Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,081 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

What think ye of the ad with the pair sitting each side of an infant in an incubator, muttering, in a darkened featureless room like a morgue. It's brutally scripted, directed and acted. Yer wan seems happy though, as I think she finally found somewhere to live, from that other ad she's in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭jackboy

The weird part is that they used a large obviously healthy baby. Would have been better if the filmed the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,050 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Webuyanycar.com. Just saw an absolute atrocity from them with this grossly obese chav woman doing some sort of twerking thing.

Similar car ad for a UK car supermarket (where they probably flip the junk from we-buy-any-car), has a similar chav purchaser, assisted by a slack jaw yob, who says, 'mohah' for motor, and 'Brihan' for his nation. Ugh..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

• Registered Users Posts: 5,050 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

This is it. Its even more annoying than I initially thought. Definitly one of those mute/change channel at breakneck speed ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

If its as bad as you say, then no way am I clicking on it. I'm not a masochist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭trashcan

Her voice is really irritating, (or rather, the way it’s recorded.) sounds like the microphone is inside her mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,989 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I have never ever seen an event being shilled so much by anyone let alone RTE. There is at least one 30 second promo during every single ad break on all their stations, sometimes twice. That's lost revenue, and this has been going on for over a month and is ongoing. It's been rammed down our throats. That's woke RTE for you, no wonder they're broke.

Over 1 million people tuned in for Limerick v Kilkenny in the hurling on Sunday. I do wonder about the Nielsen system though. It's a calculation based on a small sample size they use. 360,000 people used the RTE app for the women's football, while only 113,000 watched the hurling on the app. The difference there is likely down to people being at work when the football was on and not near a TV.

RTE said the attendance was 75,000 for Australia v Ireland. But it's like comparing apples and oranges, when looking at the price of the tickets for the mens and womens world cup.

A ticket for the men's World Cup final category 1 cost roughly €1,440. A ticket for the women's world cup final category 1 costs roughly €74, a child's ticket is half price. So you can imagine how much all the other stages below that cost by comparison. A category 1 women's group game costs €25, a child's ticket costs half that. A men's group game cost roughly €200, there's no child option.

The tickets for the women's final are 20 times cheaper than the men's. 40 times if you include the children and from the pictures I seen on the news, there's at least as many children there as there are adults attending. Category 1 by the way is the most expensive option. Category 3 women's group game tickets are €18 for an adult and €9 for children. The cheapest Category 3 group game ticket for the men's World Cup was €62.

75,000 for the opener. But today's game had a capacity of 20,000. I'm not watching the tournament but I'd wager there are even lower attendances in other matches. I don't hear anyone talking about the tournament besides the media, and the little pockets where RTE go to try and portray interest countrywide, like Dalymount Park. I don't see any flags or bunting up. I seen a solitary tricolour on one house, that's it. I went in to a few pubs today during the Ireland game, they were empty. I seen one young girl wearing an Irish jersey in a pub, that was all. It was horrible weather earlier, I don't know if that might have influenced some people. But the men's team have played at tournaments earlier than 1pm, on a weekday and the pubs were jammed. The Irish women's team are out now. I would say interest will fall off, but fall off from what?

Edit: HBF Park where the match was played today has a capacity of 20,500, I checked the attendance, it was 17,065. And this is in Australia where there is interest in the tournament. New Zealand had to give away tickets as there is less interest there, so I'm sure they won't have sellouts either.

And I checked the official attendance for Australia v Ireland, it was 75,784. Stadium Australia has a capacity of 83,500.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mod: move the conversation on from the the World Cup please; think we've all had enough Protesting Too Much about why we shouldn't be allowed enjoy the WC.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Not sure I like the Allianz GAA ad but at least it's something different from the usual:

Commitment. Bravery. Strength.

On every other GAA ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭giseva

The Sky ad is infuriating. Apologies if it has been mentioned already.

Herself:

"Quick, what are we watching?"

Himself:

"I got this"

He then proceeds to speak to the remote control for guidance, an action too much of a challenge for herself it seems.

"What should we watch?"

When posed the question by herself, he should have responded with:

"First of all my PC spouse, I don't got this. I got nothing, I'm dead behind these eyes. The only thing I got is no idea. No idea why you're asking me in the first place. My decision making ability disappeared when I decided on this absolutely shite hairstyle.

Actually, hold up, I have decided something. I have decided that if you don't get yourself up from that sofa and start exercising, I'm going to stick my head in the oven and finally end this misery!"

....or something along those lines.

Lidl & Aldi ads also make my skin crawl!!!

Yea, I gave it the treatment on the 23rd June. Have a read back. I'm now being punished as the fkng thing keeps popping up in my youtube favorites. I'd love a button on the remote that displayed a virtual boot going through the screen, replacing these ads with an image of broken glass, smoke and dangling bootlaces for the ad duration. Might make a nice android TV app.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭giseva

Awful, I've had to start muting it and the "I like it like that" aldi ad when they come on, and stare at the TV in anger 😅

The Aldi ad, swap smug faced 'Shove-on' and her ridiculed husband with the paddle board. Have a MAN sneering at his dopey wife's personal purchases. Sit back and watch the Woke feminists wading in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭Unearthly

This is genuinely one of the worst things ever. What were they thinking

"epilepsy inducing flashing montage of people in GAA jerseys with some sort of humming going on in the background"

That sounds exactly like Coppers, or maybe a nightclub on the Playa del Ingles in the nineties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Acosta

That Baileys slurping ad is headwrecking. It's currently on TWICE during ad breaks on sky sports news.

Speaking of slurping and other liquidy sounds, these were advertised to rehydrate and replace electrolyte (after a nasty dose of the runs). Note they're called ORS. As in the D4 pronunciation of Arse. Appropriate. "If you've a runny Ors, run out and get some ORS!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭oneweb

Nespresso guess which yuck-flavour capsule yer wan from Sex Education/Brigerton is going to pick out of the bowl... Ending with yer wan shoutiing beyyyyyy like some yoke from Ballymun/Ballyfermot/Ballycommon-as-fook. And that STUPID "catchphrase". Unbelievable.

It is what it's.

The sugar loaded bright pink drink ad with da yoofs in da car "bopping" along to No Scrubs (1999, I'll save ye the time it's not worth looking up) on da stereo. What the actual, it's like an ad exec found the video tape down the back of the couch and thought shur why the hell nawt, Nigel, throw it on the telly for a stint.

It is what it's.

There's one with (John?) Craven from Countryfile for a washing powder where he clearly misjudged the timing and gets faster towards the end before the inevitable even-faster disclaimer at the end. Annoys me 'cos I know it's going to happen. No-one thought to tell him, mate that was shīt, we'll need you to do it again.

It is what it's.

Billboard ad for extra-length lighters with who I presume is a famous American home-maker housewife type and her candles and famous American Snoop Dogg and his not shown drugs. Ad companies are just getting lazier when it comes to localising by country (also see my "Out July Twenty Nine"-style movie ad gripe).

It is what it's.

Is that yer wan with the 'smells like my gee' candles? Jeremy Clarkson made a version in his farm shop, 'smells like my bo**ocks' scent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Acosta

So then, a new moronic lotto ad campaign has kicked off. I wonder how many followups we'll have to endure 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

There is something very unpleasant and nasty about that ad. The more you see it the more it stands out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭littlevillage

I'd say its getting pretty difficult to come up with "good" adverts for Alcohol. Soon they will be purposefully vague with loads of warnings (like what happened to Tobacco advertising in the 80's/90's, where the product isn't even mentioned directly or the financial regulator blurb at the end of financial ads) .

Eg. Alcohol causes false euphoria followed by confusion, impaired dexterity skills, sudden mood swings and possible amnesia. Prolonged use of alcohol will require a Liver transplant

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭squonk

Yes. Ok fir one or two turns it was kind of funny in spots but it’s striking me at this stage it’s a bit like paddywhackery as it seems a bit too oirish. I’m also questioning the ‘friends’ publicly ridiculing various people but sure it’s all grand afterwards when you have a pint. Disgusting actually. I feel like maybe I’m stretching but at a time when mental health is rightly getting some proper recognition, it doesn’t seem like a good message, particularly with alcohol intrinsically involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭jackboy

It’s drunken slagging which is common. The reality would often be a lot worse.

Advertisement