Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does the rest of the country dislike Dublin so much?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

A historical tradition. In some of the earliest Irish manuscript writings, people were complaining about Dublin and the rather irksome inhabitants of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Its simple, people don’t like Dublin because it’s a kip and full of bleedin’ dubs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

It has Croke Park..but maybe you’re from Mayo? ;-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,870 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I suspect the OP was poisoning the well with the term "culchies".

I don't hate Dublin but as capital cities go, it's pretty grotty and unimpressive. I prefer virtually every other capital city I've been to to it. The place just feels dirty, the transport infrastructure is abysmal and there's just not much to do in the grand scheme of things. Ireland's quite a wealthy country now but the place has barely changed. Last time I was there, I was asking for coins from friends for the bus whereas here in London and even in Sofia and Bucharest, you can just use your credit card directly.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 25,478 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think any anti Dublin sentiment is overstated….

In terms of Gaelic games I’m sure there is certainly levels of derision and distaste considering Dublin’s enormous success and long term decade plus long dominance of football , but that’s sport for ya…11 out of 13 all Ireland’s from memory…

lots of family friends from outside Dublin who love visiting, nothing but love for Dublin and the red carpet is rolled out in return when we ever get down their way…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Your typical Dub honestly don't give two flying f***s what folks from other counties think of them or the capital.

I think that's what annoys those who like to complain about Dubs and Dublin so much the most.

The fact that their opinions are like water of a ducks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,734 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I loved going to visit Dublin for a gig, event or shopping spree etc., but now so expensive for train and accommodation which I suspect is all high in all cities same with crimes

I do not hate Dublin or it's jackeen residents

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭GSBellew

I think the issue is more to do with the notion that anything outside Dublin is culchie.

Decades ago Dublin had shops that were not in the rest of the country, now every backarse town and village has a Costa & Starbucks, Dublin offers nothing that is not available elsewhere.

Dublin is a small fish in a small pond, people in Dublin think they are in Manhattan whilst Dublin is really a Redneck capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭maccored

because they think everyone's a 'culchie', yet most of the dubs I know cant even drive

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I'd assume the OP's a dub and gives two flying **** 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There's a glut of coffee shops all over Ireland, everywhere you travel, including Kerry. 😛

There’s that legendary Dublin wit as well. Go and hang your balls off the 5 Lamps etc. The amount of grotesquely obese people living in slum parts of Dublin would suggest that opening JustEat is a way of life for many of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,707 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

This is true in my experience. Irish girls from rural areas are attracted to Dublin and Dublin men and this drives other men nuts.

The city being the cultural epicentre of Ireland with a vast array of amenities, museums, galleries, restaurants etc.. makes it more attractive. I often here country girls visiting Dublin that they love the Dublin accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭corner of hells

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Haha, nice one.

The D4 brigade can be infinitely more obnoxious than others in Ireland, possibly only equalled by the 'People's Republic of Cork' types.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Relax brah

So dubs are now responsible for the fact bus eireann don’t take cards? LOL. Dubs don’t use public transport, culchies do. Which is probably the reason Bus Eireann haven’t bothered to fix them

• There is definitely an anti urban tone in Irish’s discussions. It’s also not just applied to Dublin. Some of the bile that gets directed toward Cork can be absolutely vicious and it’s rarely from Dubs btw in that context. I saw a lot of it online when Cork City was hit by floods. People being just nasty and suggesting it should be bulldozed, is a kip etc etc. I even had a comment on a forum elsewhere saying that “I hope ye drown” - not one bit of concern or sympathy, particularly from the rest of Munster, which is sad considering it’s a major city in Munster. There’s no sense that it’s “our city” I don’t know if that comes from the GAA shirt mentality or what, but you see it a lot in Ireland. It’s a sort of a vicious begrudgery.

Limerick also gets stereotyped over what was in reality a gangland issue which was very narrow and limited. I’ve heard people making absolutely ludicrous statements about the city being unbelievably dangerous and so on. It really isn’t. It’s quite pleasant to walk around and very vibrant.

Galway seems to escape most urban criticism by bolting itself to a rural identity somehow.

While Waterford seems to just get completely overlooked as if it doesn’t exist most of the time. It’s a bit like “oh yeah… and Waterford…”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

@Relax brah "Its a broad statement yes and of course not all culchies feel this way"

I think you've answered a big part of your own question there with your own choice of words. It's not universal but there is significant proportion of the population of Dublin for whom only two worlds exist; Dublin and the rest of the country, and the latter is definitely inferior in their minds.

I remember first having this brought home to me when I was working in the office of a well known Dublin business while in college. It was just peppered into the general conversation, from the 20 something at the next desk who was aghast that her friend was "marrying a culchie", to the colleague who passed me the phone when a perfectly well spoken supplier rep from outside Dublin called because I "might be able to understand him".

If people's experience of the capital is coloured by people from the capital obviously treating them, or their place of origin, with disdain then it's not surprising that this will be reciprocated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

@fly_agaric "Yeah the govt. are based in Dublin but it is very much IMO a rural govt. for a rural people (which is fair enough, how could it be otherwise in a democracy with a PR voting system)."

That's another common aggravation, the lazy generalisation that, in Ireland, urban means Dublin and a resident of inner-city Limerick, for example, is a rural culchie. In reality, the entire population of County Dublin (including the rural population) is less than half of the total urban population of Ireland.

Your argument is based on the illogical assumption that somehow everyone outside Dublin, from a Cork city restaurant owner to a Donegal hill farmer, has some shared interest which is catered to by our national politicians, to the detriment of Dublin residents. It's a viewpoint that sees Mayo getting new roads approved when the Taoiseach at the time is from there and views it as 'them down the country' getting one up on Dublin, without taking into consideration that this new road in Mayo does bugger all to improve the lives of people in Cavan or Carlow. It's just the flipside of the 'them up in Dublin' rhetoric employed by certain populist gobsh!te TDs and neither deserve any credence.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,870 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Maybe read the actual post before you make a snarky comment.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭BrianD3

In the GAA, if you have two neighbouring clubs or counties, the less successful one will hate the more successful one more than the other way around. The lack of hate on the part of the better team drives the lesser one nuts as it sends a message that the lesser team is not a worthy rival and not important enough to hate.

There's also a phenomenon where counties far removed from Dublin will hate Dublin more than counties closer to Dublin. The issue here is the persecution complex, scarcity mindset, paranoia and begrudgery of rural Ireland. The worse the land in an area, the more cagey and cute hoorish the locals are and the more they hate outsiders. They also think people in Dublin are idiots for being friendly and open with people.

It's also true that country women are attracted to Dublin men. The effects of a bigger genepool and more diversity, sees to it that men in Dublin are more "exotic". If you are a woman from say, Cavan, every man you'll meet in your home area will be called Brady, Smith or Reilly. You're going to have a far better choice in Dublin. This drives the Brady, Smith and Reilly lads nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,569 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Lots of issues with this post, not least being the drunken individual being in Butlers and making comments about the coffee in the first place. However, one person makes a single comment - uncalled for, but he was drunk - and this translates to large numbers of culchies hating Dublin? That's some leap.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Lol, most Dubs are only a handful of generations away from "culchies". You'd swear they were Dubs since Viking times or some sh1t the way they go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Its not just a GAA mentality, though the GAA are great at harnessing ita power: Local rivalries are played out at club level, though once spring comes round and its All Ireland season, we'll band together and go after bigger fish.

Its a tribal inferiority complex, the opposite of punching down. Get a group of people with some nebulous sense of community together and find a bigger, more influential/powerful other to 'hate'.

Forget Dublin; look at our relationship with the UK and specifically England. We care a lot more about them than they do about us. At the same time, we look down on the smaller Wales and NI while our attitude towards Scotland changes like the seasons. Similarly, England/the UK care a lot more about the States and the EU than either do about them.

I'm from Bray, its top of the pile in Wicklow and we sneer at others from the rest of the county (and the influx of commuter Dubs means the 'everything that isn't us is culchie' attitude prevails to an extent) but then we go into Dublin and we're looked down on as a mix between scumbags and culchies.

I live in the south of Spain, there's quite a strong regional identity here and there's frequently an us vs. them (i.e. the rest of Spain) slant to things. But when things are being debated on a regional level, everyone turns their hatred towards Seville, the biggest city. And so on and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Last time I was in Dublin, I didn't see so many 'Dubs'.

Every other person I passed on the streets were guests from other nations.

But Dublin in itself is disliked as it sucks up too many resources and generally has notions. Just look at the whole childrens hospital saga - had to be built in the city centre because Dubs brains go blank when then get past the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Drunken Kerry man in Butlers.

Surely the backward culchie was the one with notions ?

• I wonder sometimes if it’s amplified by the history of The Pale?

I have Dublin City Centre relatives who can be absolutely mind boggling. For example when I talk about something in the middle of Cork I get “I suppose there must be a few shops in *the town*.”

We also regularly get people giving us 7-digit landline numbers failing to mention they’re 01 and then wondering why there’s been confusion. Just as an example, an American colleague of mine was given a Dublin number and was repeatedly calling someone in Mayfield in Cork City because they didn’t bother mentioning it was 01.

Likewise she was sent on a wild goose chase to pick something up from a PR company at 124 —— Street and went to an address in Cork, because they didn’t bother mentioning and it was a ludicrous request anyway.

I’ve also had someone suggest that we “drop” something from Youghal to Clonakilty… It's over 100km between those two places. Same distance as Dublin to Tullamore!

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Dublin isn't the real capital and they still think it's the centre of the universe!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's ridiculous really, people going on about hating the council estate and D4 types. They have exactly these type of people all over Ireland, the strongest most D4 accent I ever heard was on a girl from Kinsale. I had 2 flatmates in London who went to private schools and were from Mayo and Westmeath but they had the full on rindabite accents.

And not everyone hates their capital, I lived in London for years and never met any English people who hate the place and I've friends from different parts of England.

I've had to go to Cork a couple of times in the last year for work, I had never been in the city properly before. It's nice enough, much of it dilapidated, and had some addicts and teenagers in tracksuits going around that looked the exact same as the Dublin ones. Also a man went down the South Mall topless on a sulky one evening which I found funny. So basically it's nice in parts and has the same issues as Dublin on a smaller scale, you could say the same about most urban areas in Ireland.

You see the best and worst of Ireland and Irish people in Dublin in my opinion, I try and focus on the positives and have a nice life here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

The soft people from the south?

London is ripped apart and the butt of a never ending amount of jokes from all over England.

You're spot on the Cork thing. Some of the strongest "D4" accents I've heard is yummy mummies from Cork

Advertisement