Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I also disagree here.

the arrogance that leinster could put out JvDF + b-team was incredible.

The provinces and clubs only get to compete for 2 trophies a season, you don't take those semi-final opportunities lightly.

As for Scotland, we will beat them if we respect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭VayNiice

It wasn't arrogance, they just had different priorities to munster.

tomato tomato

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Mod: This isn't the Leinster thread so let's drop that line of argument now

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

when did podge become a mod ???

(edit: ah i see it was last month. belated commiserations podge!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭PMC83

Theres nothing criminal about it all. He wasn't good enough to start at Munster and wasn't in the window for Ireland because of it. You don't throw money at a 3rd place player to keep him. He's chosen to ply his trade in scotland where he'll probably stand out, becuase the overall standard of rugby there just isn't as good as it is here. If Scotland or Edinburgh start knocking off Irish teams, of course we'll regret it, but neither team show any evidence of being able to do that. Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

This

The classic Irish inferiority complex is on full show with some of the comments after Healy's performance in a friendly v Italy.

The guy was 3rd choice for Munster until very recently, yet one good performance for Scotland in a meaningless game and suddenly he's a detrimental loss to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭phog

Could you quote a few posts that actually said that it even anything remotely like that?

Absolutely criminal Healy was let go play for the Scotch. It will be regretted in a big way

This one for starters. And just take one look in the Munster thread. As expected many Munster fans jumping at the opportunity to have a go at Andy Farrell.

Me thinks you're reading too much into a few posts.

As for having a go at Farrell 🙊🙈😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

Not sure about inferiority but if Healy played a warm up against Italy in green and performed the way he did on Saturday not many people would expect him to be second choice at the WC. He had a few decent passes and a couple of decent kicks from hand. Off the tee he was poor and he didn't blow out the lights in any way. Best you could say was it was promising and he didn't make any glaring errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

On a positive note, we're five days away from our first warm-up and we have not a single injury, which itself is pretty impressive.

I presume we'll see a second string team this weekend with a stronger XV for the England match.

i think anyone that continues this argument, should be threadbanned (by themselves) until lthe world cup. Go enjoy the rain outside lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

’Narrative’ here usually means false narrative but Ireland’s World Cup record speaks for itself. Let’s go in as underdogs and surprise a few people.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 easymoneysnipa

Ireland are the number one ranked team in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Its mildly amusing reading Irish fans getting upset about an Irish born player choosing to play for another country. You had no problems with foreign born players choosing to play for Ireland but when it's the other way round, you get outraged.

Nobody is outraged. Most people are very happy for the guy, he's no loss to Ireland so fair play to him for furthering his own career elsewhere. Much like very few NZers batted an eyelid when JGP left, or Saffers when Stander or Kleyn left.

It's "mildly amusing" how the Kiwis are always trying to deflect attention away from their own highly dubious harvesting of the best talent from the Pacific islands.

Oh sorry, "scholarships".

I certainly don't see it as outrage, I didn't want to lose Healy, I fully accept that he wanted to play international rugby and took his chance, he is one of the lucky guys in that he could play for another country without going through the project player route, not all players will be as lucky as him.

I often wonder what the likes of Darcy and Fitzgerald make of players like McKinley or Healy going away to play for another country, they made enough noise about incoming players taking spots here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I actually don't know anyone who's annoyed over him playing for Scotland over Ireland and most say fair play to him. A lot of Munster fans are annoyed about it as due to this decision they lose a good club player.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm scandalised by the whole thing. Outrage doesn't begin to cover it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Not saying everyone is upset by his move and people aren't happy him. I'm a Munster fan so I'm sorry to see him go. But I understand it and hope it goes well. You have to acknowledge that there are posters on this forum that are upset by his move. I think those people are being hypocritical.

Your comment on the PI players in NZ just shows your ignorance. Sure a few players who move to NZ schools on scholarships and end up in the ABs. But then there a lot of players who come through the NZ system and end up playing for the islands. Should the NZRU not allow them to play in NZ? At the last couple of world cups, most of the Samoan team was born in NZ. Maybe they should stop raiding NZ's resources 😁

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is anyone actually upset at the SRU or Edinburgh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

I don't think it's entirely out of the question if we were to see Ireland's expected all out effort to beat the Boks be successful, that there might be a player or 2 rested against the Scots. Well, Sexton I mean really.

I know the counter argument to this is Sexton's suspension means he doesn't get game minutes in the warm ups and will be given (or "will need") minutes in most or every group game.

But especially if we manage to win against SA, and have a QF place guaranteed before we play the Scots, I could easily see Sexton be sat out for the final group game. (disguised by telling us he has a niggle)

And yes, we have 2 weeks between playing SA and Scotland, but as a previous poster highlighted, an easy final group game is worth anything to your chances in a QF the following week. So rest some of the big guns against a Scottish team that we should probably beat with our 2nd string anyway. And even if they pull off a miracle and beat us, so what. We're in the QF anyways.

I know that's the stock answer whenever anyone questions the recruitment policies of NZ (and to be fair, Australia are probably worse) but they're two different things.

Samoa etc get the players NZ don't want, and they're all qualified on family grounds. It doesn't weaken NZ one iota.

NZ cherry-pick the best schoolboy players from Tonga, Samoa and Fiji, give them "scholarships", wait out the residency period, and it massively weakens their native countries. Maybe Tonga might pick up a few guys three years after NZ are done with them.

Correct me if I'm wrong/ignorant, but the entire NZ replacement front row last weekend was made up of Samoans and Tongans who qualified on residency, plus Frizell in the starting XV. Add to that Narawa and Finau who featured in earlier rounds and I'm sure a lot of others I can't think of. The Aussies had Tupou, Kerevi and Koroibete. I know Taukei’aho turned down Tonga's call at the last RWC and I'm sure a lot of others have done likewise.

Imagine how competitive these countries would be if they could keep them?

It's not against the rules but that doesn't make it "right", and it's a million miles removed from Healy, or JGP, or Kleyn.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

Ireland were number 1 going into last World Cup too.rankings mean nothing in a WC year

Fully agree. Healy might have picked up 5-10 caps for us over the next decade, but he chose to take the easier route to international rugby by going to Scotland, instead of going to Connacht or Ulster and fighting his way into the Ireland squad. Ultimately he's no huge loss to us. Crowley is a far superior player.

And there's huge revisionism going on with people saying he should have been given a chance with Ireland. There was nobody calling for Healy to get capped for Ireland over the last year, and not once did he put in a performance that would have pushed the envelope with regards to Irish selection.

He was certainly playing to standard that should have got him in to an Irish camp and on the EI tour but for whatever reason that didn't happen and he chose the only route to international rugby.

Remember, if he is deemed to have taken the easier route then you must apply that to all the imports we have had come here to play for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 easymoneysnipa

Nothing you said has anything to do with fully agreeing with the poster and as pointed out basically nobody is annoyed at Healy taking the option to play for Scotland, they’re annoyed about a depth chart at a province being kneecapped by Ireland coaches while they capped an absolutely useless Harry Byrne 2 years ago. The last 12 months a convenient nonsense time period for you. And while you have the almanac for the next ten years can you give us all the lotto numbers for the next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,363 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hopefully we stay injury free as long as possible

Hoping to see a mixed team on Saturday, a little obvious but match fitness is very important

Heading up on Saturday, first Rugby game I've been too since 2018. 8pm start is a bit of a pain but **** happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

He wasn't starting for the Munster team and he's good enough to make the Irish camp? There was enough consternation at Harry getting called up, and he's been making HC match day squads. Healy was never good enough, more meaningless Munster moaning

Advertisement