate your smart meter, if you do you're stuck on smart meter plans forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭askU

Thanks for the replies.

My meter is MCC12?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

Just for reference, I'll be switching to this plan in September. Hopefully it lasts until then.

My current rates with Bord Gais are practically the same, at 34c day/ 17c night,and Gas at 8.5c, but that's with 33% off standard prices, so a decent saving to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

Buddy of mine got a day-night meter installed in the past month or so. Arranged via Flogas, his supplier. There had been an old 24hr meter in the house when he bought it. House has been rewired, and meter was installed outside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I just rang FloGas to ask about the community plan and the guy told me that it's only available to employees of specific companies and you need a company employee number to avail of the offer. Are the people here getting out without a company number? Or are you making it up etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

Sign up online. There is no requirement for an employee number. No restrictions on who can sign up are stated on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭ECookie13

Anyone else receive their "welcome" letter from flogas but still cannot log in to the flogas account, days later?

Or does it usually take a few days to process?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭bren2001

I would just be of the view that if BGE made a loss in Q1, it is very likely that other companies did as well. Hence, it is unlikely that prices will come down this side of Christmas. I know you expect price drops relatively soon and I agree that if one company drops prices, they all have too. BGE are not stuck for cash, their parent company made £2 billion profit in the UK. They can absorb any loss they want to retain customers.

FloGas and WaterPower still the obvious companies to switch too.

So can you sign up to the community deal if you have a smart meter, it doesn't have any option for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

No option listed online for it as far as I can see. And I've tried the various links which have been posted here, none mention smart meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

You can sign up to the 24hr tariff or dual fuel with a smart meter, a meter that's not yet activated.

Smart Plan I can't find this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I had to ring them, it was up and running a few minutes later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

I believe most suppliers had a tough year, but I wouldn't draw conclusions from this with regards to pricing.

If I remember correctly, the breakdown of your electricity bill in terms of what's paying for wholesale energy, network, taxes/levies, and supplier, is on average just 6% covers the supplier's costs and profit. So, the supplier's net profit is typically in the order of 1% of your bill.

When considering price changes or discounts, broadly speaking we're talking 10%-50%, so in effect, the fact that a supplier made a net loss of 1% or a record profit of 2% has no significant impact on that decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

I understand this community plan from flogas is very popular and indeed compared to what EI will "offer" me from next week is very good.

(BTW if anyone is looking for the value reward scheme price release from EI - here it is https://www.electricireland.ie/docs/price-plans/residential/2022/1022_pp_vr_elec.pdf)- basically day rates 43.7c and night rates 21.6c. Standing charges 133c/day(rural) - all inc VAT and 5.5% discount included

I am just unsure why there is not too much talk about the waterpower offering - I saw a few posts but discussion seemed to have died down?

Rate wise it is good, it seems fair ( as in tracking up and downs in wholesale market) and in case the mad 40% discounts come back, or increases hit again, you can easily switch over as you are not locked in at all.

Their June prices were 29.1c day rates, 21.8 night rates and 87.2c standing charge - all incl 9% VAT.

Granted their night rates are not top competitive, but the main advantage to me would be a)not being locked in for a year and b) you get instant lower prices when wholesale electricity goes down ( with of course the other side of the medal, they will go up quicker too) c) supporting an innovative player in this market.

So, is there something else I am missing, before I make the switch ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Go with Waterpower variable tracker rate. No contract, no exit fee. They do need documentation

people are scared to make the switch to something new like a variable rate billing system i suspect

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

OK, just submitted last piece of documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Switched two weeks ago to BWG flogas offer, was with Energia, they rang to try convince me to stay, but nothing near what BWg was offering. When I had them on the phone I asked about being hit with the 50E breaking contract fee, told me it would not be applied, however they did apply it and were not for taking it off when contacted about same.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

People are pricing in the risk and rightly so.

"Their June prices were 29.1c day rates, 21.8 night rates and 87.2c standing charge - all incl 9% VAT."

BWG fixers have similar or better rates than above, locked in for a year. Convenience is worth it to many, myself included.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 zarker

Has anyone here switched to waterpower (residencial consumar with smart meter)? What's the easier way to switch to them?

There doesn't seem to be a webpage to switch. I try calling their number on website (029 50568) and it goes to a automated answer. Should I send them an email?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Does waterpower not show their current rates on their website? Seems worrying, this sort of stuff should be automated. It should not require you to email them.

• Advertisement

if you are worried then jump on flogas

the last 12 month or 18 months were shared on this thread previously, it is a small company and looks like they keep costs down with the website they have

Advertisement