Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does the rest of the country dislike Dublin so much?

Options

Comments

• Sounds like you met one of those morons who thinks they’re funny.

I’m from Dublin, but also have lived in Cork and a few other places for long periods and you get it in both directions.

I’ve had Cork swipes at Dublin and I’ve had Dublin swipes at Cork, mostly tongue in cheek but sometimes it goes too far.

I had a teacher in Cork City, but he was from Waterford, who used to call me a “Dublin scumbag” as a mode of address, and I’ve been told to “get that culchie car out of Dublin” in both cases, by people who are sad pr1cks who think they’re hilarious but are about as funny as a dose of the trots.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭buried

Damn right you get it both directions. The whole manufactured mythos surrounding this showcased indigenous Dublin/urban/Rural divide suits the establishment right down to the ground. A tactic as old as time for the couple of hundred that want to live high up on the top, laughing at everyone. Divide and conquer. And many of the state sponsored cultural institutions showcase it 24/7, 365 days of every year.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I think it's probably envy on one side.

On the other side, Dublin is associated probably with high property prices, greedy landlords and lot's of traffic and maybe even too international.

In the country, it's neighbour and neighbour knowing each other, bigger houses, more space and nice countryside, and in bad cases one can more rely on the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Probably looking for the hang sammich in Butlers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Beefcake82

A good start would be to not classify everyone from outside Dublin as culchies, it is a very disparaging description. Many people feel some dubs look down on them and using language that "noun. Irish informal a rough or unsophisticated country-dweller from outside Dublin." does not help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

He could get ones but they didn't have Denny hang so he left them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

F**k me wait till you try and rent a house outside Dublin. Some of the worst bottle necks for traffic are miles outside "da scity"

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

As a country bog hopper with no interest in Gah, I only associate Dublin with trips up on the train with my Dad when I was a teenager. He worked in it back in the day and when he retired and was still fit as a fiddle, we'd head up the odd time to do the tourist stuff. It was relatively clean, safe and an enjoyable day out.

That was the late 90's / early 2000's and it seems to be a very different place now. Any time I've been in the city centre, you get as much hassle from aggressive beggars and junkies as you do in southern europe or north africa. I've only been on the Luas a dozen times in my life and on lots of those journeys there was some miscreant causing a problem, necessitating security or some such. It's reminiscent of 1970's New York, just with less guns and prostitutes. Although, being a country bog hopper, I'm not sure I'd spot the prostitutes in a crowd. Probably loads of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Well, I was comparing with, say London or Toronto. Traffic is worse there for sure.

Well, the Luas is still cleaner than the NY subway was back in the 70ies. I recall, the first time I've taken the subway there, I thought they were garbage trucks, in terms of clean, or more lack of it, and then there wasn't a single spot on the train where there was no grafitti.

I would also guess prostitutes operate differently in today's world, like on the internet, and picking their clients with more care, or probably more some occasional prostitution, no pimps or human traffickers involved. The latter you might find waiting on the streets.

And yes, 1970ies NYC was not a pretty sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

A lot of north dubs are scumbags and a lot of the southern are westbrit sickeners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Perks

It's not spoken of often but from experience the underlying anger towards men in particular from Dublin by males outside of Dublin is because the girls and women flock to the giant spud and more often than not never return.

It's not really about Dublin, it's about girls/women leaving "the rest of the country" in search of more.

I've noticed a lot of the more unscrupulous landlords are from outside Dublin.

Dublin is a stunning county on the coasts and in some of the villages. I've spent a great deal of time exploring it the past few years and really think as a county it has phenomenal diversity and is taken for granted. (I'm a blow in from the country). However half the city centre is just being left to rot and is a bleak auld kip. The place also has become unaffordable for a lot of people.

Suburban and dreary west Dublin is a different world from Blackrock, Howth, Dalkey etc. Then you have the Dublin mountains to offer another perspective.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Because they don't like cities. Which is fine and their choice.

Ultimately its no different from the opprobrium most countries face towards either their capital or largest city.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Well Dublin doesn't really live up to expectations, at least for many of us.

The expectation would be a safe, green city with good public transport links and historical sights, music venues and vibrant outdoor spaces.

Maybe it's just that we all need to accept that Dublin cannot be London (albeit London has many issues such as more serious knife crime) or live up to the beauty of many European cities not necessarily due to anyone's fault but just as a result of Dublin being a relatively new city that lacks a historical feel,it is what it is..

However there should be efforts to make the best of what Dublin is, preserve buildings, reinvigorate areas, actually provide a decent metro! and above all make at least the city centre a safe destination.

Dubs sometimes believe we are all to get them (Non Dubs), it's actually not the case, but its hard to find any love for a place i would consider a kip - rightly or wrongly but that's my genuine impression of Dublin based on my 30 or so visits over the years.. Again maybe its just i have been unlucky on occasion with my encounters on the streets so its IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

I’m a culchie and I like Dubs , find them a lot warmer than folks in most of the country

the best and worst Irish people are to be found in Dublin

Because city and country are two very different things.

Everyone defends their own land, so the rest of the country will largely dislike big cities; and those in big cities will largely dislike rural community.

It's possibly the same in every country, and it's partly a natural human response to want to justify feeling more comfortable in the community in which you reside. People have a tendency to slag off that which is considered different (to what they are typically accustomed to).

Just my two cents. I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

This 100%. I’m also a culchie who has lived on and off in Dublin for quite a few years.

Dublin people are generally friendly and pretty open. They tend to give people a chance, unlike folks in the country, who are constantly trying to suss you out and look for reasons to tear you down.

No doubt there will be rants about ‘feral youth’ etc, but we’re speaking about average people here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Would that be the same as saying a lot of culchies are inbred ? The gene pool being shallow in some towns ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Wildflowers 123

Some people fell inferior.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

rural people very often don’t care what you are , it’s all about who you’re people were, if they didn’t know you’re seed , breed and generation, you are dismissed

My dad's from there and I lived there over a decade but it's a small regional capital with delusions of grandeur.

People of that mentality act like it's a cultured metropolis when it's really far closer to Cork than London (it's not even close)

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Relax brah

I think they just haven’t invented flat whites in Kerry yet. They are still stuck on instant Nescafé

What? 😂

its not a latte at all. Firstly, lattes are bigger, yes but also more milk than coffee. They use a single espresso (mostly in Ireland 2x) and are 12/16oz. The drinks also Italian.

Flat whites are from either NZ or Oz they disagree about who was first, but they use a double Ristretto which is a concentrated espresso (so stronger) and milk with very little foam.

they are a much stronger drink altogether so if anything it’s better value than a latte.

also by your logic espresso is a bad value Americano like 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Relax brah

LOL @ these culchies not understanding what a flat white is. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤪🤪🤪😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Arra you can't be saying things about others now.

They might get offended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

They don't hate Dubliners really. They just hate Dublin people from council estates.

Advertisement