Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod control of Tubridy payment Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭hawley

The problem is that some of these posters seem to be reporting everything and they are being taken seriously by the mod. They seem to be able to dictate how a thread is run. I'm genuinely befuddled as to how they seem to have so much power. Even looking at this thread, some of the posts that are left up are far worse than posts that were removed. There are posts containing personal attacks against ButtersSuki and they are just left up. It's almost like they're an organised group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭hawley

I'm just after seeing that they've snipped those comments. They were there when I last looked.

It's as RUDE to just delete posts and say nothing. Very frustrating. The thread announcing Sinead's death - it got absolutely butchered. Now obviously there's nothing wrong with removing the blatant dick comments mocking her mental health, but even very anodyne "why do you think that?" kinda things got the chop. I think sometimes they just do it for the sake of it.

• I don’t think it’s fair to say any posters use RP to sway the direction of a thread or discussion. It’s fair to say they certainly try in my experience.

Meaning I’ve often been going over the reported posts and you’ll see every now and then what’s a clear attempt to silence opposing POV’s.

With some people “trolling” is just a synonym for “they think differently to me” that said the mods have enough wherewithal to know the difference.

I’m almost sure I’ve probably fallen for it in my earlier days but I will read and study the other mods to get a better understanding of how to approach situations I am unfamiliar with & I can be confident I’ve never seen anything like what you’re describing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Honestly I think most of the moderators and admins are doing a great job, despite the limitations of the platform and (I am choosing my words very carefully here) the obvious piss-taking by certain users regarding what is acceptable posting. I lost my temper at the latter yesterday, and for that I apologise sincerely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Do people really believe the mods just action posts because “someone” reports it? If a rule hasn’t be broken the mods can’t take action.

It always amazes me that the ones who complain most about the moderation are the ones who just can’t play by the rules. You don’t bet bans, or warnings, just for having a crap “opinion”. You get them for breaking rules.

The mods, and admins, are the only ones keeping this place together. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had my fair share of “scoldings” from the mods and, while I might have felt hard done by, I’ve rarely challenged them because it’s clear I’ve broken a rule.

There seems to be a cohort of excessively angry posters who can’t believe for a second that someone might not think the same, odious, way they do and they accuse them of “trolling”. These same users then go apeshít when they get sanctioned for breaking a rule after losing their temper.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• for as many people who reckon they’ve been done over there’s awful few DRP’s to go along with them.

None of us are out to get anyone because the fact is we’re here to help keep things smooth. Besides that, we’d be demodded flat if we did & DRP would sort out the rest.

We’re here to enforce rules not pick on posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭HBC08

It's seems fairly obvious that a small handful of posters are ruining threads.

No biggie there really,people can be strange online but why is this being not only tolerated but facilitated?

Why are posters being banned when the same 2 or 3 posters remain and continue to contribute nothing and bait more reasonable contributors.

It's weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I've found Beasty to be pretty fair in his hammering - s/he doesn't have time to read every post in every thread that is reported so can only make an educated guess (I would assume) on who to ban/when to give warnings etc. I remember the Covid thread where he was modding it and it was manic with the amount of posts every day. I guess better to play safe than let the lunatics run the asylum

If people feel hard done by then maybe they should take a look at the tone of the post they were making, not to say some people fly very close to the line in the manner of their posting.

• Administrators Posts: 53,730 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

@[Deleted User] @CGI_Livia_Soprano @Pintman Paddy Losty @EmmetSpiceland

While we appreciate the positive sentiment regarding the wider modding, I think you've made your point now (today and yesterday). This thread is specifically about some decisions in the RTE Tubridy thread, don't drag it into a generic them vs us argument again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Apologies, awec, but Big Bag of Chips posted “This is a Feedback thread. Feedback specifically of Boards.ie and moderation.”

So when other users then started criticising the moderation, in general, I posted regarding that but it could also be applied to the Tubridy thread where, I felt, users were getting annoyed for getting warned for not following the site “rules”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Yea and now you've given your feedback and it has been received. I am unconvinced that you're not trolling this thread, and while I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt for now, I won't if you keep trying to drag this thread into a them vs us argument again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Why not have a thumbs up and thumbs down button like Reddit? If a post gets disproportionately downvoted then it gets minimized. To open it you need to be a registered user and understand that the post likely won't meet the forum charter/will contain swear words etc.

We are all adults - this idea that posts need to remain "unseen" because they don't meet the morals or the politics of a select few is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Don't agree with that.

There are always threads where a poster that goes against the prevailing narrative doesn't get thanked.

Does not mean that their opinion or post is not valuable or relevant to the discussion.

In fact it may be invaluable or else the discussion is just an echo chamber .

We are all adults but there is a strong element of tribalism in appreciation of some posters' views over others.

Thats why fair modding is valuable here .

TLDR : Down voting and removing posts by popularity would be unfair to posters who follow the rules but are not expressing opinions that are popular .

• Registered Users Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

As noted, the mods have done a lot of thankless work on the fast moving Tubridy thread dealing with re-regs and bad faith actors. It would be remiss not to mention that.

They get the calls right vast majority of the time, in my view at least.

In recognising that, I think the posts on this thread indicate that a second look is warranted at the action re: discussion of Tubridy's media commentary of Sinead O'Connors death.

It would have been more reasonable imo to say something like... Posters have expressed their views\unease\defences of Tubridy's reaction from both opposing views. But it will drag the thread down a rabbit hole. And draw a line under it going forwards.

But that is not the messaage that was communicated.

And even with that, it should imo be permissible on the thread to reference the Irish Times article in discussions of 'rehabilitation' by the media of Tubridy with a view to his returning to RTE.

The thread must have been one of the most active threads during the PAC hearings. It was Boards at its best and it would be a very negative sign for the future of Boards if such threads are lost. The vast majority of the posters on the thread are sincerely and reasonably contributing to the thread - and others. I think they understand the need for clear and reasonable modding in guiding that debate. But obvious bad faith actors and re-regs should be dealt with differently. I hope - and I think they are - that the mods are aware of the concerted effort on the thread by such actors to bait and get banned longtime posters, and to shut down the debate.

And also, it would be good to clarify if any further discussion of Tubridy's reaction is permissible on CA or elsewhere. Bearing in mind on the CA Sinead O'Connor thread there is commentary on unease at reactions in the media to her tragic death.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

You haven't apologised to me. Throwing out a generic apology without addressing it to the to posters you hurled your vile and hateful rage at is not an apology.

I agree on one thing you've said however: the posting by certain pro-Turbridy posters is complete piss-taking. As is their constant praising and brown-nosing of the moderators, which is unbelievably transparent and I do hope the mods can see through it - as clearly many can judging by some of the posts since you've collectively starting doing this.

To describe your calling me (and another poster) lying scumbags, doxxers, and cancers is far beyond the pale on what constitutes acceptable behaviour. How you are still ion this site let alone this thread after saying those things is truly a mystery.

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

This is once again aimed at me. Let me be 100% clear on this - I have NEVER doxxed anyone, or attempted to, on this or any other site.

No matter how many times you say this, it is simply not true.

IMO the Reddit model of upvote/downvote is more geared toward hobby/group subreddits than discussion based content that you'd find in forums like Current Affairs. It's designed for groups of like-minded people, not groups of differing views. The result is that most subreddits are echo chambers. r/Ireland is an example of this, lots of good threads don't reach their full potential there because the majority will simply downvote any minority view into oblivion.

Boards has many issues, it's not perfect, but all posts here have at least got an equal chance of being seen. If you don't like someone's content, put them on your ignore list.

Missing the point - this is about people whose tone *isn't* unpleasant, they just don't have the approved views.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭satguy

Calling someone a Troll or just saying that you are Trolling a thread, is too easy,, its a catch all phrase used to silence a poster if you don't like what he has to say.

When concerned parents demonstrate outside asylum centres ,, the MSM like to call them "right wing extremists" ,, they are not,, they just have something to say.

So not all posters are Trolls,, just concerned Boardies with something to say.

• Advertisement

This is not the topic of this thread. Do not drag this thread in that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I am trying to keep this general about moderation of the Tubridy thread rather than accuse any one side of particular conduct. But mods please delete if not on topic enough.

Not all posters warranting mod action are trolls.

For me the key point is the sincerity of the concern.

Even within 'trolls' there are different sub species.

All of them have manifested on the Tubridy thread.

The blatant obvious re-reg troll out to abuse other posters and\or moderators and get thread shut down. The mods have been on top of these on the Tubridy thread at cost \ effort to themselves.

The insidious low level trolls who make bad faith arguments, insincerely post, trying to bait \ get a reaction from a sincere poster. They are 'playing the man not the ball'. They are like a defender in sports trying to get the opposition's star forward sent off, with niggling antagonistic behaviour trying to stay below referee's radar. The star player reacts and the ref sees it. A mod would have to be following the thread pretty closely to spot this. I think the mods should be tougher with such 'niggling' conduct when they become aware of it. It is all over CA, not just the Tubridy thread.

The 'benign' sort who are more like wind up \ satirical merchants who post something they don't believe to get a reaction, but not directed at any particular poster or deliberately trying to antagonise them. That has its place on AH if done right but on CA it can derail the thread especially where posters think it is serious and respond. On the Tubridy thread, these have gradually been dealt with.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Administrators Posts: 13,975 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

@ButtersSuki @CGI_Livia_Soprano @EmmetSpiceland take your dispute elsewhere. This is not the place for it.

Do not post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The trolling is very obvious on the Tubridy thread, everyone should just ignore it and treat it like "a nothing burger".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭HBC08

I agree.

I suppose my question is why the 3 posters (two of which have the exact same posting style,grammar,turn of phrase and raging anger) be held to different standards to everybody else?

My other question is why a mod can't see this when it's blatant?

Ps,I'm not accusing anybody of having multiple accounts because apparently that's not allowed so just to be clear.

And other posters too in fairness. There's seven or eight overall. The impunity they enjoy is mindblowing. And surprise... they're all very leftwing - or pretend to be - politically.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We have a thread where posters can express condolences following the death of Sinead O’Connor. RIP threads are supposed to be just that. Somewhere to focus on the positives, but not one for wider debate of someone’s life. There is a particular sensitivity for any Irish person who dies as friends and/or family may read comments on here. Hence in the aftermath we do not allow such thread to stray beyond those condolences/RIPs (and that was following a Feedback thread about RIP threads quite a few years ago)

That death was reported on the evening of 26 July. Three days later we started getting reports from the thread about users using the death of Sinead O’Connor to attack Tubridy. We also had reports of posters just posting about her death without the context of the Tubridy article. A lot of posts responded to such posts and by the time I got to those reports there were pages of stuff mentioning O’Connor mainly in the context of Tubridy’s comments. Again I took the view that this was undignified given her death had only recently been announced and I thought they were the sort of comments that may not be appreciated by those close to her. Hence I introduced a blanket ban on discussing her in the thread given in my view people were using his reaction to her death to “take potshots” at Tubridy.

Here are some examples from posts I deleted

“Like George Michael I would say we will hear more stories like this about sinead”

“I cannot believe the amount of coverage Sinead’s death is getting in the Uk. I didn’t appreciate she was such a significant figure. There was a piece on a radio 4 program yesterday, another just now on Loose Ends and seemingly an obituary on another radio 4 program tomorrow. Plus all the newspaper coverage.

I’ve learnt so much about her over the last few days, heard about so many kind deeds. I know her family will have a different take on it though. Sad.”

“RTs attempt at a comeback "song"....Nothing Compares to Me...it's been 7 hours and 15 days, since you took my Renault away...I could put my arms around every toy I see...Tally Ho, because I'm worth it.”

“It was obvious that he was going to use her death as a way of trying to get back into public life.”

“She obviously wasn’t too well at that point. Bipolar is a dreadful illness.”

“Sinead was perfect foil for him on the LLS. She did live her life like an open wound and the mixture of religion and mental health issues was bread and butter stuff for Tubridy. More so than other celebrities, she was certainly someone he COULD have had some sort of acquaintance with outside of RTE....

But I still think this is a ploy to massage his reputation. It's far too convenient. Especially when you know what a disingenous little twit he is.”

“Breathtaking development here with Tubridy blatantly seeking to capitalise on the premature death of an Irish icon to kick-start his rehabilitation.

“How likely is it that the claimed phone call from Sinead O Conner ever happened?

I can only imagine the ailing star had far more pressing concerns in her final weeks than the downfall of the Toyman. The only interaction I know of between them is an awkward interview in which Tubridy's misogyny bobs to the surface. There was not the warmth of friendship between them.

I believe he is lying.

Whether or not he is, it remains a tawdry, cynical media maneuver.” 

And I could go on, but equally I would have preferred not to have had to repeat those comments here. I do not believe this is the time

After posting that warning people continued to post and respond to posts that were referencing O’Connor. A lot of posts referring to Sinead O’Connor’s death were deleted by myself, along with other posts that were attacking/discussing other posters. Which were not only off topic but they were uncivil. And they were coming from “both sides” of the Tubridy discussion. We also had posters trying to discuss the Justice Minister rather than Tubridy

I took the view that a strict warning was needed to stop people continuing to attack other posters which was behind my second warning. Yes I threatened to close the thread, but that resulted in posters actually heeding the warning. In practice I would have probably threadbanned posters who continued to post “off topic”.

Now I have said repeatedly when people complain about my modding that I do not get everything right - no-one does, and in most cases we are talking shades of grey. My view is I get more on the “right” side of things than on the “wrong” side. Clearly some who have posted in this thread disagree, but equally threads like this will always attract people who feel they have something to complain about.

In summary, I thought it inappropriate to allow the thread to turn into a discussion of Sinead O’Connor or other users or indeed other public figures such as the Justice Minister. Yes my warnings may have appeared a little harsh, but in my experience on this site those sort of warnings tend to work. In this case it certainly did and the discussion has continued with far fewer reports being received

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The below seems positive?

“I cannot believe the amount of coverage Sinead’s death is getting in the Uk. I didn’t appreciate she was such a significant figure. There was a piece on a radio 4 program yesterday, another just now on Loose Ends and seemingly an obituary on another radio 4 program tomorrow. Plus all the newspaper coverage.

I’ve learnt so much about her over the last few days, heard about so many kind deeds. I know her family will have a different take on it though. Sad.”

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

What has that got to do with Tubridy and RTE?

If it was posted in the RIP thread then fine, but that sort of post just takes a thread in a different direction. Whether positive or negative these posts were deleted from the Tubridy thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Personally I quite agree that the Sinead O’Connor RIP thread was not a fit place to raise the issue of Ryan Tubridy. And has been pointed out, neither is really this one, as it's more concerned with moderation of Tubridy payments thread, so I likely crossed a line in raising a point about him here.

There is however one long and busy thread on Tubridy's €345K payments etc. Surely that is/was the place to raise the issue of Mr.Tubridy appearing to use the unfortunate death of Sinead to his own ends. But that thread was also heavily cut as far as I can see, with numerous posts removed and a warning from Beasty etc.

So you'd have to ask, where is the appropriate thread on which to discuss this matter? Not on the RIP thread, not this one and apparently not on the payments thread. It's baffling Beasty.

Advertisement