Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saudi Pro League and Transfers 2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Did find it amusing that Messi has been (and still is) only too happy to take the Saudi money and promote the country etc for the World Cup bid but he couldn't bring himself to actually living in the place :D

I know he got massive money to go to MLS but still I'm sure the Kingdom of Saud would have matched whatever the Americans had put together for him, I suppose all except the marketing and brand support which he wouldn't have been able to get their.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Florida or a despot country, no brainer!

Messi is balls deep with the Saudi's already anyway. Now he will also have the American market basically to himself. Plus, that Apple deal is worth a small fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Not much difference between the two with the way Florida is going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

I thought I read somewhere that 1 of the conditions was they couldnt take the money out of the country. I could be mistaken. I stand open to correction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Wonder if Messi teases the Saudis with that sexy robe the Qatari lad made him wear before he lifted the world cup.

I find it ironic that they are so homophobic in those countries and they don't see anything odd about one man dressing another in a nightie.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

You need a load of pissed up fellas to create an atmosphere, good luck with that in Saudi Arabia.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

You’re not comparing Henderson with Osimhen are you? Henderson is on the way out. Osimhen hasn’t even reached his peak. Who cares about Henderson, Osimhen going there would be sad, a player of that quality still developing but checks out over there only for the big bucks that come with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

I'm not comparing them from the point of where they are in their football careers but how much you would not expect it to happen.

Nobody would have expected Henderson to go there given his stance on the LGBTQ community and the like. However he did so my point was you just never know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Fairly big one this so I'm surprised there's not more chatter about it. Neymar undergoing medical at Al Hilal ahead of a move to Saudi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Neymar and Saudi are suited - not surprised.

Haven't heard this, how would that work?

I think they have to stay 2 years to avoid paying income tax on it in Saudi is all I have heard, I didn't look into it at all. With footballers and finances it tends to be too webbed to work out tbh

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Who cares about Neymar though? He semi-retired when he left Barca. Averaged less than 20 league games a season for PSG. Played more games in 4 seasons in Spain than in 6 in France.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I think rather than the player the price paid to PSG is more significant in this case, 90 million euros which indicates that the Saudi clubs are willing to spend big money on fees as well as wages. That may have a knock on effect going forward.

Facts, same as Messi and everyone else who went there - became instantly less relevant. Also why Mbappe will never be truly judged until he leaves the league. Nobody cares about French league or numbers in said league.

Ibra had 38 goals and 13 assists in 31 league games during his final season there in his mid 30s. Nobody was clamouring for him to win a Balon D'or.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

According to Miguel Delaney, Neymar was touted around all the elite clubs and only Barca showed any interest, and that was a loan deal.

Just shows you how finished he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Amidst all this big money floating around on midfielders, the most confusing transfer this summer for me is Frank Kessié to Saudi for 12 million euros. In the context of a broken Fabinho for 40, Lavia at 50+, Caicedo at 100+, etc etc its crazy cheap. Especially going from a club desperate for money - Barca should’ve been fighting hard, pushing him around Europe to make way more on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

I hate Neymar but that is some weekly wedge that i do admire, fair play to him. Could have been a world great if he applied himself but didnt and isnt.

I have zero admiration for him and that Sportwashing mercanry league - 2 million a week, for kicking a ball in the dessert

I watched highlights of a game in the league on YouTube, one featuring Benzema.

Poor crowd in the stadium. Poor standard of players. It's pretty clear the money is talking, but surely someone as good as Benzema has to be asking himself why did he decide to sell his soul to play in this Mickley mouse nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

In reality he had one good season and the rest has been over hyped and woefully inconsistent. Fee probably more to do with barca being desperate though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Will Neymar go down in history as the biggest flop for his transfer to PSG? A world record fee and by some distance, with zero Champions Leagues, zero Balloon d'Ors, and injured or unavailable for over 50% of PSGs games.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

Rumours that Jota is leaving Al-Ittihad Club one month after joining. No official reason being given..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Seen a few rumours, strange choice if true but you never know.

Back to Celtic?

They need him badly.

😂.

For all the endless dirty money in the Saudi leagie, they will never be able to produce the atmosphere , passion and rivalaries of leagues in England, Spain and Italy, not to mention Champions league nights. Millionaires playing dessert football in the searing heat , really a charade of Sportwashing - hope it fails and players start returning after seeing through the corrupt conditions, masked by the obscene money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The Saudi Pro-League is going to have a seriously negative impact on European football at the top level in general but I'd say the biggest single impact will be on the Premier League.

Spain and Germany will be impacted too but, aside from money, they have a more attactive package - better standard of living, nicer climate - than much of England can provide.

I'd be concerned for English football. Some top players as we know haven't been shy about criticising places like Manchester or Birmingham as not being very nice. They definitely aren't there for the weather. If it wasn't for the money they just wouldn't be there. Now there's a League that is nigh on impossible to compete with on top player transfers throwing money around like confetti and it's gaining pace.

Be interesting to see how this all evolves but definitely the Premier League looks the most vulnerable.

aside from the ethical side, not everyone like playing or living in a desert - they can not match the tradition, rivalry of matches likes Manchester United/Liverpool derbys, Champios league nights - I know where Id prefer to play and live, the likes of a washed up Ranaldo and Neymar will certinly go, and take the dirt money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I dunno, got to a CL Final, got to a CL Semi Final, turned up at a World Cup while at the club and performed strongly.

I would agree it wasn't worth it, but "biggest flop of all time" seems a bit far off imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Instantly elevated the perception of PSG as well. Which was a large reason for the transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Correct

They lost a CL final to a great Bayern side 2 - 1 while missing a few chances

And lost a CL semi final to City when Pep's men got every bounce in the first leg in Paris.

They were in the mix at the sharp end of the game, the margins between winning nothing or winning one or two CLs is quite thin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Jeju

Firmino and Henderson both want out from the Saudi League some possible reasons given by media outlets include poor attendance at games, limited nightlife, WAGs unhappy and climate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

"Limited nightlife", lol where the hell did they think they were going??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Who in their right mind moves to a different country and obviously does no research? Especially a country that couldn't be more different than England culturally, climate wise and not even look into the league they are heading to. 10 mins on the Internet would have answered those questions. Wouldn't have been blinded by the cash by any chance🤔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Well duh but Iam sure they were sold a perfect scenario and yes money will dictate most things. I wouldn’t judge too much, I wouldn’t believe everything said, I would believe that living there is a lot harder to adjust to than most might think.

When people judge these players, it makes me laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Henderson's family aren't even living in Saudi Arabia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Think Firminio and Henderson will be the first of many. Truck load of money is no use when you can't go anywhere to spend it, particularly when you're already wealthy beyond compare. Throw in the standard is poor and crowds are awful. Hope the whole thing falls apart, kip of a country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I thought most the players were living in Bahrain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Living there is a lot harder than most might think? I think most people were able to figure out fairly quickly that living in Saudi Arabia would suck...

Those players saw the money and said **** it ill live a shite life for a couple of years and make bank. The reality of the situation often doesn't settle in until a bit of time has passed and you're actually in it.

As said before, these are also people who already have enough money to 99% of things they'll ever want to do. The motivation just simply can't be as high to ride it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Pro footballers generally lead a pretty low key life,

Most marry young and make families. They train daily and not much else, having a good family environment is important to them but they have been blinded by the money. You have lads going over there on big money already, it all just seems a bit pointless. The likes of Henderson have probably made enough money to leave his children's children rich.

The US has similar culture to UK so I can see the attraction while sacrificing the quality of football, but they are moving to a country with no rights and under Sharia law. The difference in culture is quite jarring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It'll be far from shite, lads. They'll be living in massive villas in compounds catered to them with a surprising amount of Western outlets to cater for them. Most will be granted special visas for this but maybe some are in Bahrain, as many normal Joe soaps do.

You can tell a lot of posters in here have never been to the middle East.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

This just sounds like an expensive prison to be honest. It's the location that's the issue not the facilties.

Also these are people (footballers) who are already secure financially. They don't need the money. Motivation that the ordinary man would have, they don't have to the same level.

You don't see many Joe Soaps with decent / higher paying jobs here pack it in for a life in Saudi Arabia that often I would imagine. I certainly don't know of any.

The only people I've known to go out are teachers looking for work, or people who haven't secured the job / pay they wanted here.

It's not like people going to Oz or Canada for arguably better standards of life.

It's not hard to see how a footballer would have regrets after the reality sets in.

• Why on earth have La Liga taken their super cup games there. Surprised the fans allowed it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Just regular old greed really I think... Pique and Rubiales - the lad who got turfed out of the Spanish FA over the women's team scandal - negotiated a massive payoff for it, a hefty chunk of which went direct to them. Was just the final first, but unsurprisingly once that door opened even a bit it wasn't long before it got shoved wider. Think the Spanish league and clubs are all skint enough that they'll back anything that gets them more cash.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Zero sympathy for Henderson. After all his posturing about LGBT rights goes to a strict Islamic country for the cash. The interview he did after moving there was a car crash, I'd respect him more if he was honest about his motivations. I wonder will he stick it out when he realizes he's tax liable if he leaves now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Nailed it. Leading up to the Qatar WC there was a lad on local radio here defending their treatment of foreign workers, claiming any negative stories coming out about Qatar was all propaganda from their neighbours and praising it as a great country to live and work in. His morals have been compromised by the fact that he moved there and is now far more successful in his field than if he had stayed in Ireland. A dream job, real wealth in the bank and newfound security would completely change most people's perspective. His life there is great which makes it easier to justify (read: ignore) or explain away the negatives of life and society there.

Footballers heading to these places already had their dream job, dream life and money in the bank before they went to the Middle East, so the most obvious positives for foreigners moving there has little effect on them. Simply adding an extra zero to their already large bank account isn't going to satisfy the mind as they are now learning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

I see Henderson is having his contract terminated in Saudi and joining Ajax, what an absolute embarrassment for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Henderson has made a complete show of himself. Lied through his teeth in his interviews and has barely lasted 6 months.

Deserves all the criticism he gets.

• Advertisement
Advertisement