Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Limerick are an absolutely brilliant team , I never said they weren’t. But the rules are going to change even people on here have accepted it. I know Cian Lynch and his teammates know no other way this stemmed from there academies. The thing is where is it all going to end. I realise every team is looking for an edge, but the rule’s cannot be broken.Am I right in saying that. Will they lure players in from other counties for bigger bucks or better jobs .I went over the top the last few days and wish to apologise if I offended anyone. I’m like John Millane “I luvs me county “ yesterday I was trying to highlight about the football and the lack of funding we get for it and compared to a weak hurling counties but the wrong side of it was taken up a few years ago Pat Spillane questioned our commitment to football when we were consistently at the bottom of division 4 . But he didn’t offer to help us only slate us. When Offaly made there breakthrough they were lauded for what they achieved with only 10 senior clubs. KK have 12 senior clubs. Someone said I have no involvement with the GAA that I didn’t know anything about the amount of coaching staff, I do know that the GAA mustn’t think there’s a crisis in Kilkenny football. We only got Michael Fennelly on board this year as a full time coaching officer maybe I’m wrong again I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 longcovid

I watched the game back the other night. Went through it pretty much frame by frame (I know , sad, nearly ended in divorce). Anyway on the day watching it live I thought that we were hard done by on calls in the first half. I also wanted to review the throwing by both sides. I thought it interesting that Kyle Hayes said after the match that it was important that they got their ‘passing’ game going in the second half. This is my review of the game. Maybe I’m being biased . Don’t get me wrong I think Limerick deserved it in the end… 6.02 - o’donoghue frontal charge on tom phelan - then lesser frontal charge by mullen on O’Donoghue - free Limerick?

7:32 tom morrisey throw to Barry Nash - Nash tackled by TJ- free limerick

8:47 Tom Morrisey - throw

10:48 - free to Casey - not a free just held up - Gillane points

12:00 Kyle Hayes throw

12:01 Barry Nash - throw

12:03 Tom Morrisey - throw - does this lad ever make a legit handpass

17:34 - Cian Lynch free - why?

20:00 - Can Lynch  free ?

23: 00 - jersey tug on Cian Lynch - legit free

25:52 - Eoin Cody free - ? soft

30:00  - free Cian Lynch Legit

31:41 - Mike casey throw

31:43 - Darragh O’Donovan throw

31:44 - legit hand pass  from Gillane to lynch - point

33:09 - Lynch looked like a throw

36:39 - Barry Nash throw

36:40 Tom Morissey throw

36:43 Kyle hayes  throw

36:49 Cian lynch Throw

Tom Morrisey points - from a move that consisted of four blatant throws

second half - keenan throws the ball in on the limerick side? isn’t meant to be in the middle?

36:17 - Dan Morrisey throw

37:14 - Cian Lynch throw

37:30- free Hegarty for chop down - Donnelly got the ball? - 38:16 - Byrnes points from resulting free 

38:43 - free against Tom Phelan - for what?

40:44 - free Kilkenny Flanagan knee in Deegans back

41:46 - Tom Phelan (not Clear but probably) throw for Paddy Deegans goal

42:48 - Tom Morrisey throw

42:49 - Will O’Donoghue Throw

43:01 - great point from Casey

43:25 - Limerick throw - Casey -  to Nash Points

44;10 - Hegarty good point

44:49 - Tom Morrisey  - throw

44:58 - Darragh O’Donovan soft free

45:42 - Byrnes scores from resultant free

46:48 - Mossy slips when TJ Passed - game lost right there

46:58 - Gillane - great point

48:05 - free for cody - several high tackles on him and mossy -

48:34 - Tj scores it

48:57 - Tom Morrisey buys a soft free - if he didn’t’t get it he threw the ball to a teammate anyway

49:47 - Byrnes scores the free - all level again - 2-11 to 17

50:08 - Byrnes throw to Hegarty

50:40 - good point Darragh O’Donovan

50:54 - David Reidy Throw

51:14 - Barry Nash throw (maybe the slightest separation but not a clear separation)

51:15 - Tom Morrisey throw

51:16 - Dan Morrisey throw

51:18 - Kyle Hayes Throw

51:26 - Gillane gets a very soft free

watch the replay of this sequence - throw , throw, throw - soft free.

52:20 - Gillane points the free

52:47 - Hayes wins a free - soft again

53:00 - Byrnes scores from quickly taken free by Hegarty -great score from that distance. 

53:30 - Casey shouldered out over the sideline by Ryan - why is that a free?

54:40 - Byrnes Points the free - 2-11 to 21 points

55:35 - Free on Mullen by Hayes - push in the back

55:57 - TJ scores free

56:32 - Alan Murphy throw

56:33 - John Donnelly points - 2:13 to 21 points

58:13 - Goal chance KK - 65 ball for KK not given 

58:31 - Hegarty scores from a quick puck out as KK protest. Puck out should not have been allowed - players inside he 21 - 2 point swing 

59:07 - Mullen Point from play

59:51 - Casey - fantastic point

60:01 - Kyle Hayes - great point

62:13 - Limerick in full flow now — Casey great point

62:50 - Casey Again - from the sideline - great point

63:41 - This was the best point of the game from Cathal O’Neill. Beat several KK defenders and knocked it over from the sideline. 

64:39 - Reidy another great point.

67:42 - TJ scores a 65 after his brother Ritchie dropped it into the square looking for a goal

KK only going for goals now. 

69:59 - Alan Murphy misses a goal chance after a fantastic pass from TJ

70:47 - Casey Point

72:51 - Cian Lynch throw

72:52 - Cathal O’neil another fantastic point. - Game over

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭High bike

Sweet mother of Jesus I need to lie down after that

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

• Advertisement

Well done longcovid hard job to do.slated by others but probably don’t want to know the hard facts also our three or four men who were going well were targeted with fairly harsh tackles, tell me I’m so wrong again look at tackles on TJ, Cody, Diego and Tom Phelan I know you’re going to say on the edge I say over the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Does anyone have any insight into underage hurling in Kilkenny? Any special talents on the way or is there a special group on the way? After 4 All Ireland losses plus getting our arse handed to us each year at underage level (apart from the u20 win last year), I'm hopeful there's a special group on the way. I know Harry Shine is touted as a special talent, let's hope his size and he seems to be injury prone doesn't hold him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Even if they were over the edge what about it..ask jj /tommy/ noel hickey/ Jackie Tyrrell about the edge.. when we were in our pomp we cheered them on for being close to or over the edge..

No successful intercounty defender is a Saint..and of course a teams best players will be targeted..

I do agree about the thrown handpasses but unfortunately every team is at it and it's not going anywhere..my young lads are hurling u15 and there is plenty of it happening in matches there too..very rarely blown

We will have to wait a few weeks for the competitions to begin. I heard the U15s were good but were knocked out by Cork last week. Both 15s and 16s bet Waterford in challenges yesterday. I don’t think Harry is good enough to progress much further I hope I’m wrong. Jake Mullen is not a bad prospect.

Ahh I know it sounds a bit like whingeing and I thought twice about posting that. Anyone’s welcome to dispute each of those points. Last point ( I’m sure the Limerick lads will have a pop again) Mullin was poleaxed by a forearm straight to the head after he laid off the ball to Phelan for one point. The Ref gave O’Donoghue a yellow but if he saw it which he obviously did that’s a red. Ask Richie Hogan.

• Advertisement

Far from a red. Limerick would have still won pulling up. As someone else said it was men against boys for most of the 2nd half

• Registered Users Posts: 14 njcat

Endurance wins for Dublin and Limerick indicate to me that our S&C development needs to focus on endurance & athletic development.

Hopefully we sponsor Mick Fennelly and maybe Michael Rice ( Lyng too busy) to do a study and report on best practices. Start with Dublin imo but look also at Limerick, Clare and other games especially rugby academies (physical sport) in Ireland, England and France.

Another key ingredient imo is a cohort of 100+ players willing to work at it from age 15; and they need to enjoy the experience. Our great successes in the Brian Cody era came from the large cohorts of skillful young players from 1998 through 2004. Those players drove each other to great athletic heights like Dublin and Limerick today.

Unless we address the athletic deficit at all levels we won’t win another All Ireland in the next 50 years because a new bar has been set in all Irish field sports.

A bit of help from Croke park and we could have been there today

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Might be a silly question, but do the Kilkenny team get access to a sport psychologist like the Limerick team do?

Very manly to forearm a man in the side of the head when he doesn’t see it coming. Red all day long

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Watching the three Dublin lads win 9 All -Ireland medal’s today made me think of the unbelievable achievements of our players over the years and particularly the wonderful achievements of Brian Cody’s teams and players.

We have 13 players with 8 All -Ireland medals or more, 5 players with 9 medals or more and of course Henry Shefflin with an incredible 10 medals.

It’s an amazing set of statistics and achievements really and we were so lucky to be around to witness it and be part of it.

Post edited by Charlie69 on

The two teams were out on their feet yesterday that was not the case in the hurling final.thats what I was trying to allude to last week that I thought the two teams would be fairly near on fitness levels this kind of proves my point really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

I agree with you. It's an amateur sport and one would think there wouldn't be much of a gap in fitness terms between teams. We had examples with the hurling semi finalists where Galway, Kilkenny and Clare were at similar levels of fitness. Limerick were a good bit ahead of Galway and then Kilkenny.

Our coaching panel should assess how Limerick reach those levels. If it is practicable to implement a similar fitness regime here, well and good, but not at the expense of flogging our players. They have a life and jobs to do outside of hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 njcat

I agree that players should not flogged in trying to compete with Limerick. Above all the game has to be fun and enjoyable.

IMO, it’s large cohorts who develop a higher standard; a few improve significantly and the rest work to match them without even realizing they are stretching themselves more than if they were doing it alone or in small groups. Shefflin, Hickey, Kavanagh and Lyng from the 2000 win were great when Martin Fogarty developed the 2003/4 u21 winner brigade. Plus Ballyhale-Carrickshock-Village-OLG rivalries were at their peak.

I wonder whether a focus on sprint training (20-40-60-100 yds) over an hour with reduced recovery intervals would do the job. Wexford are doing something right because they are beating us in the last 10 mins at every underage level. Maybe we could check them out.

If these fitness regimes cost serious money then we are gone and hurling ability will dwindle, I hate comparisons but the wealthiest team in the premiership wins the trophy sooner rather than later.I might be a bit naive on this subject but I thought you could only get so fit and after that it’s only topping it up. This Limerick team keep breaking world records, how or why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Greensoup

Jp McManus has been limerick GAA sponsor since 2005 with one all Ireland appearance, one Munster title and one players strike up to 2017. Look up any news article about the 2010 strike and you’ll see McManus being consulted as team sponsor. If it was just money they’d have done a lot more in those first 13 seasons of his sponsorship. At the moment theyve a cohort of big powerful players that are once in a lifetime - byrnes, hayes o donoghue, Hegarty much like Shefflin, fennelly and Larkin and in Lynch one of those special players that you don’t often see in hurling and of course a serious coaching ticket. However, the wheel always turns.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Greensoup

You should look back at last 10 minutes of Munster final - I’d say Limerick didn’t score and were out in their feet…..Clare had them on the rack but hit some brutal wides, tony Kelly of all people blocked down when he shoulda scored and another dropped into Quaids hand. Limerick couldn’t get out of their half. Similar happened against Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I think energy levels in the last ten minutes also have a lot to do with conditions in part (like playing with a strong wind) …. but mostly to do with momentum.

if your team have gotten a couple of inspirational scores like Peter Casey’s or Cathal O’Neills for example ,that get a huge reaction from the crowd then yours are the team with the tails up so to speak and that momentum and energy from the crowd carries you on a wave of adrenaline.

Of course the opposite is also true and if your team are missing chances and nothing seems to be going your way it can absolutely drain the life out of you.

So obviously if you’ve got a combination of one team effectively growing in energy and their opponent having their energy levels psychologically draining away there would appear to be a huge discrepancy between the teams fitness levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭hurlaway

Cork have played in 4 hurling finals since 2005 and did not win any of them

No ye didn't, not actually being in 4 but my point is kilkenny,s failure rate in recent finals that some Cork posters are so gleeful about is the same as Corks 100%failure rate in their recent finals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭blackcard

Ballyhale, Tullaroan and the 3 city teams will be favourites for the county championship. Heard David Blanchfield may not return until a month's time

• Advertisement

Is Martin Fogarty being utilized at all, I know he is retired from teaching and is a passionate hurling man with huge knowledge of the game. Nicky Brennan on OTB last week admitted KK took their eye off the ball about 15 years ago, he also has a wealth of knowledge and a lot to offer even at the organizational side of it.

Advertisement