Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Francie won’t bother doing any such thing.

You said it all yourself, you avoid areas you think you would not be welcome.

That immediately says there is nobody in that group of paraders from those areas.

And I think we can all figure it out from there without pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I didn't say a single word about how things SHOULD be. I said that how NI fans are received in Andytown is about as representative of how your culture would be received in a United Ireland as a bunch of Republicans dandering down the Shankhill or Newtownards Road is representative of how Irish culture is received in your Union.

It was quite obvious.....it is exactly what I said.

I doubt you could find anyone to wind up or taunt in Zagreb or Stuttgart.

Bottom line, if you taunt or try to wind up, you won’t be welcome just like English/Dutch fans etc who do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

It’s always themens to blame francie isn’t it

Wasn’t me who raised potential problems. Nor was it me that revealed that a group of NI fans avoid areas.

• Advertisement

I am fairly fed up with your attitude. I was talking positively of my experience watch GAA on Sunday. You have dragged it down again. You have made stuff up.

you have implied GAA people wouldn’t support ni, which is bigoted stereotypical nonsense.

you have accused me of saying that ni fans avoid areas. Again lies. Having said that, of course most fan groups around the world will not be drawn to areas that will likely not tolerate them.

I then mentioned that I think we should be considering casement for our biggest games - I named traditionally the biggest game as an example ie v England. You then took the discussion to far right and told us how England fans all behave badly - another bit of stereotyping nonsense.

i think this is relevant as posters here keep telling us that a new Ireland would respect northern Irish. It will be a test and a shame if our fans want to use casement and feel unable to because some republicans won’t tolerate green shirts because they have the wrong badge on them.

I have been swung to the idea of Casement being great for our big games. Windsor will still be our home but when we need more seats it should be Casement. The unknown is acceptance in Andytown. It could be excellent for growing our fan base. The ni fan scene will be infectious to many kids watching who would not traditionally have been close to GAWA.

I am genuinely interested whether you think there will be an acceptance initially, growing to a warm welcome, when they see how we behave.

there will be a job to ensure no fans on the edge see it as an opportunity to wind up the locals. I don’t think any work needs done on flags, songs, etc. that is all sorted.

can we progress to being welcomed along the Falls road? It would be great for further encouraging the ni identity, should a Ui ever happen.

here’s a wee video I took at one of the last away games I was at, of the crowd starting to gather for the procession to the ground. I am interested do you see anything the slightest offensive and not acceptable in the streets around Casement?

Post edited by downcow on

Nobody said 'all English fans' downcow. If you want to be coy about the reputation and history of the behaviour of English fans then a few here have put you straight on that. If you want to ignore the links between soccer support, Combat 18 and loyalism in the recent past, sorry not everyone else can.

It is also you who keeps saying things that require questions.

Why (and what are you doing) would soccer supporters parading with drums and singing need to avoid areas or why would they 'raise tensions'?

Nor have I done this:

you have implied GAA people wouldn’t support ni, 

Nobody else has done this either.

It is YOU who is anticipating acceptance problems. Again and again you have implied that the soccer team is 'ours'.

Who is 'ours' and why is it not 'everyone's'? My reasonable contention was that those parading and singing are from a section of the community that you call 'ours' and that is why it is avoiding areas and othering those who live in Nationalist areas around Casement.

That is all your doing. Maybe like bonfires and some of the OO's actvity you just don't see yourself saying these things and doing these things?

In NI and a UI, if your behaviour is causing tension and confrontation you will be forced to modify that behaviour or it will not be allowed at all. Your community's experience with the Parades Commission should tell you that.

Offensive? Not in that video, no.

Is it something I'd want going on in a residential area if I was living there? Regardless of team or sport, hard no from me.

Between the smoke bombs, huge amount of visible littering and drunkenness, I'd imagine I'd find it quite disruptive to my peaceful enjoyment of my home. Indeed I did find it so on occasion when living on Malone Avenue. While I'll take your word for it that things have improved since then and the sort of chanting I regularly heard isn't as common now, it certainly wouldn't have made the local residents of Andytown particularly receptive to the crowd.

Also unrelated to specifically NI fans, but I often wonder about perception vs reality for the warm welcome soccer fans claim receive. My own suspicion is that in the midst of their revelry, they only notice the handful who engage with them and disregard the much larger number rolling their eyes as they pass, or those who are visibly uncomfortable with a large, loud drunken crowd but unnoticed by folk who have clearly had a fair aul sup.

I'd agree here.

I could show you similar behaviour at an Ulster final and it is as raucius and drunken as that which downcow posted. It doen't take place in residential areas though but on the main street and is engaged in by only a few.

The GAA know they host the final in a small town and work with the locals to mitigate the effects on those inconvenienced (not everyone understandably is a fan of the game)

They will have plenty of experience in handling large events. If supporters groups of NI soccer wish to work with them and observe decent behaviour guidelines while accessing the stadium I don't see any problems.

• Advertisement

Food for thought here about the failure of NI on many fronts and the challenge ahead for those who defend it remaining in the state it is in.

Francie you claim “Nobody said 'all English fans'downcow.”

actually Francie this is exactly what you said:

“Would you expect the English crowd to mis-behave en-masse as they have done around the world?”

Emma Desouza? Are you serious?

just saw this poster today, maybe Emma could address it:

If you are correct then GAA should do the reasonable thing and call it out. It seems they are riding on the back of a euro ££££s football bid, to get a flash new stadium. It would be a bit disingenuous if they said afterwards ‘we don’t want football fans here’

En masse, meaning groups of English supporters. And there is, as others and I have shown, many instances of groups of English supporters causing serious trouble here and across Europe.

They can say that whenever there is trouble. Just as the aforementioned English fans have been banned including the many innocent fans.

That’s what troublemakers achieve - pain for everyone.

You should learn from the Parades Commission, nobody in NI or a UI is going to put up with that.

Why do you people think anyone is going to leave their own country?

Strange response to a quite detailed critique of NI and why it continues to fail.

What sh*te are you talking now? I'm not talking on behalf of the GAA or anyone else. You asked me if I'd find it offensive, I gave my opinion. I wouldn't want that behaviour anywhere near my home. I lived close enough to Brewster Park growing up to know that it is not the behaviour I would typically expect from the crowd at a GAA match, and certainly not the sort of behaviour folk would be boasting about.

Casement rebuild was agreed long before the Euros bid, and would be happening regardless. The GAA being gracious enough to allow it to be used for a specific event doesn't give you free reign to consider it another soccer stadium any more than if we thought the turnout would be a bit sh*te for the Ulster final we could just decide to land over to Windsor since it was also funded.

It is you that is talking total shite this time. There is no way Casement will be built in the foreseeable future without the Euros deal. It is the key to unlock the money.

I think you are completely misunderstanding my point about football crowds. You, and the residents, are absolutely within your rights to oppose football crowds. And no way should they be imposed on that community if they don’t want them. I am just asking for integrity. Say that up front now, and Casement won’t be built to the standard being proposed.

I haven’t seen this confirmed anywhere, but it would seem inevitable to me that eng, roi and ni get automatic qualification to euro 28. It is then certain that Casement will be OWC home stadium for the tournament. I think it will be an amazing success and bringing the rich OWC culture, respectfully and well-behaved, right into the heart of west Belfast. There may be a tiny minority of belligerent republicans that try to oppose it but the PSNI will just keep them well back at a viewing distance.

Interesting letter from Sinaed O’Connor (sf member)

basicslly

sf is corrupt, contains child abusers, has those at the top who hide child abuse, hierarchy needs to leave, etc, etc (nothing new there)

Most interesting, she would not even consider a unified island being called Ireland.

I was going to say to shinners, who needs enemies when you have friends like this. But actually, from a unionist perspective, who needs friends when we have enemies like this 🙂

• Advertisement

See you're still trying to position my opinion as the opinion of others. I've said I wouldn't want that behaviour on my doorstep, that's my opinion and mine only, shared only because it was specifically requested. Casement being used as part of the Euros has already been agreed by the GAA, and I'm not a local resident, so your little victim complex, 'oh they don't want us' hand wringing is completely pointless.

Nevermind the absolute nonsense of bringing, 'Northern Irish' culture (which you've thusfar been entirely incapable of defining, but going by your video, apparently is loud, drunken buffoonery).....to f*cking Andytown in West Belfast, which last time I checked hadn't been moved outside NI. Further cements what everyone else suspected by your refusal to define, 'OWC' culture; you see it as straight up British Unionist culture, but want to have your cake and eat it by pretending it is inclusive of those who don't identify as British.

The automatic qualification certainly isn't inevitable. I've no idea why you think NI would be given precedence over Scotland or Wales. Given that it is a UK and Ireland bid, I can see why the RoI team might, but I wouldn't even describe that as inevitable. I've seen talk of a UK and Ireland mini-tournament mooted for example. Even then, only two host countries are guaranteed qualification. The rest will go through regular qualifiers.

As for, 'it would never be completed without the Euros bid', supported by an opinion piece (with your evidence being a handful of the sort of gobsh*tes who phone into the Nolan show saying there's no money. Economists all of them I'd imagine.......) I'll point out that the DUP and TUV are still trying to oppose it despite the bid, and also that funding was agreed at the same time Windsor and Ravenhill redevelopment were funded. Regardless of DUP gurning, and a small sect of Unionism pulling the, 'why are they getting more' because they don't understand the concept of inflation, Planning Permission was the major blocking point for the redevelopment of Casement. Could the work have been further delayed? Of course, I have no doubt at the ability of the DUP to try and block anything that might feasibly benefit, 'themmuns', but with or without the Euros bid, Casement was happening. If this is the mental gymnastics you need to feel better about, 'themmuns' getting some funding though, work away.

You didn't bother to answer if you'd be alright with the GAA hosting a game in Windsor Park if they thought the crowd would be too small to justify using the redeveloped Casement Park? Given that the Windsor Park redevelopment was public funded also, you'd hardly be a hypocrite here? You'd be delighted to see fellas walking respectfully along the Donegal Road in GAA jerseys bringing a bit of, 'OWC' culture there for an Ulster final, right? They probably wouldn't make half the mess of the ones in the video you were boasting about and all. You'd welcome seeing the PSNI preventing the local residents from opposing it and keeping them well back too?

Nevermind the absolute nonsense of bringing, 'Northern Irish' culture (which you've thusfar been entirely incapable of defining, but going by your video, apparently is loud, drunken buffoonery).....to f*cking Andytown in West Belfast, which last time I checked hadn't been moved outside NI. Further cements what everyone else suspected by your refusal to define, 'OWC' culture; you see it as straight up British Unionist culture, but want to have your cake and eat it by pretending it is inclusive of those who don't identify as British.

So 'inclusive' is it that they are self avoiding areas where it might 'cause tensions'.

@downcow, if you are already accepting that the behaviour might cause tensions in areas at this moment maybe you should make the decision not to engage in it in areas around a new Casement? It is by your own admission 'organised' by only a small part of the support, so why not organise it to happen well away from the areas you think it may cause tension?

Would that not be the most sensible and inclusive thing to do?

The English made such a mess of security for the 2020 Euro Finals the onus will be on the UK this time to get it right, this would help ensuring they restore their reputation.

The development has been met with excitement from British and Irish football fans - but concerns have also been raised about the capacity of police to handle the event following the chaotic scenes at the final of the Euros at Wembley Stadium in 2021.

Dal Babu, former chief superintendent in the Metropolitan Police, told Sky News the event was a "disaster" and there is "a lot to learn".

You disappoint me fionn. So many twists and turns. I’ll try and briefly address your points in ni particular order.

When you say “Further cements what everyone else suspected by your refusal to define, 'OWC' culture”; Are you speaking for ‘everyone’? Stop silly claims that you are not claiming to reflect the views of others.

You say “The automatic qualification certainly isn't inevitable. I've no idea why you think NI would be given precedence over Scotland or Wales.” I said I didn’t know about qualification I said if qualified it is inevitable casement is home ground . My question is based on, I believe because ni ground is being used, it is very likely there will be automatic qualification - certainly England and Ireland have no greater claim.

GAA is played at Windsor May shock you that residents have no problem diversity, but that’s because you believe all the shite about windsor.

I am sure it would be completed in some form without euro support but def not to the standard proposed.

some posters, I think you included, seemed uneasy about ‘football crowds’ being around casement. Yet you have said yourself that the GAA has agreed that ‘football crowds’ will be around casement, and posters on here say they take the interests of residents in mind, so there should be no problem

You say ….you are already accepting that the behaviour might cause tensions….

I said no such thing. I even posted a wee video of what I regard as the most excessive and boisterous behaviour of the GAWA. Everyone who commented on here said there was nothing offensive going on. So if there is any tension it will obviously be belligerent republicans who can even look at this non-offensive behaviour. So stop misquoting me

FFS, you can't just keep pretending you didn't say things when it suits. Here you are saying you would proceed along a route designed to ''lower tension':

Then an hour or so before kickoff a few drummers will appear and thousands will walk behind them as they snake past the pubs. It will be a very noisy singing colourful procession. I would imagine, to lower any tension, that ‘parade’ will not travel through west Belfast but will make its way down Lisburn road and up stockmans lane.

Nonsense. Posters have clarified that the behaviour (which I posted)of ni fans is not an issue. But I am still convinced there will be issues near casement and Psni will have to keep belligerent republicans at a distance so their intolerance of anything northern Irish won’t ignite. It would seem sensible that fans would not go anywhere else that had belligerent republicans that would require further Psni resources. But once casement area has matured then I think fans could extend acceptable routes.

If the behaviour is 'not an issue' why would it cause tensions and why would you be picking routes to 'lower tension'?

You are all over the shop here.

I've said nothing about football crowds around Casement, I don't live around Casement. I said I wouldn't welcome the behaviour in the video you shared if it was outside my home. I don't care what sport, or what team the crowd are supporting, I wouldn't want a bunch of loud drunks screeching outside my house. You've run with that and started rambling on with your, 'well the local residents should all just tell us we're not wanted' victim complex. For the millionth time, I speak only for myself.

I'd like to see your evidence of GAA being played and welcomed at Windsor Park. I suspect you tried to Google this and saw the headline of a parody article and didn't bother to read the substance of it. Your claim that the local residents are welcoming is at odds with the UVF flags plastered along the streets alongside it and I've certainly never seen it on a fixtures list, nor did I ever see anything GAA when living nearby. I can put a bet on I've spent a damn sight more time in the area around Windsor than you have, so drop the, 'believe all the sh*te'. I've experienced plenty of it directly.

You seem to think NI automatic qualification is assured because Casement is being used; there are stadia in five jurisdictions being used; England, Scotland, Wales, NI and Ireland. You didn't just say that Casement would be NI's home ground, you said that it is INEVITABLE that England, NI and RoI get automatic qualification, read your own bloody post.

I've asked why you think NI should have precedence over Scotland and Wales, who will also be hosting the tournament and I'm sure would feel just as entitled to automatic qualification that you seem to think is inevitable for England and NI.

I'm glad we're in agreement that you were talking b*llocks when you stated that Casement wouldn't be built without the Euros though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i think all anyone needs do is read this thread and they'll get an idea of how unionism thinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Young people from nationlists backgrounds play and support NI now which makes sense. That cant be inferred that they want the failed jurisdiction of NI to still exist, it is just a team that represents where they live in 2023.

It hasnt been explained what "OWC" actually is but i presume it is for unionists who want the failed jurdicition of NI to continue to exist. You cant infer all NI footballers supporters are OWC then but they might think they "own" it. Everthing in a sectarian environment has to be owned by one sect it appears.

I dont think there will be much of an issue regarding NI playing at Casement. I wish tho London intervenied here and made them get rid of both Windsor and Casement and have one big stadium in a neutral area in belfast that could cater for Football GAA and rugby. Then it could not be "owned" by anyone.

But lets face it London does not give a **** about what is good for NI or trying to rid the sectarian problems. Out of sight out of mind.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement