Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭hometruths

We know they exist because the C SO have counted them.

And we know they are not/have not been listed on daft, otherwise we would have noticed them.

Do you disagree with either of the above statements?

And if not, why is it nonsensical to claim that these properties exist but are not listed on daft?

I agree it seems like it defies reason in the midst of a housing crisis, but that is what the data is inarguably telling us.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You have been arguing for a while now that we don't have a supply shortage. Are you now saying we do have a supply shortage?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There are over 20k people on the Fair Deal scheme alone btw. So whip them off whatever number you are using.

Regardless, what you are talking about is irrelevant. If people are hypothetically deciding not to rent out or sell properties, then by all means hit them with a vacant property tax, but the real solution is still to build more houses. If you want to buy or rent a property, houses that are vacant but not on the market might as well not exist. They are irrelevant.

I have consistently said we have a shortage of supply available for sale or rent on the market.

The evidence for that is very clear.

But that is not the same thing as a shortage of total housing stock.

I have seen no evidence of a shortage of total housing stock.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You literally said 'Our excess supply is not enough to fix our shortage of supply' in a previous post.

• Advertisement

If you want to buy or rent a property, houses that are vacant but not on the market might as well not exist. They are irrelevant.

Yet curiously these people who think vacant properties might as well not exist believe that house s that have not been built yet are the solution.

Existing houses might as well not as exist, let's pin all our hopes on the non existent houses.

Fair enough, I just think I'd have a slightly different view if I needed to buy or rent a house right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,654 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Vacancy discussion is to go here. And never back on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Can people please put up any recent mortgage rates they have been offered by banks? I'm seeing 3.1% being advertised on AIBs website but there is no way that is up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

In terms of fixed rates I think the BoI 4yr green rate of 3.65% (accounts for recent increase) is lowest fixed I have seen but no cash back on that.

CCPC website has very good comparison tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Blut2

Interesting article in the Journal today on the housing numbers: https://www.thejournal.ie/housing-targets-6132292-Jul2023/

Some highlights:

"A recently published report, commissioned by Fianna Fáil MEP Barry Andrews and carried out by Brussels-based group Housing Europe, lays out a critical piece of the puzzle. Looking at the period between 2011 and 2022, it estimates Ireland should have built 345,000 homes to meet demand. Instead, just 163,000 were delivered – leaving a shortfall of 182,000.

This matches up with estimates from the Central Bank. In a report published in 2019, the organisation said Ireland should have built about 27,000 homes a year to meet demand. But what we actually built was an average of 10,500 homes per year, leaving a big gap which has been growing every year.

The problem is, while everyone knows this, it isn’t factored into the Housing for All estimates. “They look at it fresh every year,” says Dara Turnbull, the author of the Housing Europe report. “They assume, in year one of the housing plan, that everyone who needs a house has one. They don’t say ‘We’re basing this on population growth, plus the 182,000 that we also need.

So the result of this is that even if the government hits its Housing for All targets, there would still be a shortfall of 182,000 homes which was never addressed. “It’s fundamental,” Turnbull says.

[...]

Unpublished research by the Housing Commission, first reported in the Irish Times earlier this year, suggested Ireland should actually be aiming for between 42,000 and 62,000 homes annually."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I love how they think you can just decide to build a few dozen thousand extra houses :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

I already have

all the data supports a housing shortage

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Im sure they don't think that - but if the state aims for only half of whats needed, then we will never build enough.

If they at least aimed for 60k, it could be a decade before output reaches that point. But if the States own target are 30k we will never see investment in construction sector enough so that we hit 60k per annum as required.

It doesnt matter what the state aims for. They can only build whatever amount of houses they can build at a maximum rate. And our maximum rate is nowhere near what it needs to be., In fact id say its not much higher than we are at now.

The problem here is that they let it go on too long. Its like if you had a leak in your boat and you start bailing with buckets straight away and you have another couple of buckets you ncrease the rate you are bailing. You can keep control of it. If you wait to have a smoke before you start bailing you will be so far behind you will never ever catch up. That is where i believe we are now at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If you are happy with your boat being half full of water, then keep using your smaller bucket and you might keep the boat from sinking.

If you want to empty it totally you better get a bigger bucket. Thats where we are at - we cannot possibly ramp up building enough because the state isnt trying to go beyond 30k houses a year.

The State's target will dictate what supports and other methods are used to increase capacity in construction sector. If the state are happy with construction sector making 30k year, the industry will not expand much more unless that state revise their targets first.

Big numbers going in Accenture job cuts.

Not directly property market related, but arguably could be indirectly related if others are similarly hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 dubliner10

That’s sad. Huge layoffs at firms like Meta and Google here are now starting to impact consulting firms. This is likely to trickle down to their suppliers in turn and more layoffs.

Companies still making huge profits and in a rat race to copy each other and keep their stocks up. Sad for the workers.

To go back to the original point. There is no bigger bucket. The buckets are too small. Where are we going to find a bigger one. Never mind that the water is coming in way, way faster than the volume of the buckets we have.

Its gone too far. We can try as hard as we like, and im not saying we shouldnt, but we will never, ever catch up at this stage now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

This should not come as a surprise. Accenture expanded its workforce by 20% in the space of one year during the pandemic. They were always going to experience a delayed impact as a result of the tech slowdown, which itself seems to have passed at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Bakharwaldog

To say we can't build more than 30k a year is massively defeatist. There is no reason why this is impossible. But there are barriers. If we address the barriers there is nothing stopping us.

The main barrier (as I see it) is probably labour shortages. The way this can be solved is to incentivise people to get into construction, de-incentivise other areas. This could be through tax credits, fully funded apprenticeships, reduced funding for non-construction sector college courses, direct state contracts, publicity campaign for careers in the industry, fully funded conversion courses etc. Import labour by loosening visa requirements for those in construction sector, restrict visa requirements for other sectors, bonus payment for those who come, ability to bring family members, tax breaks for workers. Other things that could be done are look at where the labour bottle necks are and see if there are ways to optimise them - are there too few in certain trades, is a lot of time wasted by waiting on state bodies, are there planning or capital issues that slow projects down. Is the construction labour force tied up in other areas that don't solve this emergency (home renovation, hotel and office construction, infrastructure construction etc.). Can we remove all grants for home renovation, "ban" hotel and office construction and really look at which infrastructure projects we take on versus solving housing crisis.

There are other areas too - planning process, capital, developers sitting on land/properties etc.

There is nothing stopping the government actively targeting these challenges. But step one would have to be admitting the problem (too few houses and targets not ambitious enough) and then figuring out the barriers to getting scale we need (labour, capital), then introducing schemes to remove these barriers.

Not admitting the problem is the worst thing we can do.

This is how you might solve the problem. I 100% believe that FG an FF know this. But that they do not want to solve this problem due to the impact it will have on the house prices of their core voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Blut2

So your solution is to just give up? Thats absolute nonsense.

We were building up to 90,000 housing units a year in the mid 2000s, at a time when the country had 20% fewer people in it than we do now. That was obviously too many, but it shows that the current goal of 30,000 units a year is absolutely not a hard ceiling.

It won't happen over night, but over a medium term period of 3-8 years we can absolutely increase the number of yearly completions massively if the right policies are put in place. It just requires a government that decides to actually do this.

Do you have any other examples of obvious large layoffs that we should expect in the near future?

Just a very rough idea of the timeline and numbers involved e.g. X workers to be laid off in Facebook in 2024 etc.

Perhaps even an idea of numbers for any other similar consulting firms that we should see in the near future?

Where did I say give up? I think i actually said the opposite.

But its time to get real. We are not going to catch up now. The ball was well and truly dropped for years and the damage is done.

It takes a woman 9 months to have a baby. 9 women wont give you a baby in 1 month. You should have thought of that 9 months ago. Aint going to catch up.

Isnt it not long since we had the same tax suggestions about IT workers?

Or teachers living in Dublin.

Or Gardai.

Not going to happen.

Wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Meta/Facebook are hiring actively again, I am signed up to their jobs emails and they are packed lately.

Shopify are still contracting, however the general theme there is a move towards automation and AI having an impact more so. Stripe also seem to be hiring again after layoffs. I would not be surprised if Twitter/X go bust this year, with the way it is going, it is not exactly bringing confidence to investors or to revenue generation.

Tech overall now seems to be pretty steady, I work is a fairly niche area of it and we are still growing with strong numbers and forecasts to back it up. It is pretty anecdotal, my thoughts on this would be that companies with larger debt on their sheets were the ones in trouble, plus the demand for certain services dropped off after Covid was "over".

The size of the layoffs seems to also be dwindling, this is probably down to restructuring as much as anything.

I am by no means an expert but from talking to peers in other companies, this seems to be the trend so far.

As a side to this, I am currently home for a trip. My folks live in a nice Dublin suburb and I have never seen so many houses for sale in the area ever, it is properly wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Bakharwaldog

All of these things are possible. They might be difficult but if there was will they could be implemented. I don't really understand why you think they are impossible? I'm assuming you are so jaded with decades of lack of progress in key areas that you find it hard to believe anything can be done to solve things. I can understand that.

I am a realist. Wishful thinking will get you nowhere. The time it was possible, if it was started on time was years ago.

Tell us how the government are going to get 100,000 houses a year built, because they will need to exceed that, starting tomorrow to catch up in the next decade or two. Maybe they can bring in conscription and force the younger generation into the building trades. Train them all up in a few weeks and we are off an running.

Sorry, but i dont see it. Im not jaded in the least. Ive been pointing this out for years. Same as ive been pointing out the continuing fcuk up to the rental market and the constant things they are doing to help that are obviously going to make it worse for the last 10 years. And guess what it has got worse. Every single time they intervened to make it better, they made it worse. And then they kept doubling down on it.

No, sorry, i dont see us making the housing situation better the way we are going. and I dont see us being able to change direction enough, let alone fast enough to fix it either.

Maybe we can stick in a tax here or there and that will solve it :) Thats about all they are good for. Never solves anything though does it.

Then go through all of the housing ministers going back 10 or even 15 years. What makes anyone think another one will be any different to the rest of the populist liars and idiots that have come before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Is it Malahide the Dublin suburb you are talking about?

Living the life

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I don't, sorry.

Do you have any timeline when the global economic system is going to collapse, or the property market for that matter?

Advertisement