Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement Saorsat LNB

Options
  • 30-07-2023 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Need to get a replacement Saorsat LNB for a relative. Their signal drops out during any type of rain. It might just be water ingress at the F-connectors, but I'd rather just replace it and be done rather than multiple visits to sort it.

What is a good quality Saorsat LNB. Also, is it recommended to use amalgamating tape around the connectors to keep the water out?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I believe there's only a Labgear Saorsat LNB available now, unless somebody still has some of the older Triax or Inverto ones.

Some self-amalgamating tape would be a good idea alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

It's probably just because of the raindrops in the air attenuating the signal, rather than water ingress. Maybe a bit of dish misalignment has made a problem of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I'm not affiliated to this company.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Is dish alignment difficult without the digital alignment tool?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Apogee

Can you either view the TV screen and see the quality levels while adjusting dish, or else use a mobile app if your receiver (e.g. Enigma) supports it.

Otherwise, even a cheap analogue meter will be a huge help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭swoofer

You are missing a vital piece of information, size of dish and approximate location and current lnb and receiver. I have 2 RT Inverto lnbs going spare. I can get SAORSAT on a 68CM dish and Sky here in Clare using a bracket. But ideally 80CM is a must.

Say roughly where you are.

SAORSAT is a swine to receive and may not even register a signal. The best way to get is to use an ordinary lnb and tune in the comedy channel.

Here are the details. 11785H 27500 2/3 its in german, super strong signal, once you get it tune to highest possible signal level, tighten up dish and swop lnb.

In Antrim.

They were not getting a signal during mild rain whereas as we were and only a few miles away.

Can't remember, but I think we are on possibly 90cm dishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭swoofer

Ok, the dish size for Antrim is 100CM but 90 is good. The fact yours is OK in rain is useful. Do you intend to fix this yourself? If you do use your setup as a guide, ie mark the elevation on your dish and take a pic, check the signal strength and take a pic, thats if you can reach dish!!

At the other site check there are no obstructions, tress, wires, rooftops, the usual cause for loss of signal is that dish has moved but it can move either left or right or the arm at front can drop down.

There is a bit more but if you are going to call an expert I'll pause.

I think it might be alignment so I'm going to call in an installer and they should have lnb if needed.

Took a look and it seemed okay - no visible corrosion.

Advertisement