Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

... and you wanted to bump up your post numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Enjoying A Perfect Story, nice light little Spanish rom com tv show. If you liked "smiley" or an "astralogical guide for broken hearts" you should like this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭dublin49

Detectorists is an easy going simple series that has lovely characters,beautiful countryside,nice music and just another example of the high class TV the BBC regularly produce.Would recommend it but look elsewhere for thrills and spills.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Definitely one for those that are Radio 4 fans.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

New episode of the Untold documentary series up, I think there are another 2 or 3 to follow. Some of the previous episodes were fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I just watched MUTE.

I looked up Duncan Jones filmography and it is the last project that he made and that was five years ago. I know filmmakers can be working on stuff that takes years or might not work out but how does a director survive without work?

Same for Gareth Edwards. He hadn’t worked since 2015 until he started on THE CREATOR. Did work not come his way because rumours about ROGUE ONE behind the scenes or did working with Disney interference just wreck his head and he needed a break?

I've had that kind of thought at the back of my head for a long time. One for the Sofa though?

Actually, it'd make an interesting thread in its own right. There's a lot of interesting background material about film makers that some people might know a lot about that colours the perspective of what we see, and don't get to see, on the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭appledrop

Started watching the Arnie documentary last night, pleasantly surprised so far.

Started watching Season 2 of Lincoln Lawyer , very meh adored first season maybe it will improve or maybe they should have left it at 1 season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭jj880

Same. Really enjoyed season 1. Gave up after 4 eps of season 2. His love interest / client character is really unbelievable and annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭appledrop

Ah no don't say that! I was hoping it would improve. In 1st season I really liked his charisma but this season it's turned into him been full of himself and annoying.

It was better when he was a struggling nobody.

It might improve. Watch to the end and let me know 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Extraction 2 is a solid action movie. Much better than the first one, not remotely original but the action is fantastic, I would say it outwicked John Wick, especially because the action doesn't outstay its welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

I watched a slightly rough around the edges German sci-fi film called Paradise. Its about some near future time, where science has advanced to allow people to sell years of their life to wealthy buyers for cash. Its not clear why de-aging would work this way, but if you're willing to just go along with it, the film does a good job of teasing out the various societal implications that might come with this, while remaining fairly engaging throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,691 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Interesting, sounds a bit like that ‘In Time’ Justin Timberlake movie from years ago - really interesting idea, but they didn’t explore it as well as they could’ve.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Watch the episodes in reverse order: the first episode is the best, and then they get progresively worse.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Finished this and loved it, excellent last episode. Terrific music as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Duncan Jones is Zowie Bowie as in David Bowies son different for other filmmakers but I think he'll get by without every working again let alone big gaps between projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I knew he is Bowie’s kid, but it didn’t occur to me that he’d have an inheritance.

Still though, there other directors who have years between projects, like Edwards.

Writers are the same but many work on scripts that they don’t get credit for because another writer does a later rewrite, etc.

I assume they get paid regardless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Directors can make a lot of money from directing commercials and music videos. In many cases it's how they got into the directing films and it remains their main job/source of income long afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,691 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yup, for the majority of working directors, features are the passion projects with commercials being the day job. For all but the top handful, putting a feature together takes years and years - Jones has been packaging 'Rogue Trooper' for an age. But he's over at RSA (and Wild Gift in the US) in the meantime doing commercials, which he's been doing for ~15 years. I see Gareth Edwards is with RSA in the UK too. Lads at Jones level would be making around 50k+ per shoot-day on set.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

My Sailor, my Love. Really liked this. Sentimental in a simple way but looking at real human relationships, idea, or otherwise. well acted with a cameo by Finbar Furey.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Quarterback is excellent. I don’t watch NFL at all but I watch lots of documentaries ((Last Chance, QB1, 30for30). I’ve two episodes left and it’s been a great watch, really interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

If you like nfl stuff I would reckoned the untold latest episode. In fact the whole series is great.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

With you on this, I haven't followed it since the 90's and it's changed so much and remained the same too. Well produced imho too

Quarterback is decent enough. A bit too much mahomes family reality tv for me though.

As already stated above today's johnny football untold episode is excellent. Really gripping stuff. I also recommend all untold episodes. I never skip the intro - fits perfectly.

A Man Called Otto - remake of a Swedish movie which I've yet to see - enjoyable story driven comedy-drama I really enjoyed this evening.

(Edit - apparently not in Ireland - sorry....)

Post edited by Princess Consuela Bananahammock on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

Ah - fair point - sorry, I'm in Germany (which is usually behind everywhere else to be fair....)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,638 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Netflix's latest attempt to make a big budget franchise Heart of Stone starring Gal Gadot and Jamie Dornan is surprise surprise not getting good reviewws.

Advertisement