Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does the rest of the country dislike Dublin so much?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Again, I've never experienced this, most people love London regardless of where they're from, it's an international mega city that has everything. The Southern poof thing isn't really a reflection of what people think of London.

I never got the hype about Galway though, everyone who hates Dublin seems to go on about Galway like it's some paradise. Maybe I went to the wrong places but last time I was there I saw about 3 fights breaking out, pretty sure they were all travellers though so maybe there's a lot of them in town at night.

It's a couple of streets surrounded by a never ending traffic jam and constantly raining. Nice and all but I much prefer Waterford or Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

You must have insulated yourself.

Pretty much every non London based comedian will have a crack of them.

Any northeren pub will rip the piss out of them constantly. No different than Ireland.

Isn't Galway just a square with bad traffic management?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's an ugly city, made more dull and depressing through the greyness of it all. Even on the better days, it still manages to look grey, which wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't dilapidated and dirty as well.

What you're saying could be said about any urban area in Ireland, but in Dublin it depends where you are. In fact we get less rain that anywhere else in Ireland so we're less likely to be grey and depressing than the rest of the country!

On a sunny day go around Merrion Square park, Iveagh Gardens, Stephen's Green etc. I think they're gorgeous areas on a sunny day, as nice as anywhere.

• Advertisement

• There's one other thing I've noticed quite a bit which is aimed particularly towards Cork and Limerick, and it comes from rural Ireland. There's a cohort in the midlands primarily who see Ireland as "Dublin" and"non-Dublin" and they make the assumption that there's just one city on the island and therefore Cork for example must be something comparable to a small town or that somehow someone sitting in the middle of Limerick City should drive a tractor, because that's all they know and they apply a rural stereotype to all places that aren't Dublin.

They go 'up to' Dublin once in a while and they never go consider maybe visiting another city. I've encountered that quite a few times and it's really surprising, as you'd think the commentary would be more likely from a Dub.

I've also encountered incredibly ignorance of Ulster in Cork. For example, I've connections to Donegal and I have been asked several times if it's in Northern Ireland !!?? "Do ye get RTE up there" that sort of thing. I also know a couple of people in Cork from Monaghan and the number of times they've had to explain that Monaghan is NOT in Northern Ireland is just beyond ridiculous - including someone suggesting they should probably fill in a customs declaration in the post office, which isn't even required for NI, let alone for Monaghan !!! It's like people just have no comprehension of geography.

I know it's far away from Cork but seriously ... can people really be that ignorant of Ireland's fairly simple geography?

My other pet peeve is Dubliners who think they've no accent. Many of you have REALLY REALLY strong accents - so strong it's not always easy to understand, yet everyone else has 'an accent' apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭BlueEyeGleams

each other

Interesting, we can wish they were merely but these things always seem to boil over in the wake of another GAA defeat you get the impression rival counties would sooner see them wiped out. Only to be caught between in the stark realisation it all comes around as all roads not lead not just to, but from Dublin indeed the only people I have seen rise above and coalesce most eloquently are those branded “far right” who seem to not so much put aside their differences in recognising as fellow Irish they have none. Here’s hoping we can retain our mannerisms without gouging each others eyes out and wishing each others’ heads roll. Always someone in the wings to take care of that..

• I've been in Galway a few times and I don't get the hype myself. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems quite dreary to me and quite rundown looking / tatty in a lot of areas. I'm not saying that's also not true of other Irish cities, including Dublin, but it just seemed like a lot of hype that gave me high expectations that weren't met.

• Again, I find the assumption that everyone in Cork should speak in extremely strong Cork accents is about as ludicrous as expecting that everyone Dublin should sound like they've a stall on Moore Street or selling wrapping paper on Mary Street.

The D4 accent isn't even from D4. Hardly anyone in D4 speaks like that. The old Ballsbridge accent is a bit stuck up old world Dublin and most of it is actually Ringsend, Irishtown etc and is quite docklands accent.

The so called D4 accent is just contrived suburban Ireland with a twinge of fake American.

Cork, Galway, Limerick, Waterford etc all have areas and individuals with very posh accents. I constantly hear this "oh they're culchies pretending to be from Dublin" commentary is a bit ignorant. Some of the grandest accents I've ever heard have been from parts of Cork City, so have some of the most extreme urban Cork accents too.

Ireland's accents are all a very mixed bag and can vary over tiny distances in the cities.

I don't expect people from Cork to all have big bogger Cork accents.

I also don't expect someone born and bread in Douglas to sound like they're from Donnybrook but a lot of them do.

I can call it a contrived suburban ireland accent with a twinge of fake american but when I say "D4" people know what you're referring to.

You seemed to be annoyed at the semantics of it rather than anything else.

"D4" covers all matter of sins

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

• What I’m saying is the D4 accent is NOT a Dublin accent, it’s a post 1980s cultural phenomenon that is something individuals seem to apply.

If you went back before the 1980s the equivalent contrived accent sounded quite upper class English. That went out of fashion and got replaced by some version of pop culture American and Irish accents mashed up.

It’s exactly like some actor applying their theatre lovey accent. Or some of the accents that are emerging in England too. You’re seeing similar in the U.S. with regional accents disappearing fast. For example Massachusetts residents suddenly sounding like they’re from LA.

Those kinds of accents are just fashion and identifying with a particular cohort.

The one that worries me is my niece is picking up that squeaky annoying almond synthetic American English accent you get in Japanese kids cartoons and calling the bin the trash / garbage and corrects people to say candy instead of sweets!

I'm not sure what you're arguing about.

The original point was on that "D4" accents are all over Ireland.

I agreed with that stating the strongest ones I've heard has been in Cork.

Your point is it's not from Dublin. Which I believe was his point in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭whydoibother

I like Dublin too. Just a pity it’s all so expensive there.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Fox Tail

Perhaps its because Kerry coffee options are still stuck in the 70s?

He must have been really critical of Dublin when he found out people in the city dont use heating oil.

Exactly. Dublin is the best county by far to live in. It has the best of everything the country has to offer and it has the most variety of same.

But those not familiar with it think all 25 postcodes are the same as D1 and nothing could be further from the truth.

"The greatest trick south coastal Dublin ever pulled was convincing the world that it looks like D1."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭passatman86

It actually is a very historic feeling. You see back many many years ago the average culchie country man/woman gained anger and resentment towards Dubs because Dublin got the first ever Irish franchise of mcdonnalds back in the dark times of may 1977 - and the culchie country man/woman had to make do with super macs back in 1978..

Although slightly older generations would blame the division in people because way way back in 1969 Dublin got the first ever Penny's store, while culchie country women had only to make do with stores such as woolworths

Hope these major issues help answer your question sum what

Whats unusual (and great) about Dublin as a capital is that it has all the benefits of the countryside, but has the vibrancy and entertainment of the city also.

You have the beaches, mountains, forests, huge parks and open fields, but you can actuall cycle or walk to them in Dublin rather than having to drive everywhere like you do down the country for fear of getting run over because there are no pavements.

Going for a nature walk in Dublin is much easier than it is down the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,707 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Why does the rest of the country dislike Dublin so much?

Old fashioned snobbery.

Some people think they're above anyone that lives urban. They consider themselves superior, wealthier with bigger houses & cars, they sneer at public transport, consider themselves more honest & trustworthy & more down to earth. A lot of them identify as farmers even though they've no connection with the land and live a life more or less identical to urban dwellers if a little less healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Galway is weird. Some nice bits but cheek by jowl with tatty parts and bits that look a bit Oirish diddly-aye theme park all hammered with the weather coming in from the Atlantic making it wet for 360 days a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,478 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If people don’t like Dublin,

if they want to keep bitching about it….simply enquire..

if you don’t like the place / the people…. Why do you go there ? Don’t go there ! ….stay away from it….🤪

” err well, work an an an…”

you have the benefit of being able to live and work, not only anywhere and everywhere in the country, but anywhere and everywhere in the EU…. Without having to ask anyone’s permission….or putting too much of a considered effort to make it happen. You can shop online, anywhere….you can probably live x years and never require to set foot in the place.

so it’s not a case of the majority of people disliking Dublin…it’s the majority of people of a certain persuasion prefer to complain about Dublin….probably because they think it annoys Dublin people and it gets the most attention…

Dublin is a city while not perfect, it has some very prominent difficulties right now… but if you’ve ever travelled there are far less pleasant living experiences on this continent.

I always thought I’d like to go live in France having lived and worked there briefly… the state of the place now with violence, terror, cost of living , huge slews of non intra continental emigration having an impact on many other aspects of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Not sure why this is getting blown up so much. All over Ireland you have rivalries.

Cavan and Monaghan

Mayo Galway

Cork Kerry

etc etc etc all "hate" each other and would make similar comments. Such is the way.

Do people say Dublin is a kip, yes....but the same person will be in Cork next week and call that a kip, Galway the next etc etc.

there are vast swathes of France where you wouldn't have to see any black people, you don't have to go to the big cities, you'd be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

There is a Kerryman I know who lives and works in Dublin who when he returns down to Kerry is slagged about his 'Cafe lattes' etc.

Being a Dub with country parents of a certain vintage (born 1940's) I understand. My father in particular would hardly even know what a 'flat white' is.

It shocked my father when Hummus was put in front of him once (what's that? He asked three times), when my mother tires to feed him rice/psata (instead of Spuds) he looks at it as suspicious as a dog looks at new dog food. His first question is 'Is there no spuds no?'

He is extremely suspicious of fancy restaurants and hates going to a place that would give you food where you can see most of the plate. He would much prefer a carvery - where the meat and spuds are lashed on in piles. As would I, I took after that part!

I know it is slowly changing as per the demographic. But country people (particularly the older ones) are suspicious of cosmopolitan 'notions'. It is the GAA - cabbage and bacon and a pint. Anything else gets a raised eyebrow.

Then you add in factors that there is a natural antipathy between urban/rural and Dublin being the capital. You have everything up in Dublin etc. The national radio is Dublin centric. And the country people out west (in particular) feel that the only thing they get that Dubs don't - is rain!

Country people don't like change or change to show off - notions. Your 'flat white' is notions. It is not traditional - not Irish.

If you look at country funerals v Dublin ones is a different world. Down the country a wake and open casket is still common. The windows are even left open to let the spirit out. A lot of (older) country people would view the Dubs as materialistic, less spiritual, closer in mindset to England or America.

There might be a grain of truth in it I don't know?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭delboythedub

This is what happens when somebody leaves the Gates of the local nursing home Unlocked

Given country people live in enormous mansions and have multiple cars etc., how can they call us in our shoeboxes e-scooting 20km to work every day materialistic?

As for flat whites etc., in pretty much every busy village and town in Ireland now you can get an oat milk flat white and avocado toast in the local cafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Jackiebt

Hilarious calling Dubs hooligans. I was on the Hill for the final on Sunday and a few hundred Kerry supporters, also on the hill were an absolute disgrace. Throwing full bottles of coke, flares, coins, and anything else they could get their hands on. I've been going there for over 40 years and have never seen Dublin supporters at that, plenty of banter but never throwing objects randomly into a crowd where kids are. Animals.

Ah the difference is their 'mansions' are the norm - much cheaper to build as well!

Then they would be quick to mention how down the country they have paid water rates for years....but up in Dublin etc etc

The older brigade would associate the avacados and flat whites as Dublin notions. They would prefer a flask of tae like they used to at the bog.

I mean it may have been true RE materials 20 or 30 years ago, but now everyone has the same identikit furniture from IKEA and Harvey Norman and the same food in their kitchens countrywide, given we all have access to the same stuff these days. RE Water rates, we pay much higher property taxes, most of which go to other county councils instead of being spent on keeping dublin in shape, and then we get given out to because the place is such a kip!

• Advertisement

I just saw Dublin and Cork mentioned there in your article.

That is another big divide - Cork viewing themsleves as the 'Real Capital' and Dubs calling Cork 'Cork Village'.

The first time I went to Cork City I could not believe the proud 'Corkness' in the place - it is a real thing. Ask for a Guinness - 'we don't sell that here boy - Murphys'.

They heard my Dublin accent in a chipper and all turned around 'ah there's a jackeen'

But Cork is it is own exception they think they are as good if not better than Dublin - plus not slow in saying it.

--

A lot of country people are naturally quiet as well more humble quietly watching but curious at the same time - they would view the Dubs as full of swagger with zero substance to back it up - 'mouths'.

But yet a country fella is great at asking questions but would be very slow to give anything away. The Dub would not be slow in boasting - that would be the country perception

Advertisement