Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Garry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Jury is still out until he gets hit hard and clean by someone hard and tough. Did well last night. Good solid and fast follow-up. His post fight ring interview wasn’t as cringey as previous ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭conor678

Impressive performance by him. Managed the distance well and looked very dangerous when he pulled the trigger.

Post fight thought he cane across a lot more measured and respectful then previously. Look forward to seeing who he gets next

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

Yeah to be fair to him it was a rock solid performance, no faulting him at all. He really did run through D-Rod.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

These are the exact sort of comments Conor performances were met with post fight during his rise up the FW rankings. FWIW

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Class performance, managed the range so well. That was a big step up and he was flawless.

He's only 25, he's nowhere near the finished article and into the top 15. Massive potential

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

That win on Saturday has made me think about just this. And my own thoughts at the time too.

At the time, I was of the opinion that it was a mattr of time before COnor came up against a Top 10 guy and would get found out.......... 😕

I'm liking him being steadily built as the last thing we want him to be is another Darren Till.

Top 15 at 25 is solid work.

Interested to see who he'll be matched with next.

13 (Maddalena) and 14 (Pereira) in the rankings are on good win streaks. Then you're into the likes of Chiesa and Magny, who although past their prime are obviously wily old heads and more than capable of punishing Garry's greenness.

I think Magny next, hes the gatekeeper of the top 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

At the time, I didn't think Conor would be found out. But I did think after the TUF level wins, the speedy climb would hit the skids in the rankings. Didn't happen.

I think that was a big step up for Garry and he's have a grind on his hands. Was wrong. Interesting to see where he goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,490 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He's very well coached I think and he's always in great shape. My one worry is how open he leaves himself when he goes on the attack, a lot of the time his head is up in the air and he's likely to get caught out by a big striker if he's doesn't sort that out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Yeah he seemed more himself this time and leading up to the fight wasnt talking much shite.

Hopefully he keeps going,saw on twitter he wants ufc back in Ireland if he beats Magny. Due a night back here to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Zverklez

If he beats Neal you could make an argument that he is only 1 or 2 more fights away from a title shot. I really expected him to take things slower. It is a very good stylistic matchup for Garry, I think he is more than capable of winning

• Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Hmmm, not sure about this one. Too much too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

If you look at the Top 10, this is the fight you'd have picked for him to have the most success.

The issue is, if he beats Neal, the rest of the division is unreal.

C: Edwards

1: Usman

2: Colby

3: Belal

4: Khamzat

5: Burns (who he won't fight)

6: Rahkmonov

Number 7 is Wonderboy and I actually think that would be a really fun Main Event on a Fight Night card or Co-Main/Main Card fight on a PPV.

But once he gets into those deep waters at 170...... it's gonna be tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

He looked damn good in his last fight, and if he beats Neal as convincingly as that one (a tall order I know) then quite of few of those guys in the top 10 will be looking at Garry as a difficult fight himself.

I don’t think he’s on the same level as 145 McGregor, but he needs to have a similar attitude where he’s taking on established names and he’s the one to be feared, not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭delusiondestroyer

khamzat is never fighting at 170 again no hope of it.

Usman would be too soon for him, i doubt he'd have the wrestling to beat him.

Colby would maul him.

Belal,Burns and Rahkmonov he could have a crack at.

I think he could give leon a good go too, He has the striking and Leon would strike with him diaz wobbled him i dont see why garry couldnt.

He should aim to finish Neal if dramtic fashion then call burns and if he startches him call for the title, he d need hype tho to skip ahead of dangerous fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Way too early for him to be worrying about fighting a teammate, that only becomes possible if one gets the belt and the other is the only clear title contender.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

It's a fight I'm really looking forward to. It's a great match-up for him. If he wins he's gonna have to fight a top 5 then though, there's no way he'd go from beating 8 to fighting Thompson.

I think he would have a better chance against Leon than the rest of the top 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Zverklez

Thompson is going to pick and choose his fights - I think Garry is one of the few top 15 fighters who he would be willing to fight. I could see it as a fight night main event in the 3 Arena!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

ha yes! I was thinking while it would be a bland fight from a rankings POV if he beats Neal, a main event v Thompson at the 3arena makes a lot of sense. Thompson still got name recognition among the casuals, is not a total scrub and I think and I think its a cool thing that someone gets a creditable win in front of a stacked home crowd.

Great match up for him.

I would absolutely buy a ticket for him vs Thompson in Dublin if that was picked. Big fan of wonderboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I don’t think Ian Garry will get everyone cheering for him in 3 arena. He is not a man of the people like Conor was/is. There isn’t much about IG that I like anyway as good and all a fighter he is.

Everyone will be cheering for him simply because he's Irish.

He's not and never will be as popular as McGregor was but neither is/was any fighter in the history of the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I really really want this kid to do well be great to see him go all the way, He seems like a nice guy but at the same time there is just something about him that i find so cringe or like he tries to hard ,I cant out my finger on it but there's something that makes his personality really hard to like ,

Is it just me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭pgj2015

He is hard to like because it seems he is putting on an act, being cocky is an awful trait, no Irish person likes it, its not an Irish trait. If he was humble he would be more likable.

To me its like he goes half in on being cocky & half in on being humble, Its like he can't decide,

Cnor was cocky as hell but had the charisma & comic side to pull it off,

I'm a family man myself & i get the love for it but there's something odd about the way Gary goes on with it , i like thinks he's the only person on the UFC roster to ever be married or a have a child , I wonder does he feel like he has to over do it because everyone knows his wife was married before & had a kid before with someone else,

Did you ever think that giving the impression that he's a family man first and foremost will attract a lot of support?

Ye that could be true, but there seems to be a real lack of interest in him in this country

id go as far as saying Bannon created more interest the other week here then he does,

Sure look at this thread is dead from month to month ,

• Advertisement

Firstly I don't know who Bannon is, never heard of him.

Secondly it's very hard to be after McGregor who is still making headline news. He's the most popular fighter in the history of MMA. You aren't going to get much notice as long as he is around. If/When he retires then people will take an interest in other fighters.

Advertisement