Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COYGIG - Women’s Football World Cup 23 **Mod Warning in Post #58**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭JKerova1

The mens teams have a decent record in tournaments apart from 2012. They made it out of their group in every world cup qualification which is more than Scotland can say. Probably not fair to compare the mens and womens teams as womens football is so far behind. It was a major achievement for the women to qualify and they did reasonably well for their first tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Mind you, I wouldnt mind supporting Scotland now.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,556 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Agree. The men had 100 years (1882) of playing international soccer behind them before they even got to a World Cup in 1990.

The women have been playing competitive international soccer since 1982.

Perspective required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Ironic you cited Roy Keane in an earlier reply to me and his dislike of celebrating mediocrity but now you are fully on board and in support of it, odd. More importantly this is isn’t even celebrating mediocrity, it’s celebrating abject failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But it wasn't a bad tournament for them either, far from it. A bad tournament would be Ireland at Euro 2012 : three defeats, nine goals conceded and only one scored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭zetor 4911

Well the manager should have subbed her if she felt tired

Bull.

I won't be on O'Connell Street or wherever it is.

That is my choice. You don't have to be either.

If people feel they want to do it, go ahead, they are celebrating what the team has achieved in their view.

I didn't say anything about Roy Keane's 'dislike of celebrating mediocrity'. I don't like Keane's uncompromising arrogance in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Bull you say…there it is in your own words good lad.

That is a simple statement of fact. I didn't agree with them, one way or another.

Many did find it embarassing.

Many will find whatever homecoming for girls is organised 'embarassing' and you will 'think we had won something' just like when they turned out in their many thousands for Jack's teams.

Also fact.

But many will not find it the least embarassing and turn up to show their appreciation. Fully entitled to, and good luck to them. I won't be there but so what.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭Gusser09

No she wont. America wont have her anyway. An unlikable lady by all accounts and reports we are hearing. Players now refusing to back her.

Her interviews sounding like Martin ONeill near the end here. Snappy narky responses. Almost disgusted the press should question her.

• Advertisement

Yes, And O'Neill was driven out as well. He got us to a finals and a playoff.

How did that work out for us ???

We cant beat Lux or Armenia.

Ireland playing beautiful football and getting anywhere is only a pipedream.

Of course our manager will be snapped up, and more appreciated as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Choochtown

The idea that Katie McCabe has tried to overrule Vera Pauw has come from 1 person only - Vera Pauw.

All Pauw had to do during the press conference is what virtually every experienced manager would do in that situation; immediately extinguish any idea of conflict. A simple reply of "It was nothing" and the press don't have their story.

I don't know whether it was very poor judgement or a pre-meditated attempt to take the gloss away from the performances of our most impressive player but she really has hung Katie out to dry by suggesting that Katie has targeted her own teammate for substitution.

At the elite level of team sport these sort of conversations must always stay within camp. When they don't there's usually trouble afoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Maybe McCabe was just showing a bit of leadership? Anyway, the manager doesn't seem to have ringing endorsements from the players. So she'll be on her way I'd think.

• SHRINK THE GOALS!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Fotish

Only one person at fault in this scenario, and it wasn't Pauw .

As for Tony O'Donoghue's question to Pauw " will you be at the home coming " , ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

I'm actually dumbfounded there will be a homecoming. Why oh why do we continue to celebrate mediocrity to this ridiculous extent in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,246 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

1 point out of 9 I think is bad. I am sure the effort made was very credible, from everyone but we didn’t get the results …. 2012 was also bad for the lads yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭crossman47

What else could the players say? The journalists were just trying to stir up trouble by asking them about the manager.

McCabe has clearly got too big for her boots by trying to get a team mate subbed. A touch of Keane's arrogance, I fear.

Words are exchanged all the time in the heat of battle in elite level sport and yes, often including between players and management

The press will always look for a juicy story on the back of a raised voice, a refused handshake etc.

99% of the time it goes no further. An opponent (never mind a teammate never mind your actual manager) at loggerheads during a contest will pour cold water on any attempt by journalists to get a story afterwards.

What is said in the heat of battle should remain just there. Except for a racist comment, it is very rare to see a player give any details to the press regarding what was said on the pitch. Even in instances where 2 opposing players have squared up to each other.

What Pauw has done at that press conference is at best very naive and poorly judged and at worse extremely vindictive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

Careful what you wish for. When players can decide who is or who is not the manager you are in serious trouble.

Maybe If Ireland defended better like pauw wanted them to do they could have gone into last game on two points knowing a win against Nigeria could have seen them through to second round.

Mccabe especially is one of the most overrated soccer players, but the reality is she is not even Irelands best player. That's Denise osullivan by a country mile.

Mccabe is a left wing back, she is not a good enough defender to play left full back and she is not creative enough to play left wing. Arsenal think the same. Over inflated ego.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

I have to agree.

This current Irish ladies team have an extremely toxic, entitled attitude. First it was the sectarian-chant-gate, and now McCabe barking orders at her management. They need a serious attitude adjustment.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭timmy2772

McCabe would really want to give the head a wobble. What an arrogant toe rag she's turning into. You simply do not carry on like that , trying to get someone substituted . She's so far up her own hole it's become embarrassing

I think it’s obvious that Pauw and the Irish national team are not a good mix. Whether it’s because Pauw’s abrasive style is not suited for modern footballers or it’s an arrogance and sense of entitlement from the Irish players. I suspect it’s both.

For the former I recommend adjusting to the modern players and for the latter it’s probably a lack of maturity, inability to stand up to the kind of scrutiny that comes with the big time.

All top sportsmen and women will come across as arrogant when they are trying to get any edge whatsoever to win.

The only reason that you think / know that McCabe was trying to get someone substituted is that Vera Pauw has broken a very important rule; one that is vital for team cohesion.

What is said within the team stays within the team.

No better way to destroy team cohesion than to announce in a major press conference that 1 player wanted another one substituted. This is information that the public were not privy to. Whether or not it is true, it has turned some people against Ireland's best player of the tournament, it has openly embarrassed another player (Farrelly) and I can't imagine the damage it has done within the camp and the friendship groups of both players.

Even if it was accidental, it's still not the way I'd expect an experienced international manager to behave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭cms88

But that's not actually true is it?

The first World Cup wasn't until 1930 so it would be quite hard to qualify for something that hadn't started.

She's like many female sports people; Know she can say anything she likes without the fear of anyone questioning her and if someone does she's just use the sexism card.

There were international matches and tournaments for years in men’s football before the first World Cup.

There was the home championships and Olympics and that was it. Ireland won the Home Championships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbf though, even just doing the world cup, they didn't expand to 24 until 1982 and 32 until 1998. It was a lot harder to qualify for a mens world cup in 1970 than it is to qualify for the womens one now.

Advertisement