Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Only home from the match, myself and my young lad got absolutely soaked being in the cusack lower... was worth it though, what a day.

Celebrating with some buttered brack and a hot mug of tea... how very autumn!

Agree re it being chillier though, definitely felt it today. That autumnal weather is on its way.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 30,493 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I've been caught with that also.

I think the journalists also haven't a clue.(We should be incharge of the Christmas articles.)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭Heroditas

July can just p1ss off at this stage. Kids are in summer camp today but what miserable weather we're having. It absolutely sucks, big time.

I can hear the rain hammering off the VELUX and I'm giving serious consideration to turning the light on to work. 🤦

Early August isnt looking any better either. What a miserable summer.

Just to add, noticed this morning when getting up at my usual time of 5.45am how much darker it was than even last week. I appreciate it was a gloomy morning but most of them have been recently anyway so its definitely not just cloud cover. Suspect i'll be seeing twilight mornings pretty soon.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I noticed that this morning too. I'm in the office on a Monday, so my alarm goes off just after 6. It was definitely much darker this morning compared to a week ago.

• Advertisement

The evenings are also closing in a little.

Approx Times

June 30th

Sunrise = 5:16.

Sunset = 21:57.

July 30th

Sunrise = 5:52.

Sunset = 21:26.

August = 30th

Sunrise = 6:41.

Sunset = 20:26.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

The summer hasn't been bad. Just July. Didn't we have the dryest and warmest June on record or am I dreaming that 🤣. July on track to be the wettest ever all the same though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

It has rained pretty much everyday since primary school kids got their holidays. So while June is technically summer kids were in school for the nice days. Their school holidays have been crap weather-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

Our annual street party was cancelled in July and the re scheduled date this Saturday ain't looking too good either.

This weather is just awful, we are usually the most cheerful bunch on the internet. 😊

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I don't even remember June, it's like a distant memory!

I've rewatched Gavin and Stacey and just about to watch the 2019 Christmas episode!

What season is it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I believe it's technically summer for 6 weeks, then autumn starts. However traditionally (and what I went by up until 3 years ago), autumn starts today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Autumn. Glad to see the back of Julanuary 😂.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Autumn in this house too! Although we did ask Alexa when Autumn officially starts and she said September 23rd...

Bright enough here today TG, eldest is at camp this week & was drenched coming in yesterday afternoon. Have started to gather a few stocking fillers.

Autumn for me. Weather wise it may not be considered but I'm a traditionalist & always stick to the seasons as taught to me in primary school way back in the day 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

When you think about it, it has to be Autumn as mid summers day is June 21st.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

I'll take the Gaelic calendar. Autumn it is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭tscul32

Can't believe it's August already! I always look forward to the summer but it's gone before you know it.

Whilst you might get Summery weather August is Autumn to me. Mainly because of the days getting a bit shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Andrew93

Don't know about anyone else, but this year is going by lightning fast for me...

It went crazy fast, until July lasted 78 days!

@CheerLouth Autumn starts September 23rd, g'way Alexa ya big idiot! 😄

Definitely Autumn today, in no way could I accept February being winter. ❄️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I still go by how I was taught in school, so 1st August = 1st Autumn. Even the months in Irish match this, Meán Fómhair (September) literally translates to middle autumn and Deireadh Fómhair (October) is end of autumn.

In the meteorological calendar, the seasons start a month later.

So technically both are right, but in reality, the meteorological calendar is wrong 😂

I hear ya! I remember living in France years ago & on Feb 1st, I duly said "Happy First Day of Spring" and they all looked at me like I was mad & told me that Spring didn't start until March 25th! And with that, I promptly packed my bags & left (6 months later 😂)

😂😂😂

Ooooh, I like the idea of backing it up with Irish. Sure you can't argue with our national language. 😁

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Happy first of autumn everyone.

Definitely been a long July with the sh*te weather.

Year is flying by except for the exceptionally long January and Julys.

Advertisement